Slk-948u

ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
edited July 2004 in Hardware
Enough was enough, the stock A64 cooler is just too much to bear. A loud, whiny beast that performs ok but is noisy as hell.

So I got one of the Thermalright copper badboys & a vantec stealth 92mm fan.

Easy installation and wow, difference.. temps have dropped 5c and it's whisper quiet :D

Any Athlon 64 users fed up with the stock cooling, get one of these :)

Comments

• rykoryko new york
    edited July 2004
    I love my slk-948u...try an 80mm fan on there to see if your temps drop at all. I lost 2 degrees when switching from an 90mm to an 80mm sf2.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    ryko wrote:
    I love my slk-948u...try an 80mm fan on there to see if your temps drop at all. I lost 2 degrees when switching from an 90mm to an 80mm sf2.
    agreed.
    I have a 92mm tornado if you want it shorty ...I downgraded to a sf2 and my temps are better even at 3/4 throttle.
  • edited July 2004
    Glad to hear it's performing well for you Shorty. You should have took me up on that 948-U offer; Gnome sent me both his 948's for the price of 1 and I could have saved you some dinero, I think.:)
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    I would have taken up ya offer Jim.. but it's weight would have cost a fortune for you to send and then I would have got stung for import duty :(

It does work damn well though.. I only paid £20 for it :)
  • edited July 2004
    That's a hell of a good deal for you Shorty. :clap: I imagine that it would have been more expensive for shipping alone for me to send that 948 to you. BTW, what kind of import duty and VAT would they have slapped on it, since it was a used part? For shipping purposes I would only have declared it worth $5 or so (whatever that is in pounds).
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    I got a deal from a friend...

£145 for the SLK, fan and a CO stepping Clawhammer 3200+ (1mb Cache) :D

Putting together a second A64 rig with the MSI K8N I got for £45 recently, not for me.. it's err.. for .. eerrr... someone's... errr.. birthd... yeah...

Anyway..

Even as a gift.. the weight would have added £20 on it.. easy.. they are real ... sssshhhhhhhhhhh's about it :rolleyes:
  • edited July 2004
    When you come over here to the states this year, you definitely have to have some extra baggy pants so that you can fill the old pockets up with trinkets and such like processors and heatsinks. They really tax the crap out of you all over there. :eek2:

Another idea is if you have any friends that work a schedule here in the states. I worked on a rig about 1 1/2 years ago where they had about a dozen Brits working a 21/21 schedule and the company paid their plane fares (Rowan Drilling Company) both ways. Some of those guys were always bringing stuff back from the states to the UK. One of them I was well aquainted with while on that rig was even planning to do a swapout with an old laptop. Come over here with an ancient lappy, buy a new one here in Houston and then fly back with the new one.:cool:
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited July 2004
    I can't even hear the fans on the heatsinks on the dual opterons even when the case is open sitting right in front of me. I was told they were the stock retail heatsink/fans? Maybe the slow opterons have a differant heatsink huh?

All the ones I have purchased seperately were the big zalman 7000's. Huge round copper heatsinks with 92mm fans. They spin slow and are very quiet. Been very happy so far.

I think the amd64's have been great for the reduced heat and noise on my end.