Slow Win2000 Keyboard Shortcuts (Desktop)

EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
edited June 2008 in Science & Tech
I've been having this problem for more than a year and it's just irksome. I'm running Windows 2000 Server and I use very frequently the shortcuts on the desktop with the keyboard shortcuts I assigned them. I loved it at first when I found out there was no 2sec delay or whatever as there was in Win98 for starting programs like this. The responsiveness was and is very nice.

But explorer has a problem a little too often. The taskbar will freeze (no updates, cursor may be a resize all the way through) and no keyboard shortcuts will work. Usually, though, I can double click something on the desktop. Anyway, this seems to happen when I use a keyboard shortcut sometimes - the taskbar generally won't freeze until I try a shortcut but when I do it will sit for maybe 10-20 seconds before starting the program and refreshing the taskbar. I'm sure most of the times I use a keyboard shortcut it's fine, but I experience this problem many times a day. It's been impossible to search for so I was wondering if any of you have encountered it. I don't know if it occurs on WinXP but this has always happened, even on multiple installations on multiple setups. Anyway, if you need any more info (it's a little hard to describe) please ask. Anyone?

Comments

• SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited June 2003
    You say generally it doesn't happen until you try using a shortcut. If it does happen, even if only occasionaly without using the shortcuts then it would be reasonable to suspect that the keyboard shortcuts aren't the cause of this. The whole use of the shortcuts may simply be a strong catalyst for the problem.

I know I'm stabbing in the dark a little here, but try the below, just to try and see if we can pin point the problem a bit more ;

In the start menu go to 'run' and type msconfig. Under the general tab, select 'selective startup' and then uncheck 'load startup items'. Then reboot. If the problem appears to have been cured upon reboot, then you will know that it is one or more items in the startup list which are causing the freezing. If the problem does seem to have been cured, then (back in 'msconfig' this time under the startup tab) one by one recheck each startup item followed by a reboot until it becomes clear which program is responsible.

Let me know how you get on.
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Ok. Stab in the dark is better than ... ignorance in the dark? :)

Started a few things manually - sndvol32 and f@h so far. We'll see if it burps...

You're definitely right that it's not necessarily when I use a shortcut only (mm that was a lot of qualifiers). I'd be less likely to notice it when I'm not expecting a program to start up immediately, and I'm pretty sure it's happened out of the blue before. I'm just used to it being when I try one.
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited June 2003
    Well keep testing and if you still can't identify the problem I'll have a think about what else it could be.
  • edited January 2007
    Hi forum, I have the same problem. Am using XP pro sp2. Pressing the CTRL+ALT+[key] that I have assigned for shortcuts on my desktop (google, notepad etc) sometimes freezes the taskbar (I have mine on autohide) in hidden mode and the program doesn't start for say 5-20 seconds. If I have my desktop icons visible I can click them to start the very same program (via the shortcut icon which has the shortcut assigned to it) and that program starts and is usable. Then after the 5-20 seconds another instance of the program starts as the shortcut keypress 'catches up'. I have also noticed sometimes with webpage shortcuts via a keypress, I get a save file box trying to save 'index.htm' instead of the webpage. Any ideas on the cause or a fix?
  • edited March 2007
    I have the same problem. I figured if I posted again someone might catch it and have a solution.
    Thanks for the help if you do have the solution.
  • edited June 2008
    Try adding SafeDllSearchMode to the register. It worked for me. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306850/
    I need your help. Do you know anyone who wants to feel and look better as they grow older or even take back lost ground and who might be looking for a business that support their life and values? If you do, or would like to try yourself the products I represent, email me at fabio@fabimar.com. Thanks!