windows login problem

RiddickRiddick Malaysia Icrontian
edited August 2004 in Science & Tech
heya guys,

my friend has just encountered a problem where now she is unable to log in to windows(at the user login splash screen). she has two accounts.. and she claims one is disabled.. i take it that that must be the guest account. an error message saying the profile is corrupted is given whenever she tries to log in to her account. is there any way around this besides a reformat?

thanks !

Comments

• gtghmgtghm New
    edited August 2004
    If I remember right, if you can get into safe mode or one of the other accounts then you can go into the control pannel and either disable the other accounts completely or change the passwords and stuff so you can log in to them.

The key is you have to be able to boot into a login account that has adminstrative previlidges.

"g"
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    When the machine was setup there is an administrator account that is not normally visible :)

You can boot into safe mode as GTGHM says.. and log into the administrator account, save her profile somewhere for later information retrieval.. then nuke her account to make a new one :)
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited August 2004
    She will have to create a new user profile if it will not let her into her account.

EDIT: Damn everyone post at once, haha
  • RiddickRiddick Malaysia Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    ohh right ! i remember if you repeatedly whacked F8 while it was loading it would come out with a splash screen with a login name "Administrator" that was default there right? (aside from other logins present).

//edit : shorty, how do you "save" the profile? or the stuff inside it? lol
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited August 2004
    Riddick wrote:
    ohh right ! i remember if you repeatedly whacked F8 while it was loading it would come out with a splash screen with a login name "Administrator" that was default there right? (aside from other logins present).

yep
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    You can also hold down the Ctrl+Alt+Del at the user screen and it will switch from the multi-user login to the old fashion login. Then type administrator and the password is usually blank.

To save the profile, go into the Documents & Setting folder and rename the folder that has her login name on it... Then the next time she logs in, the OS will create a new profile.
  • RiddickRiddick Malaysia Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    ok doke! problem solved.. thanks again guys!