Or software?

botheredbothered Manchester UK
edited July 2004 in Hardware
Hi again guys,
I don't know if this is hardware or software but here goes.
IE isn't working on the kids PC. I ran spybot, adaware and virus check, Thats all clear. If we try to connect we get a message, no connection to the internet. No MSM, email, ping or network, nothing. I tried a repair install of xp, still nothing. If I unplug the Cat 5 cable from the PC or the router it tells me a cable is unplugged. I ran the connection wizard to remake a connection, that didn't give any errors.
Anybody got any ideas? please.

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    I would try switching out your NIC, if it works, then you have a bad NIC currently. Then if it still doesn't work then maybe something is up with the router or whatever you have connected for the internet.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited July 2004
    There is no nic, it's onboard lan. The router is working fine with my PC. If I unplug the cable at the router or on the PC a message pops up saying cable removed.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    I would then add a NIC, cuase I have had built in NIC's fail on me too, although they broke cuase I broke them ;)

It sucks to add a PCI device, but to find out whats wrong, it is best to find out what IS working, I would try it at least. Or wait till someone who is better at this than me to come around and say something better ;D It usually does happen :P
    edited July 2004
    Cheers RWB, I think I have a NIC in my box 'o' bits and I have another CAT 5 cable somewhere. I'll have to try it tomorrow though as I'm off to work shortly.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2004
    Try booting in Safe Mode and delete everything under Network Adapters. This will force Windows to rejigger everything, hopefully solving the problem.

You could also go to System Tools>System Information>Tools>Net Diagnostics and post the results here.

Other common troubleshooting ideas are checking to see if the Onboard LAN is disabled in the BIOS (I don't know how this happens, but it does...), checking the NIC settings in Device Manager and toying with the Media Type settings under Advanced, and re-running the Network Setup Wizard. I'd also try bypassing your router temporarily to see if it makes a difference.

Run the attached file and click "More Info>>" and post a screenshot. This will tell us what your computer thinks it's connecting to.
    edited July 2004
    Thanks prof, I've got to leave in 5 mins but I'll do that tomorrow and post back.
    I did check the LAN in bios, it was still on.
    edited July 2004
    Well then prof, you fixed it again for me.
    Under network adapters there were around 7 items, it would only let me uninstall two of them (in safe mode) When I clicked ok it then found new hardware and reinstalled them right away. I rebooted and everything works again.
    I have given the same advice to somebody else in the past, uninstall in device manager, but I never thought of doing it myself yesterday as I had a virus in here as well that I had to deal with, sort of side tracked me.
    Many thanks prof, If you're ever in the UK I'll get you a pint, or make you a brew.
    Thanks again.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2004
    bothered wrote:
    Many thanks prof, If you're ever in the UK I'll get you a pint, or make you a brew...
    It's a deal. I like my tea plain, thank you. :) :ukflag: