If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

World Travel?

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited Sep 2009 in The Pub
I am curious about traveling the world.. started to think about it today while watching a TV show myroomate likes to watch. It showed Prague and Butapest... plus I have seen it other times with other places they visited, and damn, I justw ant to go to Europe and see everything it has.

How much does this generally cost, and what does one have to do? To get there, and visit. Being that America is not well favored at the moment. :)

Comments

• EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited Sep 2004
    Traveling abroad is really cool, you should go for it. Europe might be pretty expensive, I don't know how much. And I'm sure there's lots of different ways to do it, like in a tour group or in your own small group. Also maybe rental car vs. train, and hotels vs. youth hostels. Lots of choices... figure out what you'd like and check out travel suggestions on the Internet and tour books for the countries.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited Sep 2004
    Yeah, I have thought of that... I just felt it would be best to get some ideas and comments from our brothers across seas. I have no idea where I could go that wouldn't get me killed :banghead:

I have this "desire" to visit many areas, and some of them have had kidnappings and such and I hear they are looking for Americans. But that doesn't phase me, I _am_ an American, and if Terrorists want us hat badly... then perhaps the women do too?;D
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited Sep 2004
    I think your best bet is to get up with a tour group. That way, it might be cheaper on the wallet, and you will visit places that will not get you killed more than likely. Also tour groups usually visit all the neat places that you would take interest in.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited Sep 2004
    hahah you make it sound like the world outside our borders is a ravening horde of barbarians. The only places I would say it would be UNSAFE to go would be Iraq, Afghanistan, Indonesia, maybe the Phillipenes, and the Sudan :eek2:

There's nowhere in europe that you're going to be hunted down. It'll be you and 5,000 other tourists no matter where you go.
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains
    edited Sep 2004
    my family is going to rome when i graduate school, i wanna see REAL art
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited Sep 2004
    See what kind of international study program that your school might have. Sometimes you can get a scholorship to pay for it, too! woot!

http://cb.nexlia.com/London2003/
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited Sep 2004
    if you go to amsterdam you can sta at Mikes apartment but i hear there is sometype of payment! lol
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited Sep 2004
    From what I see on SM concerning what you Americans pay for stuff I think you would find most of Europe quite expensive, esp UK, but there are some incredible things to see.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited Sep 2004
    if you go to amsterdam you can sta at Mikes apartment but i hear there is sometype of payment! lol

;D
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited Sep 2004
    You could of course do a Short-Media Tour of Europe, visiting Short-Medians on your travels. That would take care of England, Wales, Norway & Sweden, don't know about this member called Mike though and his apartment in Amsterdam! ;D . I've heard he doesn't like visitors unless you bring your lady friend :scratch:
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited Sep 2004
    Mike lives in Amsterdam and he wants the visitor to bring the ladies? ;D

Amsterdam is on my list, ohh yes ;)

As for the life or death thing, we Americans don't have crazy spiders that lay in your shooes and paralyse you when they bite :D Dunno where they usually live, but it was "over there" ;D
  • PressXPressX Working! New
    edited Sep 2004
    Try doing the hostel route. You can do most of Europe on a budget. I have an American friend who has just started his year at one of of our universities. He is on a very tight budget but is still going to visit a few other countries while he is here.

Try THIS and THIS and HERE

:welshflag
  • McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA New
    edited Sep 2004
    when I was in europe for a month we hit all the major countries by just renting a car and winging it. WAAAY more fun that way, tour groups don't let you really experience the culture, they herd you along like cattle and drop you off at countless mundane giftshops because they all have contracts with giftshops to bring tourists there. I'd suggest saving up and doing it right(right being the way you feel is best). I know when I was there we stayed in Lichtenstein, Czech Republic(prague, Germany(cologne, berlin, munich, someplace near my families origin, France( paris, normandy, and bayuex) Switzerland, and Austria. We busted ass, but we saw everything we wanted to in a little over 3 weeks and had a **** ton of fun.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited Sep 2004
    I really wish one day I could travel through Europe. :(
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited Sep 2004
    Me too. :(
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited Sep 2004
    I lived in Pamplona, Spain for a month in July of 1996 and it was awesome... San Fermin (running of the Bulls) is an incredible experience and should be done by all at some point in your life...
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    edited Aug 2009
    When I went, I went on my own budget - I backpacked with a group of people around the mainland for two weeks, and then stayed at Brunel University in Uxbridge, England for four.

For the two weeks, the most expensive stuff was travel - the plane ticket was about a thousand bucks (during NON tourist season), and train tickets were generally around twenty-forty euro (this was with a Eurail pass - I highly recommend this particular item).

The only MAJOR advice I'd give you is standard traveling advice - keep a set of clothing in your carryon, copy all your important documents, leave blank checks with someone at home in case you need to borrow money from a friend with you and pay into their account (there was a guy that lost both his checked luggage and his ATM card). I'd also invest in one of those little money belt things, pickpockets are RIDICULOUS in some of the bigger cities.

Otherwise, everything was cheap. In huge cities, you can always find a way to be cheap - hell, half the time I carried a loaf of bread and some cheese as lunch and dinner, with a jar of jam for breakfast (mainly on trains or hiking, when sampling local cuisine was out of the question). Hostels ran anywhere from six to fifteen euro, and most admission fees were supacheap.

I HIGHLY recommend finding out-of-the-way places. Tourist traps (like ALL OF FUCKING PARIS and ALL OF FUCKING ROME) really suck nuts. Consider a trip to the Cinque Terre in Italy or Gimmelwald in Switzerland, and you won't be disappointed. Of course, if you must hit a tourist trap, Munich, Germany is the place to go - that place is a PARTY.
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    edited Aug 2009
    ...Oh christ, this was a dead thread resurrected by a spammer. I am RETARDED.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited Aug 2009
    You got suckered.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited Aug 2009
    It's all right Myrmidon we still love you.
  • mas0nmas0n dallas Icrontian
    edited Aug 2009
    While we're here...did you ever get out and travel, RWB?
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited Sep 2009
    I just got back from 3 1/2 weeks in Europe and it was great. We went from NY to London, Calais France, Paris, Montpillier, Barcelona, Ibiza, denia Spain, back to Barcelona, back to London and flew back to NY. Barcelona was by far my favorite place that we visited. The beaches were amazing and everyone was incredibly friendly.

We used the eurorail/eurostar everywhere except for Spain, which we rented a car instead. I would highly suggest renting a car over the rails. We even had first class tickets and it was still awful. Everyone who worked for the railways acted like total assholes when we even asked simple questions.

You should definitely visit Barcelona if you end up taking this trip.
  • DareDare SD
    edited Sep 2009
    I enjoyed Germany, Ireland, Norway and Spain.
    I did not enjoy France, England, or my 2 month breakdown deep in mexico.
    Travel is always fun though. Been to a few other places passing through, like Canada for example. But if you can hack it, do it. Ive never regretted any of my travels.

@CB said:
    See what kind of international study program that your school might have. Sometimes you can get a scholorship to pay for it, too! woot!

I just wanted to point out that you used to talk like this

TushonThrax
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian

@Thrax said:
    Me too. :(

Update: I have now been to Belgium, France, Germany (twice), Italy, England, Sweden, Taiwan (thrice), Hong Kong, Macau, Japan (twice), South Korea, Mexico, Australia (twice), Netherlands, Thailand. And since it's so far, it sorta counts: Hawaii (twice).

primesuspect
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited 10 Oct

@primesuspect said:

@CB said:

I just wanted to point out that you used to talk like this

Only ironically.

Also: I can add visits to France, Italy, Greece, Spain, Belgium, Netherlands, Austria, and Spain.

BetsyD
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited 9 Oct

Me, as a kid: Mexico once with parents, once with grandparents

Less than 1 day: Canada

Greater than 1 day: Germany 3x, Belgium, Netherlands, France (barely), Italy (only really Venice), Switzerland, Luxembourg

Looking forward to more :)

edited 9 Oct

I've now been to:

Countries I've spent significant and meaningful time in, enough to get to know people/food/culture:

• Canada (more than just quick visits; spent significant time in major cities and in several national parks)
    • France (Paris, Strasbourg)
    • Belgium (Brugge)
    • Italy (Venice, Florence, Rome)
    • Taiwan (Taipei and Yilan county farmland)
    • Vietnam (All over the south, the Mekong Delta, Ho Chi Minh City, and Dalat valley and the Central Highlands)

Countries I've been to briefly, only one city, or spent only one or two days in, enough to want to go back and explore more:

• England
    • Switzerland
    • China

I really want to go to:

• Japan
    • South Africa
    • East Africa
    • Middle East
    • Russia
    • China proper
    • Brazil
  • drasnordrasnor Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

I've gotten around a bit. Places I've spent a week or more:

• Matamoros
    • Toronto
    • Montreal
    • Ottawa
    • Winnipeg
    • Paris
    • Roma
    • Sicilia
    • Beograd
    • Podgarica
    • Skopje
    • Athens
    • Istanbul
    primesuspect
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

I've only been to Israel and the Bahamas. I haven't even been to my wife's home country. My kids have all been there, but not me. My 11-year old has been to Poland, Czech Republic, Germany, and The Netherlands.