DELL P1110 monitor too bright

Comments

• P991-DELL-SONYP991-DELL-SONY California
    edited May 2007
    Wallace wrote:
    I have a Dell P1130 and it's very crisp exept for the left and right sides of the monitor. About 2" from the sides at the top of the screen its a little blurry. It's hard to see but with contrast 100% its alot easier to notice it, especially if you are running a program like ventrilo or MSN with grey text.

Is it possible to adjust the focus on this monitor?
    How about the service menu or removing the case?
    Anyone with knowledge about this monitor please post a comment.

I heard from someone that all monitors MUST have an adjustment for that.

It's called Dynamic Focus, Viewsonic supposedly has software to adjust it called DFS.

However, I haven't found anything like that.

I've reset the whole monitor to factory settings (MPU), and adjusted everything from scratch. I didn't have to do any dynamic focus adjustment.

Still, I'm pretty sure that he is right. It'd be funny that such a thing isn't electronicly adjustable, especially that Viewsonic adjusts it in that way.

So, untill some one figures out how to do this adjusment, or confirms that it is adjustable by isolating the circuit in the schematics, and highlighting how it is MCU controlled, there won't be an easy way to fix focus problems.

It's supposedly a simple phase and amplitude adjustment for both vertical and horizontal.

The circuit's effect is as if you could twist the focus knobs on the FBT as the raster scans across the screen.

Since the focal length on a flat (or simply non spherical) CRT changes, the focous must change, or the screen will be blury in the corners.

If focus is perfect in the center, and bad in some spots, this circuit, or something else affecting this circuit, is probably the culprit.
    edited May 2007
    allalala wrote:
    I also have a Sony Multiscan G500 which appears to be much to bright although with brightness and luminosity levels at 0.

I installed Windas and all other extractible programms and .dll but it keep saying:
    "Astro SG is not used. Please check configuration !"
    "ASTRO SG COMMUNICATION ERROR"
    "ASTRO SG TIMING SETUP ERROR"
    "No mdl Files".

I extracted and install Astro.exe and the subsequent programm (there is another programm in the extracted files). mdl files also present in the folder of Windas.exe.

Can anyone help me with it?

If it complains about Astro SG stuff, it means you have it set to send commands to an Astro SG (signal generator).

"No mdl files"
    You may try to search the thread if you haven't allready. I think this was answered.

I think it had to do with extracting it to a new folder, or maybe to an existing folder (I forget). It had something to do with extracting it. Try different ways of extracting it.

In anycase, questions about how to install the software are about to come to an end. There is a proper installer created by some users that I plan to link to.
  • edited May 2007
    I have a Sony CPD G520. It had a convergence problem at display corners. I adjusted the dynamic convergence in WINDAS with 1800x1600 85Hz patern. The result was satisfactory:) . But after that when I changed the resolution (DOS prompt in full screen) the apearence was terrific:eek: . The colors is completely separated. Are there a solution for this?:confused: or can't I nomore change the display resolution? Heeeelp...
  • edited May 2007
    I can't run the Astro installation program, it just won't run. Does anyone here have a copy of TRANSDLL.DLL available that you could upload somewhere so I could get it? It's needed to run WinDAS. I won't need it right now because I'm going to order my cable tomorrow, so there's no hurry. Anyone who has it, please contact me, my email is "branstrom at gmail dot com".

Also, I imagine it would be easy for someone to wrap all the DLL's required for WinDAS to run properly into one easily distributed package, so that not everyone would have to go through the same tedious procedure of downloading a bunch of extra zips and installation programs.

In fact I think I'm going to do that when I've got everything working.

I just drilled a hole in the back of my monitor (a Sony CPD-E530 which has the brightness and the visible scanlines and slight yellowish tint) to prepare for when I get the cable, so I won't have to take off the chassis again (was looking for the resistor but the circuitboard seemed to not be easily accessible...), when I get it I'll just rearrange the pins, right, and plug it in and make the changes.

Are people only changing the G2 value, or more than that? Am I understanding things correctly if this cable can just be snapped in and then you can have the monitor on during configuration and adjustments? So you can actually see when the picture changes? You don't have to use another monitor during this stage or something?
  • edited May 2007
    Branstrom wrote:
    I can't run the Astro installation program, it just won't run. Does anyone here have a copy of TRANSDLL.DLL available that you could upload somewhere so I could get it? It's needed to run WinDAS. I won't need it right now because I'm going to order my cable tomorrow, so there's no hurry. Anyone who has it, please contact me, my email is "branstrom at gmail dot com".

I sent you a copy of my patched WINDAS folder.

I hope it helps.

P.S.: I can't put links here...
  • edited May 2007
    edsont wrote:
    I sent you a copy of my patched WINDAS folder.

I hope it helps.

P.S.: I can't put links here...

Thank you very much!

Running it without any cable or anything, though, I get an error about Astro SG not running and that I should check configuration, but I guess that will go away once I get the cable and hook it up... Right?
  • edited May 2007
    Branstrom wrote:
    Thank you very much!

Running it without any cable or anything, though, I get an error about Astro SG not running and that I should check configuration, but I guess that will go away once I get the cable and hook it up... Right?

You need to configure the signal generator (SG) to manual. The program is trying to communicate with the SG but I believe that it's no matter.

The program only tries to communicate with the monitor when you access a function.
  • edited May 2007
    allalala wrote:
    I also have a Sony Multiscan G500 which appears to be much to bright although with brightness and luminosity levels at 0.

I installed Windas and all other extractible programms and .dll but it keep saying:
    "Astro SG is not used. Please check configuration !"
    "ASTRO SG COMMUNICATION ERROR"
    "ASTRO SG TIMING SETUP ERROR"
    "No mdl Files".

I extracted and install Astro.exe and the subsequent programm (there is another programm in the extracted files). mdl files also present in the folder of Windas.exe.

Can anyone help me with it?

yes
    I can :bigggrin:
    fist, select your monitor model form the list (first menu, model sel.)
    if you can not select, you need a patch for activex, if can. select:D

then.. go for the serial port config and select MANUAL, without signal generator (SG)

then check again..
    (maybe a cable problem too, but first select model and serial port options to avoid soft missconfig.)
    edited May 2007
    edsont wrote:
    I have a Sony CPD G520. It had a convergence problem at display corners. I adjusted the dynamic convergence in WINDAS with 1800x1600 85Hz patern. The result was satisfactory:) . But after that when I changed the resolution (DOS prompt in full screen) the apearence was terrific:eek: . The colors is completely separated. Are there a solution for this?:confused: or can't I nomore change the display resolution? Heeeelp...

Yup, it's dependend on resolution. There's an adjustment for high frequency and low frequency signals. You should have set the signals that it asks for.

Branstrom wrote:

Also, I imagine it would be easy for someone to wrap all the DLL's required for WinDAS to run properly into one easily distributed package, so that not everyone would have to go through the same tedious procedure of downloading a bunch of extra zips and installation programs.

In fact I think I'm going to do that when I've got everything working.

Ok. I'm really sorry that people are still getting dll problems. I know the instructions are tedious.

I would have distributed the whole thing in one zip, or one automated installer, but that would lead to legal and bandwidth problems.

However, there have been a few users who have made installers, and I will link to them soon.

I suggest a folder of the patched windas should be distributed on P2P networks. It seems the easiest way to avoid legal snags.

However, it needs to be the same version, and should come with a readme. We would want all Windas hosting users to be able to concentrate their bandwidth and availability on one file. It would also be nice for it's title to match many relevant searches.
    I just drilled a hole in the back of my monitor (a Sony CPD-E530 which has the brightness and the visible scanlines and slight yellowish tint) to prepare for when I get the cable, so I won't have to take off the chassis again (was looking for the resistor but the circuitboard seemed to not be easily accessible...), when I get it I'll just rearrange the pins, right, and plug it in and make the changes.

Are people only changing the G2 value, or more than that? Am I understanding things correctly if this cable can just be snapped in and then you can have the monitor on during configuration and adjustments? So you can actually see when the picture changes? You don't have to use another monitor during this stage or something?

Most people only change the G2 value. However, some people get excited and keep changing things untill their monitor is perfect. There are a bunch of registers you can play with, it depends on your chasis.

Anyway, there is some High Voltage regulating varistor that can be tweaked. I think this may solve all the problems without need of any sofware/hardware mods. Not entirely sure though, I need to try it first.

Also, the 'bright warmup' problem is still on the list of things 'to do'.
  • edited May 2007
    Yup, it's dependend on resolution. There's an adjustment for high frequency and low frequency signals. You should have set the signals that it asks for.

Thank you "P991 DELL SONY".

I'll try again and pay more attention on what WINDAS is asking for.

I used the SONY Test Pattern 1.20 software on my desktop to generate the patterns and an old laptop to run WINDAS.
  • edited May 2007
    Hello there!
    First of all many many thanks to P991_DELL_SONY for helping many people around the globe.
    I have a 21" Dell-Sony-P1110. I have nearly built the ecs cable and I am going to change the G2 value tomorrow or very soon. I need suggestion/opinion from users and P991_DELL_SONY in particular. My question is how much the G2 value should be lowered? is there any rule to follow? or it should be lowered at random?

Secondly is it advisable to play around with the G2 value untill satisfatory/perfect results are obtained?

I will highly appreciate opinions from the people who have the same Dell-P1110 and they were able to fix the problem. An early reply is anticipated.

Thanks
    mrkhan
    edited May 2007
    edsont wrote:
    Thank you "P991 DELL SONY".

I'll try again and pay more attention on what WINDAS is asking for.

I used the SONY Test Pattern 1.20 software on my desktop to generate the patterns and an old laptop to run WINDAS.

Yeah. I forget exactly what timing signal they want. I do remember that there are two. One for high frequency and one for low frequency.

It's important you do both at the right frequency, as all the other (signals/resolutions/timings) are interpolated from those.

The pattern itself is a matter of taste.
    mrkhan wrote:
    Hello there!
    First of all many many thanks to P991_DELL_SONY for helping many people around the globe.
    I have a 21" Dell-Sony-P1110. I have nearly built the ecs cable and I am going to change the G2 value tomorrow or very soon. I need suggestion/opinion from users and P991_DELL_SONY in particular. My question is how much the G2 value should be lowered? is there any rule to follow? or it should be lowered at random?

Secondly is it advisable to play around with the G2 value untill satisfatory/perfect results are obtained?

I will highly appreciate opinions from the people who have the same Dell-P1110 and they were able to fix the problem. An early reply is anticipated.

Thanks
    mrkhan

I don't think there is any negative effect from changing the registers too many times. I think it's an EEPROM in most/all chasis, so it doesn't have the limited number of write cycles that a FLASH prom would. Then, I'm not knowledgable about EEPROM wear and tear. There is way to continuosly change register values, as when doing procedures in Windas,I don't know if they're saved continuosly.

The severity of the brightness issue varies between monitors, and varies with time on each monitor. So I don't think there can be a set G2 adjustment.

A while back, people posted what G2 inital, and G2 final they ended up with. I forget what the average was, you may want to look back there.
  • mrmazdamrmazda USA New
    edited May 2007
    I recently acquired 1 P260 (6552 23N) and 2 P275 (6652 U3N) IBM '21"' Trinitrons for under $30 total. Having previous experience with DAS software and Sony and Dell Trinitrons, I immediately recognized via cursory testing they all had too high G2 levels. I lowered the G2 on both P275s, but discovered only after doing both that the display controls on the front will only pretend to work until the display power is cycled. Once the power is cycled, the controls are in lock mode, and the instructions in the manual for getting out of lock mode don't work. Further, even before power cycling, changing modes via the OS after making control adjustments on the front causes any settings made with the front controls in any prior mode to be forgotten when returning to that mode from another. Restoring the original saved settings files don't help. Because my initial tests were so brief, I have no recollection of whether they worked before I used the DAS software on them. Anyone familiar enough with these to know what I can do to make the front controls work correctly?
    edited May 2007
    mrmazda wrote:
    I recently acquired 1 P260 (6552 23N) and 2 P275 (6652 U3N) IBM '21"' Trinitrons for under $30 total. Having previous experience with DAS software and Sony and Dell Trinitrons, I immediately recognized via cursory testing they all had too high G2 levels. I lowered the G2 on both P275s, but discovered only after doing both that the display controls on the front will only pretend to work until the display power is cycled. Once the power is cycled, the controls are in lock mode, and the instructions in the manual for getting out of lock mode don't work. Further, even before power cycling, changing modes via the OS after making control adjustments on the front causes any settings made with the front controls in any prior mode to be forgotten when returning to that mode from another. Restoring the original saved settings files don't help. Because my initial tests were so brief, I have no recollection of whether they worked before I used the DAS software on them. Anyone familiar enough with these to know what I can do to make the front controls work correctly?

This was covered earlier in the thread.
    ginahoy wrote:
    Since writing this, I solved my problem thanks to a little help from DW at eMusicraft. I'm not sure if other monitors behave this way, but with my P992, if I access the OSD prior to cycling the power, it will remain permanently locked when I power the monitor back up. By simply keeping my little fingers off the external controls until AFTER cycling the power, all is well. Who would'a thunk it?
    David

Daxx wrote:
    mrtube wrote:
    if you dont already have them get the CR1 files for windas, then
    go to procedure, and "FINALIZE" its the last thing on the list
    tab to the OK button that i can never see, hit enter, itll say 'FINALIZE??" say YES
    itll finalize, and your OSD will be unlocked

Where do I get the CR1 files? My GDM-F500R has a locked OSD after I loaded a .dat file. I need to unlock this!

Okay nevermind -- my mistake. I didn't press OKAY after the upload was complete. Once I did that, my OSD unlocked.

But I am curious about the CR1 files? What are these files for and if one did need them where do you get them? Monitor specific??

Daxx

About the CR1 files, windas comes with those. CR1 is the chasis for the GDM-F500R and other monitors you likely don't own. There is some confusing and misleading information on the thread, but mostly it points forward.

Anyway, not to be insulting, but right next to the Thread "Rating " is a "Search this thread". Likely, you can think up a phrase like "lock OSD" or "lock" or "locked" that should bring you revelant posts.

Some of the last few posts have been about solved issues.
  • edited May 2007
    Hello all

Urgent help needed!
    I have built the Ecs cable as per instructions described at geocities...

Now after connecting the cable with monitor firstly, and then to the CPU, the monitor simply goes off just like no power. But when the cable is disconnected from the CPU, the monitor returns to normal.

I have no idea why this behaviour. I request any one who has had a similar experience or knows what is going wrong, PLEASE post the
    solution or send me email/pm.

Also what is the order of the 4-pin header at the back of the Dell-P1110 monitor (from top to bottom, for example)? I think i did something wrong with the order, when conecting wires to the 4-pin header.

Notably I did not remove the cover of the monitor, instead there is little cover provided at the rear and removing it leads to the 4-pin header where i connected the cable. Should i have to remove the back cover? or is it enough what i did?

I also searched around the thread but was unable to find the solution of this kind.

An early reply is anticipated.

Desperately looking for a solution!

I have Sony-Dell-P1110 monitor.

mrkhan
    edited May 2007
    mrkhan wrote:
    Hello all

Urgent help needed!
    I have built the Ecs cable as per instructions described at geocities...

Now after connecting the cable with monitor firstly, and then to the CPU, the monitor simply goes off just like no power. But when the cable is disconnected from the CPU, the monitor returns to normal.

I have no idea why this behaviour. I request any one who has had a similar experience or knows what is going wrong, PLEASE post the
    solution or send me email/pm.

Also what is the order of the 4-pin header at the back of the Dell-P1110 monitor (from top to bottom, for example)? I think i did something wrong with the order, when conecting wires to the 4-pin header.

Notably I did not remove the cover of the monitor, instead there is little cover provided at the rear and removing it leads to the 4-pin header where i connected the cable. Should i have to remove the back cover? or is it enough what i did?

I also searched around the thread but was unable to find the solution of this kind.

An early reply is anticipated.

Desperately looking for a solution!

I have Sony-Dell-P1110 monitor.

mrkhan

If you short the +5 to GRND that will happen. I've done this on accident a few times, probably ruins something if left like that too long, maybe it protects itself. I don't know.

Thank you for being brave and building the cable! I was contemplating removing that section, as it just seemed to scare people away.

If you can shine some light in there, the pin order is actually labeled on the monitor.

Search for "Pin order" turned up nine results. This one has a picture.

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?p=390518&highlight=pin+order#post390518

There were about three pictures, ufortunately, search obviously doesn't work unless the posts have words to look for. This thread is too big.

searching 'pin order' 'pins' 'pin' and you find the 'tx' 'rx' notation.

search 'tx', 'rx' or 'txd', 'rxd'
    wench wrote:
    I've got a dell p1110 can you tell me the order on the pins for the programming connector on the monitor from top to bottom(which order are the pins in)
    Thanks.
    sintz wrote:
    Top to bottom as you face the back of the monitor.

GND
    VCC (+5)
    TXD
    RXD .

Hope this reply was fast enough. You've probably sorted it out by now. I appreciate that you attempted to search the thread. It's easy for me to think of the words to search for, before I heard of this though, I'd had no clue.
  • mrmazdamrmazda USA New
    edited May 2007
    This was covered earlier in the thread.
    I searched for "lock", and read all references to it in this thread. I always clicked OK, so that wasn't it. The database not being closed sounds like the problem, but nothing I found that purported to be a solution works. I tried cable disconnect, closing DAS, reloading the data file several times, and combinations of the above in various orders, but always the same result - data from front panel adjustments does not get saved, and power cycling prevents access to adjustment via the front panel controls until that data file is uploaded again.

Every time I've done the data load or save, there has been a long pause at about the 80% of completion point. There are no error messages. I don't remember this happening on my other Trinitrons.
    edited May 2007
    mrmazda wrote:
    I searched for "lock", and read all references to it in this thread.
    Thanks.
    I always clicked OK, so that wasn't it.
    Ok.
    The database not being closed sounds like the problem, but nothing I found that purported to be a solution works.
    I doubt it's that complicated. There is nothing like a database. There is an act of finalization, may simply set a flag.
    I tried cable disconnect, closing DAS, reloading the data file several times, and combinations of the above in various orders, but always the same result - data from front panel adjustments does not get saved, and power cycling prevents access to adjustment via the front panel controls until that data file is uploaded again.

Did you try 'finalize'? I'm sorry if it was obvious you did, it's just not in that rather exhaustive list.
    Every time I've done the data load or save, there has been a long pause at about the 80% of completion point. There are no error messages. I don't remember this happening on my other Trinitrons.
    On all three of those monitors?
    go to procedure, and "FINALIZE" its the last thing on the list
    tab to the OK button that i can never see, hit enter, itll say 'FINALIZE??" say YES
    itll finalize, and your OSD will be unlocked

I guess this didn't work either? I'm sorry if you tried it, it's just, you didn't explicitly mention it. Infact, you didn't explicitly mention either of the quoted solutions. Procedure->finalize was the step I was thinking would help, did it have any effect?Another thing was not to touch the buttons.

My chassis doesn't do the 'lock' stuff. Some chasis do, apparently yours. I don't think these monitors are behaving 'defectively', as what a coincidence all three do it.

What you may want to do in this situation, as a last resort, is monitor the input and output to the monitor. There are serial monitor programs in for windows. Try com0com.sourceforge.net See what goes on during the 'pause' at 80%. Ofcourse, who knows how things are supposed to look. Atleast you have three, and if one is defective, you could isolate it from the others. You can also take a peek at the .bus file. It seems to define the protocol for each chasis.

I take it this cable you're using works fine on other monitors? Atleast you can rule that out.
  • mrmazdamrmazda USA New
    edited May 2007
    I read about procedure and finalize, but working from
    h t t p : slash slash
    www dot
    geocities dot
    com
    gregua
    windas
    adjustment dot
    html
    I wasn't lead to them, finding nothing that looked to me like tabs to click on, and was leery of trying things I didn't have instructions for.

Now from reading your last reply I felt more confident that tabs referred to menu items not discussed on the web page. So, here's where I went, opening the adjustment menu and clicking procedure:
    mrmazda dot no-ip dot com
    SS
    DAS
    DAS1-procedure dot
    png
    which lead me to
    SS
    DAS
    DAS2-procfinalsetting dot
    png
    where I clicked on final setting and then the SEL button. That brought me to
    SS
    DAS
    DAS3-confirm dot
    png
    where I clicked OK, which lead to another confirmation screen h t t p : slash slash
    SS
    DAS
    DAS4-confirm2 dot
    png
    where I again clicked OK. That lead to yet another confirmation screen
    SS
    DAS
    DAS5-confirmed dot
    png
    and another selection/selected screen
    SS
    DAS
    DAS6-confirmed2 dot
    png .
    On this one I clicked exit and then cycled the power to find this time the settings are preserved and the front panel controls accessible.

So, thanks much for your help.

Please update the howto page to include these steps and images so that the next guy to come along needing to finalize doesn't get as perplexed and frustrated as I did. I'll leave them there a short time in order so that they can be saved to the same host as the others.

P.S. - sorry about the divided URLs, but the silly forum software doesn't allow normal ones, and I'm not waiting for any forum admin.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    PS: It allows it, but you must have five posts to have successful URLS in your posts.. It's an anti-spam measure.
    edited May 2007
    mrmazda wrote:
    I read about procedure and finalize, but working from
    www dot
    geocities dot
    com
    gregua
    windas
    adjustment dot
    html
    I wasn't lead to them, finding nothing that looked to me like tabs to click on, and was leery of trying things I didn't have instructions for.

Now from reading your last reply I felt more confident that tabs referred to menu items not discussed on the web page. So, here's where I went, opening the adjustment menu and clicking procedure:

http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/SS/DAS/DAS1-procedure.png

DAS1-procedure.png

which lead me to

http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/SS/DAS/DAS2-procfinalsetting.png

DAS2-procfinalsetting.png

where I clicked on final setting and then the SEL button. That brought me to

http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/SS/DAS/DAS3-confirm.png
    DAS3-confirm.png

where I clicked OK, which lead to another confirmation screen
    http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/SS/DAS/DAS4-confirm2.png
    DAS4-confirm2.png

where I again clicked OK. That lead to yet another confirmation screen

http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/SS/DAS/DAS5-confirmed.png

DAS5-confirmed.png

and another selection/selected screen

http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/SS/DAS/DAS6-confirmed2.png
    DAS6-confirmed2.png

On this one I clicked exit and then cycled the power to find this time the settings are preserved and the front panel controls accessible.

So, thanks much for your help.

Please update the howto page to include these steps and images so that the next guy to come along needing to finalize doesn't get as perplexed and frustrated as I did. I'll leave them there a short time in order so that they can be saved to the same host as the others.

P.S. - sorry about the divided URLs, but the silly forum software doesn't allow normal ones, and I'm not waiting for any forum admin.

Ok, thank YOU for so thoroughly documenting that. I'd never used this chasis, so I had no idea what a procedure it was to do the 'Finalize' step a few people had mentioned. Thank you for permission to add it to my howto. I take it these images are not going to be hosted by you for very long? I'll host them elsewhere unless you object.
  • edited May 2007
    I'm wondering if anybody has any info on the original topic of this thread. I bought a used Sony E500 off Craigslist, and it had the oh-so-common brightness issue. I tried replaced the R459 10MOhm resistor with one that's 6.8MOhm, but now I get no image at all! I reset it to factory settings as well. The monitor turns on, makes the auto-degaussing sound, but that's it. I did accidentally solder one end of the R457 resistor to the R459, and tried turning it on before opening it back up and noticing this...could that have done something? I fixed it so there was no bridging between them, but still no image. Could a fuse have blown, or something? I'm pretty much of a novice with electronics if that wasn't obvious. Thank you, and any insight is greatly appreciated.
    edited May 2007
    I'm wondering if anybody has any info on the original topic of this thread. I bought a used Sony E500 off Craigslist, and it had the oh-so-common brightness issue. I tried replaced the R459 10MOhm resistor with one that's 6.8MOhm, but now I get no image at all! I reset it to factory settings as well. The monitor turns on, makes the auto-degaussing sound, but that's it. I did accidentally solder one end of the R457 resistor to the R459, and tried turning it on before opening it back up and noticing this...could that have done something? I fixed it so there was no bridging between them, but still no image. Could a fuse have blown, or something? I'm pretty much of a novice with electronics if that wasn't obvious. Thank you, and any insight is greatly appreciated.

Just curious. How did you decide which resistor to replace on the E500? I guess it's the same chasis? Even then I've heard there were schematics differences. I only remember instructions for the P1110.

I don't know what can be said at this distance, and with this limited detail. Who ever could help you would have to look into the schematics and guess what could have happened.

It sounds from what you said that you reverted your changes, and now it doesn't work at all. You've introduced a bug into the system and like with anyother problem, you'll have to debug it.

You'll have to take measurements to determine what is not working. The green on light on the front stays on? Do the other grid voltages match what the service manual says they should be? HV is still there?

I hope that if anyone who is fluent with these types of electronics can help out here, that they also give their rundown of how the monitor works, and what can go wrong, what to check, etc.
  • edited May 2007
    The green light stays on, yes. I don't have a voltmeter, unfortunately. I thought the Dell P1110 was the same chassis as the Sony CPD-E500. I used this site as a guide for the process:

hutzelman . com/web/pages/hardware/Mods/SonyCRT/

(I can't post links yet)
    The board has the same layout in my monitor as it does in this picture, so I assumed the Sony and Dell models were anaologous, the difference being the Dell name and plastic case slapped onto the chassis. Can that be confirmed? I'm going to try soldering in the original resistor again to see if I get an image.
    edited May 2007
    The green light stays on, yes. I don't have a voltmeter, unfortunately. I thought the Dell P1110 was the same chassis as the Sony CPD-E500. I used this site as a guide for the process:

hutzelman . com/web/pages/hardware/Mods/SonyCRT/

(I can't post links yet)
    The board has the same layout in my monitor as it does in this picture, so I assumed the Sony and Dell models were anaologous, the difference being the Dell name and plastic case slapped onto the chassis. Can that be confirmed?

I guess you can look at the schematics. Search around, usually you can find them somewhere to download.

You're probably right, it would be cost efective to use as much of the same parts as possible. Maybe it's the same A board.

Still there have been suprises that seem to violate the cost effectiveness argument. Such as the absence of dynamic convergence adjusmets on some chasis. Or the apparent lack of a windas adjustable dynamic focus. (not sure about any inter-chasis differences)

I'm going to try soldering in the original resistor again to see if I get an image.

Oh, I thought you had tried that already. Hopefully you can get back where you started. I honestly don't know what to tell you from there.

Speaking of hardware and schematics. There is a varistor to adjust the HV, it has a cover over it though.

I think this whole resistor/windas thing can be replaced by just turning that varistor slightly.

Just to reiterate. None of these monitors have a G2 problem. The brightness issue will still linger, showing in the 'bright warmup' problem and gradually getting worse with age.

The earlier posts in this thread are misleading. Before page 17 or so, many still believed that the resistor itself was defective!
  • edited May 2007
    Yeah, who knows. I'm gonna see about getting hold of the voltage ratings and a voltmeter... Thanks for the input.

Anybody know where to get the schematics of the CPD-E500?
  • edited May 2007
    Okay, I got the monitor to turn on. Apparently I dripped a tiny amount of solder onto a nearby chip in the little separation between two of the 4 wires coming out of the side of it. I got it out, and now the screen comes on with the new resistor in--and gets brighter and brighter for a few seconds before turning off--the green light goes to a flashing orange one. What might that indicate?
  • edited May 2007
    I got it workin'. Major upgrade from the worthless 19" KDS I had. **** had more curve than J-Lo. Colors on this one look great. :bigggrin:
  • edited May 2007
    Hi Ginahoy,
    Having read your post I too are having problems with the osd locking out on me once i've exited windas when powering off the monitor. How did you solve your problem? I understand that someone gave you the info. Is it something to do with the windas software?
    PLEASE HELP!!
    edited May 2007
    I got it workin'. Major upgrade from the worthless 19" KDS I had. **** had more curve than J-Lo. Colors on this one look great. :bigggrin:

Yay! How exactly did you fix the problem below? Removed more dripped solder?
    Okay, I got the monitor to turn on. Apparently I dripped a tiny amount of solder onto a nearby chip in the little separation between two of the 4 wires coming out of the side of it. I got it out, and now the screen comes on with the new resistor in--and gets brighter and brighter for a few seconds before turning off--the green light goes to a flashing orange one. What might that indicate?

Ok, you probably tripped some ABL circuit. I've done this a few times adjusting the G2 with WinDAS.

Yeah, who knows. I'm gonna see about getting hold of the voltage ratings and a voltmeter... Thanks for the input.

Anybody know where to get the schematics of the CPD-E500?

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/downloadsm/18435/sony_CPD-E500.html

first google hit for 'CPD-E500 service manual'
    Bongo wrote:
    Hi Ginahoy,
    Having read your post I too are having problems with the osd locking out on me once i've exited windas when powering off the monitor. How did you solve your problem? I understand that someone gave you the info. Is it something to do with the windas software?
    PLEASE HELP!!

There is (was?) a huge pictorial post on this. MrMazda just had the same problem and documented it so no one else gets frustrated. I suppose it isn't showing up for you? Procedure->Finalize in the windas software. And don't hit the buttons in windas.

Do you see the big pictorial post? It's pretty hard to miss so maybe it isn't working? I'd like to know if that's the case.