DELL P1110 monitor too bright

Comments

• P991-DELL-SONYP991-DELL-SONY California
    edited July 2006
    VMS EddieF wrote:
    Can i manually place the files where they go? I did this, actually have one in system and other in system32. Should have my cable in a day or 2.

Thanks

You can do whatever is in a batch (.bat) file manually at the command prompt.

Make sure when you move the files, that you do the regserv32 command to register it with windows.
  • edited July 2006
    You can do whatever is in a batch (.bat) file manually at the command prompt.

Make sure when you move the files, that you do the regserv32 command to register it with windows.

So just dragging the file to system or system32 folder isnt enough?
    Can you type what i should do at command prompt? Im using xp pro.
    By register you mean registry entries?

Thanks again.

btw...when i did the bat thing, that command promt window is on the screen for less then 1 second
  • edited July 2006
    I just did another read through the thread and now im thinking I may of turned up the contrast too high and thats whats causing the white screen of death.

Any idea values I can play with so that the contrast is turned down a bit, or where can I go to change the max value of the contrast so it doesent shut its self down.
    If I can just get the monitor working for 15 minutes I can use the colour restore thing again.
  • edited July 2006
    Glad you guys are out there!

Thanks so much for your info regarding overly bright Sony Trinitron P1110 monitors. I replaced the resistor. The good news is the monitor is not nearly as bright. The bad news, maybe its not bright enough now. I am hoping I simply put in the wrong resistor. I didn't know what wattage so I went with a 1 Watt 5.1Mohm resistor. The resistor I pulled out of the monitor was much smaller is physical size. Does the wattage matter? How would you suggest getting some of my briteness back. My contrast is 100 and brightness is 100 --its not bad, but definitely could use a little brightening. Thanks for any suggestions.

Also, this is now the correct link to fantastic images and infor regarding replacing the resistor for us technically challenged folks:

http://www.hutzelman.com/web/pages/hardware/Mods/SonyCRT/

Mark
  • edited July 2006
    joe jones wrote:
    Glad you guys are out there!

Thanks so much for your info regarding overly bright Sony Trinitron P1110 monitors. I replaced the resistor. The good news is the monitor is not nearly as bright. The bad news, maybe its not bright enough now. I am hoping I simply put in the wrong resistor. I didn't know what wattage so I went with a 1 Watt 5.1Mohm resistor. The resistor I pulled out of the monitor was much smaller is physical size. Does the wattage matter? How would you suggest getting some of my briteness back. My contrast is 100 and brightness is 100 --its not bad, but definitely could use a little brightening. Thanks for any suggestions.

Also, this is now the correct link to fantastic images and infor regarding replacing the resistor for us technically challenged folks:

http://www.hutzelman.com/web/pages/hardware/Mods/SonyCRT/

Mark

Watt might be important. From what I see, most are using 1/4 watt. Moving up/down in number for Mohm will increase/decrease it in brightness too.

Tim
  • edited July 2006
    Hello,
    I am a new member to this forum and been reading up on this problem.

My question is, i have a Sun GDM-5410 monitor, and have the same "too bright" symptom. Which method should I use to fix this? I am comfortable with soldering on a resistor, but am unaware if the board are the same (where can I find this information out).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks.

tdang81 AT gmail DOT com
  • edited July 2006
    Well, I performed the resistor mod on it this weekend. Wow, the monitor is like brand new now! (minus some burned image faintly seen on screen)

Colour is great, no lines anymore. I used the 5.6Mohm 1/4 watt resistor. Now my brightness is set about 50.

Now if I could only get rid of the burned image on the screen. :wtf:
  • edited August 2006
    I just got a Dell P1110 ultrascan monitor from my dad's work, it is having an overbrightness issue and it has horizontal green lines on it, any recommendations, also is there a way to bypass the pass key on the winDAS file...... + what type of resistor should i try for this monitor, TY
  • edited August 2006
    My Sony GDM-F500R looks a lot better after reprogramming the brightness with WinDAS, but I think I could use a little more Contrast. How do I increase the contrast with WinDAS??
  • edited August 2006
    Daxx wrote:
    My Sony GDM-F500R looks a lot better after reprogramming the brightness with WinDAS, but I think I could use a little more Contrast. How do I increase the contrast with WinDAS??

I have the same question about contrast
  • edited August 2006
    I did the resistor mod to my P1110, and it looks awesome, the ugly green lines disapeered and the screen is nice and black instead of light-gray, who ever thought of that resistor mod, i salute you.
    I Salute You All For this Thred
    :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
  • edited August 2006
    Mint21 wrote:
    I have the same question about contrast

Same here, if anyone knows the answer I would be so grateful.
  • mrmazdamrmazda USA New
    edited August 2006
    "What did you use to save the file? Wordpad in windows XP likes to save stuff as unicode rather than ASCII. Make sure you save the file in ASCII. Use notepad if you can (not sure if there is a notepad in XP, or if it has changed and doesn't use ACSII anymore). If all else fails use a hex editor, which is overkill, but atleast you'll be sure of which bytes you changed."

Using 98SE I have the same problem. And, somehow during the confusion of multiple retries and frustration, something managed to delete my original copy. I'm going to try to undelete it, but have no idea whether it's even possible. At least it's FAT32 and not NTFS.

Anyway, the monitor goes black and stays black upon attempting to load the "different" file, even though the save format can't be different. It has the same byte count, and thus can't have had anything added or removed AFAICT.

I actually have three of these P991s. One, 4 months older than the other two, is still decent as is. The one I was working on and lost the saved file from was almost usable. The 3rd was much worse, but has a serial # very similar to the 2nd. I was able to do a new save from it and restore it to the 2nd. Now the 2nd is as bad as the 3rd, so I know this software can do its job if only I can figure out how to avoid random file deletions, and make edits that it will accept. Maybe I can do a save from the best one and restore to the other two and need to do no more if only those 4 months difference don't mean the settings would be too far off.

Here are the contents of the two windows that don't pop up using the original:

1)-now model = P991; save model = P991 9195.mdl ; Load OK?; Y/N
    2)-now using std = F99.std; save data std = F99 std; save format is different; OK.

The first also has 3 garbage characters. After the attempt, there's never any motion on the progress bar like with the original had.

Any suggestions? Dare I try the save from the one off a very different production run?

P.S. - the last sentence of http://www.geocities.com/gregua/windas/adjustment.html says: "This is only the beginning, I will explain the rest of the values in the next howto", but I can't find anything that looks anything like that.
  • edited August 2006
    Hey guys. I recently purchased an FW900. I followed the windas tutorial and the windas software will load, however upon trying to save my monitor profile 1 of 2 things occurs: either i get a "Can't connect to Monitor! Check Bus line and condition!" or Windows generates an error and the software crashes.

The check bus line error occurs if i just load windas and try to save, while the crash occur if i alter either the monitor profile or the config for the serial port. I have tried swapping the TXD and RXD on my cable but i still can not get the software to interface with the monitor. Im using an epox 9nda3+(i think thats the right model) motherboard and both serial ports are turned on in the bios. I have had the monitor connected both with vga and bnc cables. Nothing seems to be getting it to work.

Anybody have any ideas? Is it possible to fry the cable if you hook the wires up wrong? I purchased the ebay cable and it took a few attempts to get it hooked up correct; i may have put the wires on the wrong leads at first. Anyway hope someone can help. Thanks.
  • edited August 2006
    As far as the bus-line goes, make sure the cable is connected properly, and make sure your comm ports are configured (enabled) through the BIOS.

When the software crashes, re-launch and immediately go to the next step, in other words, don’t start from the beginning again.

Example: you launch program, select monitor, configure comm port, then go to save data, system crashes! Re-launch program and go directly to save data! It should work, provided the cable is communicating with the monitor. This is a known problem and fix

Don’t know what your cable configuration is: mine is:
    TXD (Blk Wire)
    RXD (GRN Wire)
    VDC (+5) (Red Wire)
    GND (Ylw Wire)

You also need to check the pin configuration on the monitor. Mine is:

Dell P991: From Back (cover) going to front (CRT):

TXD (Blk Wire) towards back cover
    RXD (GRN Wire)
    VDC (+5) (Red Wire)
    GND (Ylw Wire) towards monitor screen

If the cable and connection is configured properly, check the bios again; if the comm ports are set to auto, switch to enabled or vice versa. I’m guessing you have two comm. Ports on that board so try both. If this doesn’t work, check the cable.

Good luck.
  • edited August 2006
    Mint21 wrote:
    As far as the bus-line goes, make sure the cable is connected properly, and make sure your comm ports are configured (enabled) through the BIOS.

When the software crashes, re-launch and immediately go to the next step, in other words, don’t start from the beginning again.

Example: you launch program, select monitor, configure comm port, then go to save data, system crashes! Re-launch program and go directly to save data! It should work, provided the cable is communicating with the monitor. This is a known problem and fix

Don’t know what your cable configuration is: mine is:
    TXD (Blk Wire)
    RXD (GRN Wire)
    VDC (+5) (Red Wire)
    GND (Ylw Wire)

You also need to check the pin configuration on the monitor. Mine is:

Dell P991: From Back (cover) going to front (CRT):

TXD (Blk Wire) towards back cover
    RXD (GRN Wire)
    VDC (+5) (Red Wire)
    GND (Ylw Wire) towards monitor screen

If the cable and connection is configured properly, check the bios again; if the comm ports are set to auto, switch to enabled or vice versa. I’m guessing you have two comm. Ports on that board so try both. If this doesn’t work, check the cable.

Good luck.

Mint, thanks.

Cable is connected and com ports are active. Do i need to edit the com port configuration in windows at all or are the default settings ok?

I have tried both altering the monitor/com port settings(crash) and saving immeadiately (no connection)

The pin out i am using is what someone with an FW900 had mentioned earlier in the thread.

In the bios i have tried both fixed IRQ/address and auto settings for the com ports.

At this point i have tried only one com port; the other is on a bracket i have to fish out, but i will try that tonight. I will also take a look at the pin out on the monitor to see if it is incorrect, but no one stated it was wrong earlier.

Thanks again.
  • edited August 2006
    Hi I have a hp p1110 monitor but when i turn it on i get a white(blurry?i can see windows) screen with 5/10cm black borders around it and red/green lines trough it.and after 3/4seconds the monitor shuts down and the status indicator is blinking very fast(green).Is this a hardware problem?Or can i reset it?A part needs to be replaced?.

Thanx whoever..

Sorry for my poor english..;)
  • edited August 2006
    kemist wrote:
    Mint, thanks.

Cable is connected and com ports are active. Do i need to edit the com port configuration in windows at all or are the default settings ok?

I have tried both altering the monitor/com port settings(crash) and saving immeadiately (no connection)

The pin out i am using is what someone with an FW900 had mentioned earlier in the thread.

In the bios i have tried both fixed IRQ/address and auto settings for the com ports.

At this point i have tried only one com port; the other is on a bracket i have to fish out, but i will try that tonight. I will also take a look at the pin out on the monitor to see if it is incorrect, but no one stated it was wrong earlier.

Thanks again.

I’m running WINXP, and didn’t have to configure my Comm Ports. On the “ECS Port” under “Configuration” tab make sure you choose whichever comm. port you’re using, and make sure the “SG Name” drop-down box is set to “Manual

You may need to try the other port, as the one you’re trying “may” be dead or inop.

Also does you cable have the max chip integrated?
    Did you get or have access to the schematic for that cable to check the pin connections?

I heard some of those cables off of e-bay may not be configured correctly, and it definitely should have the max chip installed.

I would double check the pin connections on the monitor board. If I remember, I saw the same configuration for your monitor as well, but I don’t think it pointed out the orientation. In other words; TXD – is it toward the back cover or is it towards the monitor screen? You could be installing the cable backwards. Just a guess.

I would definitely look at your cable though – is it configured correctly???

Lastly, it's easy to miss one of the pins when installing the cable, especially if you're doing it blind (not removing the monitor cover)). I've done this myself!

Good luck
  • edited August 2006
    ok, ive tried the other com port. The cable does have a max3232 chip or whatever and the leads are correctly labeled. It has Gnd, Vcc, RXD, TXD, and RTS wires.

this cable from the walkthrough:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7616961899

If i disable the com port or dont have the cable hooked up then windas will immediately say no connection. However if i have the cable is hooked up and theoretically everything should work, then it pauses for ~10 secs before it spits out the no connection. So it appears like something is happening but i dont know why its not working.

Also ive looked at the pcb of the monitor and top to bottom it is Gnd, VCC, RXD, TXD which im pretty sure is what was said earlier and ive tried swapping the RXD and TXD anyway.

Im pretty much out of ideas and see no reason why this should not be working. Others have reported success with these cables

Is it possible to fry the cable if the leads are hooked up wrong? I dont really have any other ideas.
  • edited August 2006
    SUCCESS!

I dont know what i did but its working now. Thanks for the suggestions guys i appreciate it.
  • edited August 2006
    kemist wrote:
    SUCCESS!

I dont know what i did but its working now. Thanks for the suggestions guys i appreciate it.

Glad you got it working. Do let us know what you did, or think you did???
  • edited August 2006
    Mint21 wrote:
    Glad you got it working. Do let us know what you did, or think you did???

Ok i think these were my settings: For me, i had to set the com port to Auto in the bios rather than a static IRQ setting, and i also turned off the 2nd com port (i dont know if this was necessary). I think the last thing i did is i may have swapped the RXD and TXD to be the opposite of what the pcb said and this is what made it work. I think before what happened was even though i had tried swapping RXD and TXD that the com port was either not set to Auto or that the 2nd com port may have been interfering. Hope this can help someone.
  • edited August 2006
    Thanks,

Glad you got it working. Good luck with the monitor fix.
  • edited August 2006
    Does anyone know where there might be some information on using the Procedures part of WinDas? There's so much there but I don't know what much of it means. It wouild also be nice to find a software signal generator. Or at least some bitmaps of patterns that can be displayed fullscreen.
  • edited August 2006
    Thanx for this topic..After good reading all messages i finaly got my p1110 to work properly again..Only need a good cable now..Then i have a brand new monitor again..;)

Final question. What is the better way to restore the brightness?To replace the resistor or the advanced menu?is there a different?I now have restored the brightness in the menu.. G2.etc but it still is a little too bright..will the resistor fix this problem?(To remove the case is the biggest problem imo..;)that's why i ask..cant get it open..
  • edited August 2006
    Hi everyone,
    I'd like to firstly thank everyone for this forum, as ive just fixed my g500 with over brightness problems with a 5.6m ohm resister
    Id like to use windas to fix it properly, i have all the software just need to get a cable
    Im from Melbourne Australia if anyone knows where i might get one from over here, or maybe a fellow oz reader might know of a place, i know of digital nemesis but his off on business, and i dont want to wait for his return
    Also does anyone know of the correct way to discharge a crt ?? i know you shouldnt even trust one no matter if they are discharged, just curious

thanks once again
  • edited August 2006
    I am new to the forum after finding some interesting information to the same problem that I have.. a P1110 21" monitor that is too bright (brightness set at 0 and still too bright), and I also see diagonal grey lines on the screen all the time during activity. I also have a P1130 monitor as well.. they're great monitors overall, albeit a bit heavy.

My problem is that when I try to run Windas, I'm getting an error related to the Astro SG. Do you have to have Astro SG installed while you try to use the Windas program or do you just use it for the .dll files? I am getting these successive errors when running the 'windas.exe' file. I just click ok through them all and get to the Windas program and am able to view the appropriate screens. I don't have my cable yet so I am not sure if this program is going to work with these errors even though the program opens.
  • edited August 2006
    Mavrick wrote:
    I am new to the forum after finding some interesting information to the same problem that I have.. a P1110 21" monitor that is too bright (brightness set at 0 and still too bright), and I also see diagonal grey lines on the screen all the time during activity.

Did you tryed this?It worked for me.HP P1110

HP P1110 Model D2847 (Nokia) Service Mode

(edited the original message found in this topic cause it didn't worked,This way it will work)

Access to the service mode is as follows :

1) Turn the monitor off(powerbutton).
    2) Push the menubutton holding it down, Power on the monitor.
    3) Release the menubutton.
    4) Push the menubutton again to acces servicemode.

The password is 7711

Many thanx to all posters..
  • mrmazdamrmazda USA New
    edited August 2006
    I got lucky taking another look with a viewer in hex mode and figured out the difference that was causing the "save format different" error. Notepad was the editor I first tried to use to edit. I changed one byte, at 0x33e in the original file, from 0x34 to 0x30. For some inexplicable reason, notepad changed 4 other bytes in the file, 4 instances of x20 to 0x00, at 0x00F, 0x01F, 0x12F, and 0x13F. I fixed it using debug.

Now that I'm back to square one I have to figure out why dropping G2 doesn't help. This P991 is very blurry.
  • edited August 2006
    couple quick questions, firstly my com port is working , using modem in it, which i have to remove toplug in my lead, do you need to have power to the monitor and does it need a video feed? thanks
    getting cant communicate with monitor error, still working on it
    thanks
    well i cant get any comunication happening at all, keep getting check bus line and condition, ive checked everything backwards inside out, read all these posts 3 times and still cant find anything wrong
    the only thing differet is that im using 100v 1uf instead of 16v 1uf, could that be stuffing things up? how long can your wires be from the circuit board to the pc, mine is about 1.5 metres
    still waiting on reply for previous questions on power and signal if they need to be on?
    thanks