New Laptop Suggestions

PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
edited July 2004 in Hardware
Hey guys and gals

Im looking to buy a new laptop, I want it to cost no more than 1200$. Any suggestions? Im starting to see more and more peopel have problems with Dells, so Im not to hot on the idea of getting a dell. I dont need anything for gaming, but I want it to be fast and of good quality all the same.

Comments

• TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited July 2004
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    I also recommend powernotebooks.com, I've pretty much decided on one but have put off ordering it.
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited July 2004
    or www.pctoque.com

got my laptop from them

they sell the same laptops as the above
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    I can't say anything about any of the above reference because personally I have never used them. However if I was to go out in the next month and purchase a laptop I would def. choose a Dell. Primarily because Dell makes very good laptops and they have been in the business for longer than most people can remember. Those other companies come and go so fast, its just a gamble. Just check the dell website reg. for specials sooner or later you will find yourself a _smokin_ deal. My friend got a Pentium M lappy with a free 512 ram upgrade for right at around ~1250 (free shipping tho).

just my 2 c :\
  • edited July 2004
    jared wrote:
    I can't say anything about any of the above reference because personally I have never used them. However if I was to go out in the next month and purchase a laptop I would def. choose a Dell. Primarily because Dell makes very good laptops and they have been in the business for longer than most people can remember. Those other companies come and go so fast, its just a gamble. Just check the dell website reg. for specials sooner or later you will find yourself a _smokin_ deal. My friend got a Pentium M lappy with a free 512 ram upgrade for right at around ~1250 (free shipping tho).

just my 2 c :\

I've owned 2 Dell laptops and they were fairly reliable, but nothing spectacular. Both of them had the backlight on the LCD go out after the primary 1 year warrantee was expired (thank God I had bought the extended warrantee) and my last one also had a hard drive failure and cd burner failure outside of the 1 year warrantee. All problems were fixed at no cost to me and within a week of shipping it for repairs. What really decided me not to buy another Dell this time around though was them outsourcing their support to India or wherever and having to deal with those folks that can't speak English worth beans. :mean:

I bought my new laptop from the already mentioned www.powernotebooks.com and I've been satisfied with the laptop 100%. These people also have been around a while and have a 10.0 rating at resellerratings.com with over 700 reviews. :thumbsup:
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited July 2004
    i can remember my dell 8100

man that thing had almost averything replaced at least 1 time somtime 2 to 3 times(they just died)

the only thing that was not was the bottom case and the HD(go figure that one IBM 48 gig drive) :eek2: also the CPU an 1.2 gig proc
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    they have been in the business for longer than most people can remember
    You must be quite young! ;D
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited July 2004
    I would have to agree the rest who say www.powernotebooks.com is the way to go. I dont own one, but I have heard nothing but good things. They have stuff i wish my lappy had like extra drive/battery bays etc...

I have a dell lappy and know a lot of people that have dell lappys.. I have had a lot of problems with mine, mainly because of pisspoor design, and tech support sux a$$. And they really are nothing special at all. But the design flaws are my biggest nag, especially after they claim they have great design engineers in their commercials.
  • edited July 2004
    I just ran across a neat link on who actually makes the various laptops for companies like Dell, IBM, Toshiba and even Apple. Here's the link and it it's fascinating about who actually build the laptops for these companies. :thumbsup:

BTW Compal, who is the company that built my laptop, is also an ODM for Dell, HP, Toshiba, Acer and Apple (15.4” wide screen notebooks and 17” PowerBooks).
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    my only issue is that these laptops cant really hang with dell in price. this laptop is for a potential client. i told him i could get him something better than a thousand dollar dell, that costs about the same. im starting to think i was wrong, im not finding much better deals. powernotebooks.com is pretty much the same hardware as a dell for the same price, but without any software. you gotta count in the fact that ill be spending money on winxp home oem.