If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

DELL P1110 monitor too bright

1181921232445

Comments

  • edited Nov 2006
    REDMAN wrote:
    walterkay wrote:
    which viewer? try view>word wrap. in the windas expert viewer i dont get any information in the right window. in the left window i get the viewer list 1:fact free 2:color 3:umt 4:tdt 5:scap1 6:scap2 7:reg_8_1 and the list goes on.i can select any of them click go and it goes back to the expert window? i can drop my dat file into programmers notepad any view it in word wrap but i cannot tell wich number is for the g2 value. so iam stuck on number three in the in the how to procedure. i must of missed something along the way. thanks
    Open winDAS and go to Help>Expert>Viewer and click on Reg in the Viewer List. On the right panel find the G2 value. Compare with the .dat listing to find which value to edit. It's covered in the winDAS tutorial http://www.geocities.com/gregua/windas/adjustment.html
  • edited Nov 2006
    in windas expert viewer you must open a file that has already been downloaded to your hard drive.
  • edited Nov 2006
    walterkay wrote:
    in windas expert viewer you must open a file that has already been downloaded to your hard drive.
    thank you very much, it was me. only had to double click 7:reg_8_1 and now i have my data list. G2 is at 163 will try 153 after i let it warm up for a while. http://www.short-media.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif
    Thumbs up
  • edited Nov 2006
    walterkay wrote:
    Well, my .dat's have never been viewable in notepad, just wordpad, of course I edit only in Programmer's Notepad, and they download into the monitor without problem.
    But, here's one of them configured for the P1110, you just need to verify and modify the values if necessary.

    Ok Guys,

    I know its been a while but i really need help with this! I've been trying but not getting anywhere.

    If you need to know my problems please look over the past couple of pages...

    but in summary:

    I used notepad to edit my .dat and uploaded it
    It uploaded fine and the monitor works, but i can't upload the original file as it's been through a notepad save command also. ( i know my bad )
    I want to get back to a known true and correct config file cos i dont know how the bad file is effecting my moniter.


    So i have included a .zip with post it includes:

    My_Original - suspect.dat - My original file that i believe has been through notepad save

    Current_WinDAS_download.dat - The file taken off my moniter now, after an upload of a notepad edited file

    Original_1.dat - A known original from a P1110 from another user on this forum

    Original_2.dat - A known original from a P1110 from another user on this forum

    There are clear differences between them all, as can be clearly seen when using a comparer. However both my original file and downloaded from monitor file differ greatly and don't seem right. Alot of lines in my files are duplicated starting from:

    · 3 1 1 2047 32767 255 255 255 255 255 255 255 255 255 127 1 =Mode = 17

    And there is an obvious fault in line 10

    Basically can someone provide me with help sorting this mess out!!

    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!

    Cheers

    Chilli_P
    helpme.zip 8.3K
  • edited Nov 2006
    walterkay wrote:
    Success thanks to you! Hooked up my RS232 cable (looks same as yours, must be the same friendly Canadian vendor), never would have guess to short Rx Tx and launched winDAS.

    Default G2 on GDM-F500R was 199! Moved down to 160 and monitor looks like new again.

    ---

    Just a quick one-Where do you find the color restoration? I dont see it in winDAS. Fortunately my monitor didnt have the red hue (maybe weak gun in yours) but would like to have the resouce. I wonder what continues to happen over time? Will we eventually program G2 down to 0?

    ---

    Sony's solution was to offer to send me a refurb unit (running winDAS probably the extent of the refurb) for $300 provided I shipped (yeah right, and found some way to pack this 80lb hulk) to San Diego.

    ---
    Thanks again for all the contributions.

    Congratulations walterkay!

    "Image Restoration" is not in WinDAS, but in the monitor itself. Press the mini-joystick to get the menu. Select COLOR->EASY-> and you should see IMAGE RESTORATION. It is not available until after about 30 minutes of warmup.

    In my opinion, it is this my repeated use of IMAGE RESTORATION in the past, that eventually brought on the OVERBRIGHT problem to my monitor. Before this, my F500R was fine. Once I began using IMAGE RESTORATION, things went downhill. So the moral is, except for absolute necessity just like after changing the G2 value down and getting a bad color-shift, DO NOT USE IMAGE RESTORATION!

    Yes, my cable is from the Canadian SK eBayer. I am in Canada so I picked him to save on shipping :) BTW, you meant to short RTS-CTS right? The fact that it all worked means you did not short RxD TxD.

    G2 at 199! Wow! You must have had an even brighter F500R than I did. Did you have visible retraces? If you had brought G2 down below 160 like I did, you might get the red color shift. But don't do it if 160 has brought it back to like-new condition.

    $300 for a refurb! I didn't even know that was an option. All I was told was "Sorry, there's nothing more we can do." Not a peep of a refurb in exchange. We all know now what they do to refurb the beast right? For $300 no less! Hah!

    Sorry for the tardy response. I've been away for a while. Recent project was replacing my Toyota 22RE engine's alternator. That was a bear on my legs and back! Nothing compared to working with computers and monitors...


    hotpoco
  • edited Nov 2006
    Hey Poco, thx for the support. Yep, RTS-CTS shorted, kind of curious to see if I can communicate with them open, but have better things to do with my time (like not have my wife kill me next time she sees me with the cases cracked open). My default (does it change over time?) G2 was 199, very bright and nice retrace lines, even during post messages or with nvidia gamma cranked to black.
    I never noticed the Image Restoration before, but now I see it is 'on' and I suppose it always has been since I got the monitor in '01. Have to figure out what that really does..
    rgds
  • edited Nov 2006
    Ok Guys,

    I know its been a while but i really need help with this! I've been trying but not getting anywhere.

    If you need to know my problems please look over the past couple of pages...

    but in summary:

    I used notepad to edit my .dat and uploaded it
    It uploaded fine and the monitor works, but i can't upload the original file as it's been through a notepad save command also. ( i know my bad )
    I want to get back to a known true and correct config file cos i dont know how the bad file is effecting my moniter.


    So i have included a .zip with post it includes:

    My_Original - suspect.dat - My original file that i believe has been through notepad save

    Current_WinDAS_download.dat - The file taken off my moniter now, after an upload of a notepad edited file

    Original_1.dat - A known original from a P1110 from another user on this forum

    Original_2.dat - A known original from a P1110 from another user on this forum

    There are clear differences between them all, as can be clearly seen when using a comparer. However both my original file and downloaded from monitor file differ greatly and don't seem right. Alot of lines in my files are duplicated starting from:

    · 3 1 1 2047 32767 255 255 255 255 255 255 255 255 255 127 1 =Mode = 17

    And there is an obvious fault in line 10

    Basically can someone provide me with help sorting this mess out!!

    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!

    Cheers

    Chilli_P


    Hi Chilli,

    I've looked at all the dat files and used 4 of these to compare against each other's values and made GUESSES as to what would be reasonable. Mind you I don't know what these values are supposed to represent.

    What I did was to load each of the 4 dat files into a programmer's editor WITHOUT word-wrapping, and made them align to each other, so that each dat file is the same length as the others: 10,064 bytes.

    Then, where your monitor's values (in the My_Original - suspect.dat) go to the extremes of 32767 (all 1's in binary) or 255 (also all 1's in binary), or 0, whereas the other file (mainly the P1110.dat file from walterkay) are not, I would substitute the "reasonable" values from P1110.dat.

    You can do your own comparison and make your own changes using the 4-row file I used: 4RowCompare.dat.

    After this, I selected the revised row for My_Original - suspect.dat and created a 10,064 byte file out of that, filename is My_Original - suspectRev.dat. NOTE: Each row in the 4RowCompare.dat file ends with CrLf (Hex: 0D0A). So if you wish to take a row and make it into a file like I did, you should delete the CrLf or else the file size would be 10,066 bytes.

    I suppose your next step is try to load the My_Original - suspectRev.dat into your monitor and see what happens. Warning though, since I do not know what the values represent, I don't know what you would end up with. Make sure you have something to fall back on.

    Let me know how it goes. Good luck!

    hotpoco
    Chilli.zip 6.2K
  • edited Nov 2006
    >>>My default does it change over time?

    I don't know, but I suppose it somehow does. The microprocessor would find conditions that would make it adjust G2 to what it thinks is the proper value. Maybe we'll wait until someone else who knows better enlighten us on this matter.

    hotpoco
  • edited Nov 2006
    hotpoco wrote:
    >>>My default does it change over time?

    I don't know, but I suppose it somehow does. The microprocessor would find conditions that would make it adjust G2 to what it thinks is the proper value. Maybe we'll wait until someone else who knows better enlighten us on this matter.

    hotpoco

    Just wondering that myself, especially after I tried the Image Restoration and all the flashing went on..
  • edited Nov 2006
    Security Key Issue-

    Hi, I have successfully installed windas and the app appears to be launching fine, but I keep getting the security key missing message when I go to Set-up --> Config. I have run the zipped patch (patchDas.bat) in the "how to" but I don't get any message in the control panel. I am running XP SP2. and have installed and registered msflxgrd.ocx successfully. Any ideas how to get me past the security key problem?

    Thanks
  • edited Nov 2006
    sakols wrote:
    Security Key Issue-

    Hi, I have successfully installed windas and the app appears to be launching fine, but I keep getting the security key missing message when I go to Set-up --> Config. I have run the zipped patch (patchDas.bat) in the "how to" but I don't get any message in the control panel. I am running XP SP2. and have installed and registered msflxgrd.ocx successfully. Any ideas how to get me past the security key problem?

    Thanks
    Should be straight forward, extract the three files from the patch.zip (dont leave in zip) into your windas directory (not elsewhere) and double click the .bat file (not the .exe). Dos window will pop up with the indicated confirmantion.
    After that confirm you have all required .dll's, and that you can ID your monitor (if not perform the activex install with the .bat modified as shown).
  • edited Nov 2006
    Changing G2 in .dat file

    Hi, I have read the "how to" but am still unclear how to lower the G2 voltage from the .dat file. I am running XP SP2 and understand I will need a hex editor. From the how to example, I am just going to see a list of numbers without any description. I don't want to fiddle around and screw things up. Does a clear description exist of what to do with the .dat file under XPSP2?

    Thanks

    dan
  • edited Nov 2006
    The adjustment of color is so complexity by Adjustment_procedure;Can anyone tell me how to adjust the color from the monitors .dat file?
  • edited Nov 2006
    sakols wrote:
    Changing G2 in .dat file

    Hi, I have read the "how to" but am still unclear how to lower the G2 voltage from the .dat file. I am running XP SP2 and understand I will need a hex editor. From the how to example, I am just going to see a list of numbers without any description. I don't want to fiddle around and screw things up. Does a clear description exist of what to do with the .dat file under XPSP2?

    Thanks

    dan

    In Windas when you do Help>Expert>Viewer and see the Reg G2 value, you then will be able to find it in the .dat file (which is a text file) and change it to something lower. WinXP native text editors (such as notepad) corrupt text files so use Programmers Notepad (google it) as a text editor and you will see the word REG and most likely the following number will be the G2 value you saw in Viewer which you can then change save and reload to your monitor.
  • edited Nov 2006
    OK people, 31 pages of info and I can't get anything to work with my Dell P1110. :rant: What the heck is up? I bought a dual driver MAX232IN from Mouser and have it on a breadboard. At first I tried to follow Deiphage's schematic (PAGE 20) and didn't have any luck. Turned out I had a few wiring problems. I noticed that the MAX232 got really hot, like, it warped my breadboard!!

    QUESTION: Is it easy to fry the MAX232? I hope it's still good. Any easy way I can find out, like do a loop back?

    Back to Deiphage's schematic. I don't understand why pin 13 and 11 (R1IN, T1IN) is grounded, but I'm guessing it's a way to tell it that you are using one driver not both. Also, why is there a cap between 16 & 15? And which way should it go?

    So anyway, I started looking around for other diagrams and found this one. It's pretty similar.

    For the monitor connector I'm using and old floppy power connector. As per an earlier post it says the pin order on the Dell P1110 from top to bottom is GND, VCC, TX, RX. CORRECT? so that would be Red, Black, Black, Yellow.

    QUESTION: So with pins 11 & 12 (T1IN & R1OUT), Does that mean OUT goes to the RX on the monitor, and OUT comes from the TX on the monitor??? same with pins 13 & 14 (R1IN & T1OUT), Does that mean the OUT goes to the RxD on the RS232 and the IN comes from the RS232 TxD ??? Pinouts here. btw, I connected pins 7 & 8 (RTS & CTS) on the DB9.

    So when I have this hooked up and go to Save Data To File WinDAS crashes. Or sometimes it says Can't Connect The Monitor etc...

    Please someone tell me what I'm doing wrong or if I fried my chip.


    Thanks!!!

    btw, the caps I used are 1uf desoldered from some old computer power supplys.
    TTL-crap.jpg 465.7K
  • edited Nov 2006
    fety wrote:
    OK people, 31 pages of info and I can't get anything to work with my Dell P1110. :rant: What the heck is up? I bought a dual driver MAX232IN from Mouser and have it on a breadboard. At first I tried to follow Deiphage's schematic (PAGE 20) and didn't have any luck. Turned out I had a few wiring problems. I noticed that the MAX232 got really hot, like, it warped my breadboard!!

    QUESTION: Is it easy to fry the MAX232? I hope it's still good. Any easy way I can find out, like do a loop back?

    Back to Deiphage's schematic. I don't understand why pin 13 and 11 (R1IN, T1IN) is grounded, but I'm guessing it's a way to tell it that you are using one driver not both. Also, why is there a cap between 16 & 15? And which way should it go?

    So anyway, I started looking around for other diagrams and found this one. It's pretty similar.

    For the monitor connector I'm using and old floppy power connector. As per an earlier post it says the pin order on the Dell P1110 from top to bottom is GND, VCC, TX, RX. CORRECT? so that would be Red, Black, Black, Yellow.

    QUESTION: So with pins 11 & 12 (T1IN & R1OUT), Does that mean OUT goes to the RX on the monitor, and OUT comes from the TX on the monitor??? same with pins 13 & 14 (R1IN & T1OUT), Does that mean the OUT goes to the RxD on the RS232 and the IN comes from the RS232 TxD ??? Pinouts here. btw, I connected pins 7 & 8 (RTS & CTS) on the DB9.

    So when I have this hooked up and go to Save Data To File WinDAS crashes. Or sometimes it says Can't Connect The Monitor etc...

    Please someone tell me what I'm doing wrong or if I fried my chip.


    Thanks!!!

    btw, the caps I used are 1uf desoldered from some old computer power supplys.

    Your MAX232 is probably EOS'd if it's that hot. You probably swapped 5v and gnd. Everybody's using this cable without problem..http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150044061355.

    RTS and CTS are shorted with a jumper, Rx and Tx try one way, if they're backward you'll just get a communications error, otherway you'll be able to grab the .dat file. I'm using a different monitor but the P1110 pinouts should be well documented in this thread.
  • edited Nov 2006
    Hi guys,

    Thanks for this great thread :)

    I think i messed up me monitor though, after uploading my changed config I only get the "lock" symbol when trying to use the front buttons :(

    I've read through the whole tread and I've tried all the "resets" and "enter service menu" tricks and the "finalize" option in windas.
    Nothing works.. my screen is now totally useless.

    Also I checked my cable and it works properly.
    But all I get when trying to connect through windas is the "unable to connect check equipment and or software blabla" message.

    It worked fine the first 5-10 times.. :confused2
  • edited Nov 2006
    DanX wrote:
    Hi guys,

    I think i messed up me monitor though, after uploading my changed config I only get the "lock" symbol when trying to use the front buttons :(

    ---

    Also I checked my cable and it works properly.
    But all I get when trying to connect through windas is the "unable to connect check equipment and or software blabla" message.

    The "lock" means the monitor thinks a programming process is active and has not yet released the resource (in this case, the configuration setup data).

    Whatever is wrong has to do with WinDAS not completing the upload and closing/releasing the resource locked for writing. The "unable to connect" is clearly a clue to what is wrong. It may have work 10 times before, but now it does not. Start there. It must get back to talking to the monitor or else you have a big dead monitor.

    One last resort is some kind of "factory reset". Is there such a button combination to your monitor?

    Good luck, hotpoco
  • edited Nov 2006
    hotpoco wrote:
    The "lock" means the monitor thinks a programming process is active and has not yet released the resource (in this case, the configuration setup data).

    Whatever is wrong has to do with WinDAS not completing the upload and closing/releasing the resource locked for writing. The "unable to connect" is clearly a clue to what is wrong. It may have work 10 times before, but now it does not. Start there. It must get back to talking to the monitor or else you have a big dead monitor.

    One last resort is some kind of "factory reset". Is there such a button combination to your monitor?

    Good luck, hotpoco


    Thanks for your reply!

    I have a Dell P1110, havent found any other ways to do a factory reset or similar.
    Firts I thought the cable broke somehow because of the "unable to connect" error, but I have checked the wiring using an instrument.
    The cable I have is one of the "recomended" by gregua in his windas guide.
    www digitalnemesis com/products/rlc1/ (modified as per instructions)

    /Dan
  • edited Dec 2006
    Howdy! My first post. Been lurking a long time though.
    First of all... thank you all for contributing to, and hosting this wonderful information. I've lost a lot of sleep dreading the idea that I would have to send my monitor in for service. With my luck, sony would screw the pooch.
    I bought my monitor brand new and paid full list price. Worse, is that I live in a remote area and shipping costs would KILL me (80lbs +), and the rough handling would likely kill the package UPS drove a forklift thru my GDM-F400... it took a year to settle the claim, and guess who got screwed?)
    So, for those good reasons, I am probably the most grateful reader on this site!

    Anyway... I have some Questions... if you don't mind.

    1.) Does WinDAS (and the addon DLL libraries) contain a configuration utility for the Sony GDM-F520 model? (don't know the version #... but the posting date on h++p;//vvvvvv,ablserv,corn/files/windas/WDAS/ was 26-Apr-2005)

    2.) When you edit the .dat to lower G2 drive... does it affect all user modes?

    3.) If the monitor is left off for several days... does the modified .dat stay in effect? Or is there a factory default.dat stored as a backup in the EEPROM? (like when a BIOS battery dies and CMOS defaults to factory presets)

    4.) After editing the .dat... and then using "image restoration/color reset/color return" function in the OSD, does the EEPROM change the .dat file that was just modified? (does it UP the G2 again?)

    5.) Does changing G2 affect all visa modes?

    6.) After reading the windas user .doc , I read that the program has a factory default library in menu 8.3.
    Has anyone tried this? And does it require a full recalibration of whitebalance etc???
    I might be overly optimisitc, but is it possible that WinDAS accesses a hidden factory default that is stored in the EEPROM? It seems to me that factory calibration must be a major expense and labor intense, and because of the fact that EVERY CRT monitor is different, wouldn't it make sense for Sony to store an unmolested, NON-USER_ACCESSABLE copy somewhere in the EEPROM rather than in the WinDAS software???

    7.) Has anyone measured the resistor after removing it to see if it is out of spec? Does the "color return" function actually have a bug? Or does the resistor value actually drift over time?

    8.) I've read mention that it might be possible to use the USB port for the ECS interface. Does WinDAS list a USB port option in the menu?

    Specifics about my monitor :
    It is overbright... getting worse. Problem started about 3 years ago. But a symptom I have not seen mentioned in this thread is that during powers up, and when it goes into power-saving mode... I get a super blue box (3/4 screen) that bounces around as it goes thru vesa mode changes.
    When it was new, this bouncing box was super dark gray - or wanna-be-black - and was barely noticeable. Now it's "BRIGHT-poke-your-eyes-out-blue! Whites are white. Blacks are grayish blue. OSD image quality is perfect.
    Occassionally I see blue retrace lines, a power-off/restart corrects that.


    Current Settings...
    BRT=0
    CNT=100
    Expert color mode = B/Red=0, B/Grn=0, B/Blu=0, G/Red=80, G/Grn=80, G/Blu=80

    I've ordered parts and will be building the ECS interface cable this weekend. I will be etching my own PCB, and hope to make a batch of them. Might have some to share in a few days.

    Thanks for you help. Looking forward to answers.

    Best Regards,
    David
  • edited Dec 2006
    head_spaz wrote:
    Howdy! My first post. Been lurking a long time though.
    First of all... thank you all for contributing to, and hosting this wonderful information. I've lost a lot of sleep dreading the idea that I would have to send my monitor in for service. With my luck, sony would screw the pooch.
    I bought my monitor brand new and paid full list price. Worse, is that I live in a remote area and shipping costs would KILL me (80lbs +), and the rough handling would likely kill the package UPS drove a forklift thru my GDM-F400... it took a year to settle the claim, and guess who got screwed?)
    So, for those good reasons, I am probably the most grateful reader on this site!

    Anyway... I have some Questions... if you don't mind.

    1.) Does WinDAS (and the addon DLL libraries) contain a configuration utility for the Sony GDM-F520 model? (don't know the version #... but the posting date on h++p;//vvvvvv,ablserv,corn/files/windas/WDAS/ was 26-Apr-2005)

    2.) When you edit the .dat to lower G2 drive... does it affect all user modes?

    3.) If the monitor is left off for several days... does the modified .dat stay in effect? Or is there a factory default.dat stored as a backup in the EEPROM? (like when a BIOS battery dies and CMOS defaults to factory presets)

    4.) After editing the .dat... and then using "image restoration/color reset/color return" function in the OSD, does the EEPROM change the .dat file that was just modified? (does it UP the G2 again?)

    5.) Does changing G2 affect all visa modes?

    6.) After reading the windas user .doc , I read that the program has a factory default library in menu 8.3.
    Has anyone tried this? And does it require a full recalibration of whitebalance etc???
    I might be overly optimisitc, but is it possible that WinDAS accesses a hidden factory default that is stored in the EEPROM? It seems to me that factory calibration must be a major expense and labor intense, and because of the fact that EVERY CRT monitor is different, wouldn't it make sense for Sony to store an unmolested, NON-USER_ACCESSABLE copy somewhere in the EEPROM rather than in the WinDAS software???

    7.) Has anyone measured the resistor after removing it to see if it is out of spec? Does the "color return" function actually have a bug? Or does the resistor value actually drift over time?

    8.) I've read mention that it might be possible to use the USB port for the ECS interface. Does WinDAS list a USB port option in the menu?

    Specifics about my monitor :
    It is overbright... getting worse. Problem started about 3 years ago. But a symptom I have not seen mentioned in this thread is that during powers up, and when it goes into power-saving mode... I get a super blue box (3/4 screen) that bounces around as it goes thru vesa mode changes.
    When it was new, this bouncing box was super dark gray - or wanna-be-black - and was barely noticeable. Now it's "BRIGHT-poke-your-eyes-out-blue! Whites are white. Blacks are grayish blue. OSD image quality is perfect.
    Occassionally I see blue retrace lines, a power-off/restart corrects that.


    Current Settings...
    BRT=0
    CNT=100
    Expert color mode = B/Red=0, B/Grn=0, B/Blu=0, G/Red=80, G/Grn=80, G/Blu=80

    I've ordered parts and will be building the ECS interface cable this weekend. I will be etching my own PCB, and hope to make a batch of them. Might have some to share in a few days.

    Thanks for you help. Looking forward to answers.

    Best Regards,
    David

    can only answer a few-
    gdm-f520 is supported - go to setup>monitor sel> (monitor does not have to be attached).
    .dat is stored in flash and is permanent
    does not affect other color temp settings, refresh rates (if that's what you mean by 'modes').
    the rest, I guess.., let us know:-)
  • edited Dec 2006
    Thanks for the helpful reply.
    Yes, I meant resolution and refresh rates when I used the term VESA modes. (whoops...spelled it visa before.)
    So, if I understand this correctly, G2 is not a global adjustment, meaning that the G2 setting is separate for each vesa mode? Does the windas software track vesa mode changes on the fly, or is it a one mode per windas session type of thing?
  • edited Dec 2006
    head_spaz wrote:
    Thanks for the helpful reply.
    Yes, I meant resolution and refresh rates when I used the term VESA modes. (whoops...spelled it visa before.)
    So, if I understand this correctly, G2 is not a global adjustment, meaning that the G2 setting is separate for each vesa mode? Does the windas software track vesa mode changes on the fly, or is it a one mode per windas session type of thing?
    Sorry for the confusion, G2 is global, only one .dat entry. I meant it does not corrupt other modes as opposed to it has no effect on them. The brightness correction will be universal to all the modes.
  • edited Dec 2006
    Now I get it.
    Thanks.
  • edited Dec 2006
    I have already built my cable so I guess this is a moot point, but just so I understand, it seems like doing the resistor replacement is the hardware equivalent to adjusting the G2 voltage with WinDAS. Is this correct?

    Edit: I have seemingly tried everything, and I cannot get this to work. It just keep telling me to check the cable. I have taken everything apart and put it back together again, switched TX and RX, etc. WinDAS works, I just can't get the cable to work. My serial port definitely works because I use it with a serial patch cable to talk to my Apple II. Is there anything else I can do to troubleshoot the actual cable? I don't want to resort to it, but I am about ready to buy one off eBay.

    Thanks,

    Chris
  • edited Dec 2006
    OK I got it working. I had the serial connector wired up improperly.

    Chris
  • edited Dec 2006
    Hi guys.

    Been reading this thread for a few days, and finally got myself a cable to use with windas.

    But ive got a slight problem, G2 was at 169 when the picture was to bright with retrace lines, took it down to 77 and now the picture is nice and dark.

    But the problem is that gray color got a redish glow to it, any ideas on what might be wrong ?

    The monitor is a Sony E500, read about something called Image Restoration, but i dont think that my monitor supports that ?

    Thanks in advance
    Ronni
    Denmark
  • edited Dec 2006
    Hi all,
    thank you all for your helpful postings. I bought two HP P1130 and was a bit disappointed that the colors were not equal and the contrast was too low.
    After trying different G2 settings without great success I ran the WINDAS procedures. Great tool! If you have a color measurement device it is even more helpful. I bought a Colorvision Spyder 2 (doesn't cost more than a used monitor) because I have to manage 4 CRTs in my office. With this, you can measure x, y, and Y (gamma) and adjust them to the point. Sometimes this is a bit tricky because the values influence each other. This is how I adjusted my monitors:
    1. Bought a RS232-TTL kit, soldered it together and connected a COM cable and some connector pins for the monitor port.
    2. Installed the Spyder software on a second computer, started it in RGB mode and put the sensor to the screen to be adjusted. It should also be possible to use only one PC.
    3. Created some test pattern HTML-pages (load them into your browser and go to full screen mode) with white, black, 30% gray and grayscale content. You can find the patterns in the attachment URLs below.
    4. Installed WINDAS on my notebook and connected it to the monitor via COM1
    5. Set the SG settings to manual (WINDAS->Set up->Configuration)
    6. Started the procedure in WINDAS (adjustment menu)
    7. Ran the 'Prime Mode Adjustment' for basic geometry
    8. Ran the 'Convergence Adjustment'
    9. Ran the 'White Balance Adjustment'. WINDAS tells you which test pattern ist required. The White Balance Adjustment contains four procedures (9300K, 6500K, 5000K, sRGB). This took me about one hour per monitor
    10. Finished the settings with "Final Setting'. This is important because otherwise the changed values can not be saved in the monitor EPROM.
    11. Switched the monitor off, diconnected the RS232 cable and closed WINDAS. IMPORTANT: Do not touch any of the monitor's OSD controls. If you do so before switching off, the monitor goes back to the default values and will not save any changes you do with the OSD menu.

    You can also run only one procedure and then go to 'Final Setting'. Procedures can be carried out in any order.

    I attached a little geometry helper image that describes the settings in the geometry adjustment section.
    Attachment not found.

    Here are my test pattern HTML files
    Attachment not found.

    And this is a handy pattern generator from Nokia. No installation required, just run the .exe. It's clean, you can get it directly from Nokia if you want.

    Attachment not found.

    So, get yourself a Spyder, buy it, steal it, rent it, it's worth the effort. The colors of my monitors are crystal clear now, feels as if you got new eyes.

    And DON'T forget to save your monitor settings before you do anything!

    Many thanks again, especially to P991,
    you saved my life.
    Peter (Germany)
  • edited Dec 2006
    first off I have been reading on this forums about this topic for a couple of days now, I bought my Dell P1110 Monitor from a friend and it already had the brightness issue. I was looking for a cheap easy way to fix this issue and I would like to thank you all for your help on this. I went to RS and bought me a pack of 2.2 MegOhm resistors (5 to a pack) for $1 and bought some heat shrink also. with all of your help I was able to fix the brightness issue with the mod to the monitor descibed in earlier posts. I soldered 3 of the resistors together and covered them in the heat shrink wrapping to keep them from touching anything else. Again this modification was awesome and I appreciate all of y'alls help
  • edited Dec 2006
    Dark0n3 wrote:
    Hi guys.

    Been reading this thread for a few days, and finally got myself a cable to use with windas.

    But ive got a slight problem, G2 was at 169 when the picture was to bright with retrace lines, took it down to 77 and now the picture is nice and dark.

    But the problem is that gray color got a redish glow to it, any ideas on what might be wrong ?

    The monitor is a Sony E500, read about something called Image Restoration, but i dont think that my monitor supports that ?

    Thanks in advance
    Ronni
    Denmark
    If it's supported there will be a menu item in the monitor settings (when you push the monitor joystick or whatever) called COLOR and Image Restoration appears in the Easy and sRGB tabs.
Sign In or Register to comment.