Comedy of Tragic Errors...Help?!

PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
edited August 2004 in Hardware
I'm looking for help with some computer problems I'm having. I just moved and bought a new case, so after everything settled down I rebuild and reconnect all my computer components into the new case. Everything is fine and computer boots, but CPU temp is extremely high (~65C). I remove the heatsink/fan, clean it and the CPU, and reapply AS5. When I turned power onto the PC, I stupidly forgot to connect the power lead to my 9800 PRO. I immediately get a nasty warning on the screen during boot about the power lead to the video card not being plugged in.

I shutdown the system, plug the power lead in, do another check to see if I missed anything else, and power the system back on. Temps drop by 20C and everything looked normal in the BIOS. I try to boot Windows, but no matter what I do it either doesn't make it or hangs a couple seconds into Windows XP startup. I'm doing no overclocking, but I shut the system down, clear the CMOS/remove the battery, reseat cards, check cables, and even underclock my CPU. Nothing works. Now I'm thinking I may have fried my 9800 Pro, because whenever Windows XP manages to boot I get a freeze with a red line at the top of the screen.

So I reseat the video card, reseat it's power cable, make sure it's cooling fan is working, and power the system back on. Now here's where things get even weirder.....the BIOS now hangs at the CPU and memory info. It basically says I have the 1100 Mhz CPU and 512 MB memory and goes no further. I unplug the computer, discharge the CMOS with the jumper, and even remove the battery, but I can't get the computer to boot past those same two lines.

Any help or suggestions are welcome! I think I may have fried my video card and my mobo. PLEASE HELP :bawling: or Wife is going to be angry wif me :rarr: !?

Thanks,
Preacher

System Specs: Nothing overclocked
Thermaltake Xaser III Case
Abit NF7-S
AMD 2500+ with Scythe Kamakaze2 Fan
512 MB Kingston HyperX RAM
FIC ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
Vantec 520W Power Supply

Comments

• PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    I think I just heard a cricket in this thread.

Still no luck...so I just ordered a bunch of replacement parts....I reseated everything, did everything on Abit's site, but something is still wrong.
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    I hate to say it but my guess is processor. Any chance you can run the proc, RAM and vid card over to a computer shop to have them bench tested? If they all check out, you're down to mobo/HD/PSU.
  • edited August 2004
    Try reseating the hsf one more time, Preacher. Maybe it got cocked just a little bit somehow and part of the proc's core is overheating. I've had silly stuff like that happen before.
    edited August 2004
    Well, keto, I actually hope you and muddocktor are correct. It costs twice as much to replace a 9800 Pro as a 2500+ Barton. I'm going to remove the heatsink and CPU, clean and reinstall just to see. I've got some replacement parts from Newegg on the way, so I should be up in running tomorrow regardless.
    edited August 2004
    Well, now that it's all said and done...it was actually just the mobo starting to expire and finally dying on me. The good news is that I'm just going to RMA it with Newegg.

Thanks for the help and advice though.
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited August 2004
    Glad you got it fixed before Frances gets here!!
    edited August 2004
    How'd you know my wife's name was Frances?!?! :wink:
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited August 2004
    I was referring to the really mad one out in the Atlantic that'll be here sometime this weekend. Notice I said HERE, I'm on the same coast as you!

Flint :eek2:

Nothing personal about you're wife!!!
    edited August 2004
    Nothing personal taken..I was just joking wif ya. And yes I'm glad it's working in case I get stuck inside with bad weather from Ms. Frances.