Silencing IE

MountainDewMountainDew Kentwood, MI
edited October 2004 in Science & Tech
This has been bugging me for a long time. It happens many times a day:

There I am, listening to my music through winamp. I get a little bored, so I decide to play a flash game. I start the game, and WHOA HO! Now I have my music AND the game music playing. Yes, i know about the mute button in the game, but most don't have one. Is there any way to silence these damned games???

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Right click on the little icon of the naked speaker in your system tray (the same one that you left click to adjust your volume). Choose 'open volume control'. This will open a new window with several slidebars. Go to the 'options' menu at the top and select 'properties'. In the new dialog box you should see a panel with a list of radio boxes. Turn them all on.

When you return to your master sound window, you should see slide bars for every type of sound input that you computer accepts. You can mute them and adjust them individual of the master slidebar. This will solve your problem unless the music you play and the games you play use the same sound source (example: if they are both playing Waves then muting the game sounds will also mute your music). If that is your case, then you need some other solution. :) See if this helps and report back

:D
  • MountainDewMountainDew Kentwood, MI
    edited October 2004
    Thanks for assisting me CB, but when I tried muting each of them, only 'wave' and 'master volume' muted the sound, and unfortunatly, both the games and the music are from the same source :banghead:

If anyone else has any other suggestions, tell away :D
  • GuyuteGuyute Gamehenge
    edited October 2004
    There is a check box in Tools>Internet Options>Advanced. about 2/3 down is the multimedia section. Try toggling "play sounds in web pages" or some of the others...
  • MountainDewMountainDew Kentwood, MI
    edited October 2004
    Awesome, thanks Guyute! :thumbsup:

I can't believe I didn't see that....

EDIT: apparently this doesn't work with the games...hm...i guess it only applies to music people insert into web pages.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Ya, that only applies to sounds and music that are imbedded with HTML. Flash games are executed by a seperate program, so are not effected by IE's internet tools.

I've been rackin' my brain MD, I can't think of anyway to turn off flash sounds... If Flash had some kind of options console that we could access, like Java, then it should be easy to do, but I've never seen that...