6800 GT price hike!

edited July 2004 in Hardware
Dunno if this belongs here. If not, by all means move it to where it does.

Has anyone else noticed the prices on 6800 GT based cards have jumped from ~$360 to over $450 in the past day? Is there some sort of shortage I haven't heard about?

Comments

• JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited July 2004
    Yes, there is even more of a shortage on 6800 Ultras.

Once hey become more available im sure the price will go back to normal
  • edited July 2004
    Crap!

Well I hope they go back down real soon...
  • edited July 2004
    The lowest I've seen the 6800GT is 399 and it went up to 409 before they came in stock.
    I've seen them as high as 540 on newegg although anyone that pays that has either too much money to know what to do with or is on drugs.
    just my personal view on that last one.
  • edited July 2004
    I have to agree with your assessment, madmat. I'm just happy I have a 9800 Pro AIW already so I don't need to go out and spend megabucks on a new vid card any time soon. :D $500 for any vid card is out of my buying league for anyone's vid card; it hurts bad enough putting out $300-350 on one for me.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Of course the price is going up ;D

Every technical forum's readers has clued in that that it's a kickass card that's far too cheap.. so naturally.. they are selling very well and the manufacturers/resellers can make a little more on them ;)

That's economics ;D

Jim.. I totally agree with you... so Il repeat :D
    Shorty wrote:
    500 extra 3dMarks will not increase your sexual prowess, your frags per hour, the size of your e-pen0r , your lifes longevity, it will not make you hip, cool, trendy and will not get you laid.

You are not your 3dMark!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Dude, an extra 500 3dmarks <i>will</i> make you cool if you have the right friends.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Thrax wrote:
    Dude, an extra 500 3dmarks <i>will</i> make you cool if you have the right friends.
    But .. you are one of my friends.... :p
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited July 2004
    AFAIK, the major retail-chain stores are getting like 1-2 boxes each week of these cards (read: 10 cards a box), and are selling them out like mad.

Some places have them on backorder for cheaper.... like Buy.com for $330.00 USD and Provantage.com for $340.00 USD, but you could be waiting a long time to get your card. EVGA.com has their version available for pre-order for $399 USD, but you may be able to find a better deal by holding out a little longer.

There is an extreme shortage of 6800GT & 6800 Ultra cards, although EVGA has managed to ship more units than other companies (IE BFG, PNY, etc...)