How To Release And Renew IP in XP Home?

ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
edited September 2004 in Science & Tech
danged n00b. I forget how. Anyone?

I did something to my laptop network settings. It sees the network but can't get to the internet thru my DLink router - it was able to earlier, but not able to see the other computers on the Domain. It still can't but now I lost internet too :banghead:

Comments

• entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited September 2004
    Start > Run > cmd > ipconfig /release ... and then ipconfig /renew
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    And look at ipconfig /all when done. IF broadcast is OFF (or that command yeilds no for that line) and your IP address has a .254. in it and your MASK is 255.255.0.0 then you are not getting DHCP from router. Climb into the router's web configurator and grab its DHCP IP and mask. Let IT feed DHCP to LAN. WITH it doing that, you should start seeing any other boxes on LAN with shares open and be able to surf. ALSO, make sure it will feed as many boxes DHCP as needed(including your laptop as one box). MASK being wrong for LAN can also be a limiter on how many boxes can connect at once.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited September 2004
    Also you can use the renew button in winipconfig if you are using windows 9x. Just for anyone who didn't know that ;) Also in linux it is ipconfig eth0 down then ipconfig eth0 up because linux doesn't have release and renew options. Just thought I'd share that.
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    John I have no clue what you just told me.

well, I released but renew times out, unable to contact DHCP server

dammit it was working earlier. I tried to use the wizard to network it to my home domain, it added itself to the workgroup but can't see the rest and now I've lost internet

Intel wireless built in on laptop. DLink router, which has been restarted as an attempt to fix. unsuccessful.
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    Fixed it. No idea exactly what I did. Hit buttons in every network device, wizard and dialogue box until it 'got happy'. Well, at least that's one of us. Pass me my blood pressure meds.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited September 2004
    And look at ipconfig /all when done. IF broadcast is OFF (or that command yeilds no for that line) and your IP address has a .254. in it and your MASK is 255.255.0.0 then you are not getting DHCP from router. Climb into the router's web configurator and grab its DHCP IP and mask. Let IT feed DHCP to LAN. WITH it doing that, you should start seeing any other boxes on LAN with shares open and be able to surf. ALSO, make sure it will feed as many boxes DHCP as needed(including your laptop as one box). MASK being wrong for LAN can also be a limiter on how many boxes can connect at once.
    great advice though