Please help me before I implode - HJT Log - Home Search Assistent Plague

Hi there, oh, benevolent tech gods (and possible goddesses), I beg of thee to take pity upon my exhausted, all-out-of-options soul. I'm a fellow geek, but this one has got me banging my head upon the keyboard. My in-laws' computer is infested with spyware. I went over there this evening and there was a plethora of crap upon their system. Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D removed a lot of it, but I cannot get rid of this one to save my life. I followed the removal guide. I followed the alternative instructions. Either I had an I/O (Idiot Operator) error in doing it, or their infestation is more stubborn than a mule, because it just WON'T GO AWAY! *flinch* *twitch* *drool*

I've run Spybot, Ad-Aware (newest versions), CWShredder, HSRemove, about:Buster... I followed the instructions in the guide... As you will see from the log, it came right back, just as different filenames.

Anyway, I am posting the log that I saved right after giving up and retreating in defeat. If someone would please be so kind as to bestow their kindness upon me, I shall extol your virtues to the heavens and pray that the computer gods shall never let you have a bad computing day in your life.

Thank you in advance...

*thud*

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 11:38:10 PM, on 9/23/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\Unload\hpqcmon.exe
C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\SYMANT~1\vptray.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\HPINST~1\plugin\bin\pchbutton.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpobnz08.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hposol08.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnf.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec_Client_Security\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec_Client_Security\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ntrm32.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpoevm08.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\Bin\hpoSTS08.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\javavv.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Profwenz\Desktop\For Samantha - Do Not Delete\HJT\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\izqto.dll/sp.html#10213
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\izqto.dll/sp.html#10213
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\izqto.dll/sp.html#10213
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\izqto.dll/sp.html#10213
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\izqto.dll/sp.html#10213
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\izqto.dll/sp.html#10213
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\izqto.dll/sp.html#10213
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {B87618D3-880E-3E5D-C986-8A0E3397D821} - C:\WINDOWS\iemq.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Share-to-Web Namespace Daemon] c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CamMonitor] c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\Unload\hpqcmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KBD] C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE NvQTwk,NvCplDaemon initialize
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PS2] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\SYMANT~1\vptray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [javavv.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\javavv.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NVIEW] rundll32.exe nview.dll,nViewLoadHook
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Acme.PCHButton] C:\PROGRA~1\HPINST~1\plugin\bin\pchbutton.exe
O4 - Global Startup: hp psc 2000 Series.lnk = C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpobnz08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: officejet 6100.lnk = ?
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM95\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1095953406218

:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    Ahh, implosion is not necessary. Follow along with me and we'll kill this bitch.

Using the END PROCESS TREE method, you'll need to stop the following processes:

and delete the following files:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\izqto.dll
    C:\WINDOWS\iemq.dll

and fix the following entries:

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\izqto.dll/sp.html#10213
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\izqto.dll/sp.html#10213
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = about:blank
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\izqto.dll/sp.html#10213
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\izqto.dll/sp.html#10213
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\izqto.dll/sp.html#10213
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\izqto.dll/sp.html#10213
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\izqto.dll/sp.html#10213
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {B87618D3-880E-3E5D-C986-8A0E3397D821} - C:\WINDOWS\iemq.dll

Now, as per the guide, PULL THE PLUG. Do not shut down properly!

Turn it back on and post a new log :)
  • edited September 2004
    Thanks. I'll do that as soon as I can get over to their place. I'm hoping that they didn't turn off their computer last night when I left.

All this dukkha! :)

Thank you for your help and I'll probably be going over there in about an hour or two.

One thing I did notice when I was hanging out in their windows\system32 folder -- they have a whole bunch of the 'odd' looking dll's and exe files. I noticed that some of the stuff I was deleting had been around since July. They were using the MSN 8 browser consistently up until yesterday when they had their cable modem installed and started using IE. I've got a hunch that this has been on there for a few months, and my only worry is that it's copied itself over and over and over again. Is that possible? Could there be like a ton of 'em in the windows system32 directory?

Thanks again :)

Sammi
  • edited September 2004
    Oy. I just spoke to them -- they had turned the computer off last night, so when I get over there in a couple of hours, I'll redo the log and post it.

*smashing head*

:)

Thanks,
    Me
    edited September 2004
    No problem. I'll be waiting. :thumbsup:

PS: What part of northern michigan are you from?
  • edited September 2004
    Ok, as of now, I'm going over during the weekend when no one will be there. :)

I'm in the Traverse City area, where apparently, summer has decided to come late. :I

-Samantha
    edited September 2004
    My wife just got back from Traverse City area. The weather looked great!
  • edited September 2004
    Yesterday was like 85 or so. Today it's nice and sunny. It's 80 right now. I can't wait til winter - it'll be my first one here. :-D
    edited September 2004
    First one up north, or the first Michigan winter? ;)

Winters in that part of the state aren't that bad. You missed the snowbelt by about 75 miles :D
  • edited September 2004
    First Michigan Winter. I just moved out here in March to be with my partner. I've been out here during the winter before for like 10 days, but haven't actually lived through a winter yet.
    edited September 2004
    Oh you'll love it. It's not THAT bad :rarr:
  • edited September 2004
    Ya, I can't wait :)
  • edited September 2004
    Ok, :) I went over there and pulled a new HJT log, emailed the log to myself, and pasted a big ol note on their monitor and computer saying, 'DO NOT TURN OFF' THAT way, it doesn't rename itself. *thud*

here is the current log as it is currently infected:

Scan saved at 3:08:19 PM, on 9/25/2004

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Profwenz\Desktop\For Samantha - Do Not Delete\HJT\HijackThis.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Share-to-Web Namespace Daemon] c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CamMonitor] c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\Unload\hpqcmon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Acme.PCHButton] C:\PROGRA~1\HPINST~1\plugin\bin\pchbutton.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: hp psc 2000 Series.lnk = C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpobnz08.exe
    O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM95\aim.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1095953406218

Just tell me what to do and I'll go back over there and do it. :)

Thanks so much!

Samantha
    edited September 2004
    Well luckily it's almost the exact same as the last log, so go ahead and follow the instructions from my earlier post and report back here :)
  • edited September 2004
    Well luckily it's almost the exact same as the last log, so go ahead and follow the instructions from my earlier post and report back here :)

Yo. Ok, I'm over there at the folks' house. Here is the new log, I think we're good, although I gotta tell ya - that when I was deleting the files you told me to, I noticed very similar names with very similar dates on 'em. I'm too afraid to open IE, I've installed Mozilla Firefox and told them to use only that.

One more thing - I have noticed a couple of times while being in Notepad on this system, that it'll just close on me out of nowhere, no prompt to save or anything. Does this mean that the malware messed up Notepad?

If so, will using Notepad before restoring it, re-infect the system? :)

Once again, thank you so much. I truly appreciate all your help.

I Think we're good. Let me know :)

Scan saved at 7:41:36 PM, on 9/25/2004

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe

Samantha
    edited September 2004
    Sorry - I was too busy this weekend to even get to a computer. :(

The log looks super clean. Yes, it is definitely possible (and even probably) that malware messed up notepad. Check out what Dexter has to say about that.

Glad you signed up, glad we could help :) Hopefully, you'll stick around....

we could use more people that know what dukkha means around here ;)
This discussion has been closed.