Building a TiVo, a Step at a Time (Article)

Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
edited June 2003 in Internet & Media
Wired News: Building a TiVo, a Step at a Time
Forget TiVo and ReplayTV. If you want a really super-duper digital video recorder, you have to build your own.

All you need is knowledge of Linux, plenty of cash for hardware and, if anything goes wrong, hundreds of hours to troubleshoot the device.

Thanks to several open-source projects, you can build your own digital video recorder that will blow boxes from TiVo and ReplayTV right off the shelf.
"I always wanted to buy a TiVo, but I thought it would be pretty cool to build my own," said Isaac Richards, who runs MythTV, one of the most complete home-brew DVR projects. "Trouble is, I definitely don't watch as much TV as I did before I started this project. It's more fun to work on it than it is to watch TV."

Richards, a 25-year-old programmer from Cleveland, launched the MythTV project a year ago with the idea of building a simple, highly configurable DVR.

Link fixed!

Comments

• edited June 2003
    omega- Link's dead
  • CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
    edited June 2003
    Save your time and money, and just BUY a TiVo. I own one, and I love it. I can't say enough good things about it. Seriously, drop the coin and don't look back.
  • MarkTAWMarkTAW Brooklyn, NY
    edited June 2003
    I always thought a Shuttle / ATI Radeon 7500 would make a great TIVO replacement. Plus it'll give you gaming and Web TV, and everything a regular computer gives you.

Best of all, no subcription fee!
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited June 2003
    I've been planning on building a home-theater system to play movies; never thought about using it to record television as well. I wouldn't want to run Linux on it, though. Are there ANY projects under development for the Windows OS? The article didn't mention any.

I'm basically planning on getting a relatively slow Athlon (Maybe I'll retire my 1600+ to the task one of these days), giving it 256MB of memory and then jamming 500GB of storage in the thing. I haven't decided on RAID 1 or just normal IDE mode.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    CaffeineMe said
    Save your time and money, and just BUY a TiVo. I own one, and I love it. I can't say enough good things about it. Seriously, drop the coin and don't look back.

Good! Do you know if it works with DishNetwork?