Old compaq

BaLLeRBaLLeR Boca Raton, Florida
edited July 2004 in Hardware
Hey guys, i have an old compaq presario 5000 with a celeron 664mhz, its really old. Anyways i also have this p3 1.0 ghz cpu on a motherboard that doesnt work anymore. I deceided to switch the two, anyways talkin the heatsink off the celeron was a pain and i think i hit the motherboard w/ the flathead screw drvier, now it doesnt go past the startup screen right when you turn it on. thanks for any help.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    It probably doesn't work with that particular processor. If the celeron was 667, that's a 66mhz bus processor, and that P3 1000 is probably a 100 or even 133 mhz bus proc. Your ram is probably PC66 and will not work with the p3 1000. Try putting the celery back in the computer to see if it boots. If it doesn't, you screwed up the motherboard and you may as well trash the whole thing. :(
  • BaLLeRBaLLeR Boca Raton, Florida
    edited July 2004
    this is what happen in more detal. When i took the heatsink off the cpu (the celeron) i sorta hit the motherboard with the screwdriver, so, i go to see if it still works buy turning it on w/o the heatsink, this is even before i put in the p3. Also it was workin before w/ 1 stick of 64mb pc100 and 1 stick of 128mb pc133.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    sounds bad, man... sorry :(

I've broken motherboards in the exact same fashion... :(
  • edited July 2004
    Unless you are real crafty with the solder, the mobo is toast. If you can see where the connection is broken, maybe you can fix it, but its probably not worth the time.