Keith "Mortin" Whitsitt

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Celcho, that video was great. Really put a smile on my face to see Keith as we would all like to remember him.
  • XyphusXyphus South Bend, Indiana
    edited October 2004
    Wow.. I had to do a double-take when I saw that name in the news on the front page. My condolences to Keith's family and friends, and to all those who knew him closely.

I remember him well from Icrontic, though not personally. It saddens me all the same.

:(
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    I will never forget how Icrontic helped me with the KT7-Raid FAQ and the forums. RIP Keith, your services to all of us will never be forgotten.
  • Bad_KarmaBad_Karma The Great White North
    edited October 2004
    :sad2:
    To all that knew and loved Keith I am sorry for your loss.

Thanks for starting a great online community Mortin.

God Bless.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    I hope you feel good about this and pay dearly for leaving a good friend and a nice webmaster to die alone.
    I'm sure there were many who felt malice toward Mortin at various times through the years. What happened to Icrontic was unfortunate and many were upset about it, but I think that was a terrible generalization to make.

What was lost from Icrontic was data. Bits of info and words stored in a database. No hacker could destroy what counts most in a community: the bonds of history and friendship that keep us together year after year. That is Mortin's gift to us, and we genuinely appreciate it.

In addition, I think you've done the man a horrible diservice and slandered him to suggest he would take his own life over a website. That's just sick and demeaning, especially the way you described it.

I've spent the last several hours sitting here at the computer trying to contact various people who've worked with him on the internet over the years to try and let them know about this tragic event. I can't claim a true friendship with him, but I'll be damned if this news didn't hit me like a kick to the stomach. For those of us who feel like these people posting with us are our second families, Mortin was a sort of patriarch who made it all possible and held the various branches of the community together by a common association.

I respectfully request in the strongest terms and as a staff member of this site that you not post in such a slanderous and demeaning way again.
  • edited October 2004
    Mortin made a Ultima Online life possible for ALOT of people, we have all so much to thank him for what he done for us and the good time he made for us possible, the whole community that lives today are chocked and sorry about what has happened. Mortin might be gone, but to us he will never be forgotten, there is not a week when he is not mentioned and spoken, he as a fair and good administrator and did hard work for us, rest in peace mortin and hope to see you again someday.

Ego-Crusher of Icronticshard
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Don't bother replying to amdlover, it's just gt/meepins again.

i can't believe this, i wish he would have sought out help instead of this apparent suicide. i'm just in shock. don't know what else to say. god bles him and his family, i just can't imagine what they're going through right now.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    I'm sorry to hear about Mortin.
    My son loves the video ...I've never heard him laugh so hard ...I play it over and over and he really gets a kick out of it.
    I first came to Icrontic when I was building dad's KA7 and I've been coming here to SM ever since the hack.
    I remember xsilentdX, oppainter, spinner, equito and tex mostly ...there were quite a few more I know but those are the ones I can think of right off the bat. I also started folding back then.
    edited October 2004
    Mortin made a Ultima Online life possible for ALOT of people, we have all so much to thank him for what he done for us and the good time he made for us possible, the whole community that lives today are chocked and sorry about what has happened. Mortin might be gone, but to us he will never be forgotten, there is not a week when he is not mentioned and spoken, he as a fair and good administrator and did hard work for us, rest in peace mortin and hope to see you again someday.

Ego-Crusher of Icronticshard
    Glad to hear from someone from the shard - another great community Keith fostered. Thank you for stopping by, Ego-Crusher!
  • edited October 2004
    I remember when the site got hacked I was at Keiths house when he decided to stop the site. He didn't want to do it but he had to cause he didn't have the time to completely remake the whole site from scratch.

Live in peace Mortin
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    First of all the idea that Keith killed himself is mere speculation. I'm sure celcho will respond in this thread when he feels up to it, or has more information, but suffice to say that there is reason to suspect foul play.

So Jeff, we don't need your "ooh look how mean I can be" crap. You are just a pathetic, sad kid. I feel bad for you. I hope you find happiness in your life, because you could sure use some right about now.
  • edited October 2004
    I've just heard this sad news via the Short-Media press release. I never met Mortin, but worked with him on Apushardware and Icrontic, generating the original "Paul's Unofficial ABIT KA7 FAQ" and "Paul's Unofficial ABIT KT7 FAQ" for the site. Although we eventually fell out, and I moved on to VIAHardware/Sudhian, this is obviously a much bigger event than differences over a website. Sad news. RIP.

Paul (Howland)
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited October 2004
    Speculation about how Keith died or why he died is not appropriate here. Flaming will not be tolerated here. It is in very poor taste.

Icrontic was hacked. There were no backups. Days after when I said that I wanted to start a site Keith offered to host. I declined and within minutes Keith sent me a link on ICQ to the Icrontic domain on Ebay. There was no controversy. Keith just didn't have the time or determination to maintain Icrontic anymore.

That's exactly the way it happened.

I never met Keith "Mortin" Whitsitt in person but I knew him well in our digital world. I cannot say one bad word about him. He was my mentor at the time and he always had a good word for me.

Many around him took forum life too seriously. He never did. He never let it bother him. He always kept it in perspective. He could push back from the keyboard and laugh at himself. He created quite the community in those days of Apus and Icrontic and many had expectations of him far greater than anyone Keith's age should take responsibility for. But he did and for a long time the digital world of Apus and Icrontic thrived and grew.

I could read something in Keith. He had charisma. He had good friends. He had all the makings to be very successful. I watched him slide. I watched him stumble but he got back up again.

I'm nearly twice his age and I always said this to Keith. "Hey boss. When you run the world...I'll come work for you." For whatever reason, Keith won't have the chance to read those words again.

And many will miss him.
  • godzilla525godzilla525 Western Pennsylvania Member
    edited October 2004
    I'm speechless. :eek:

I've been around since the days of the KT7 FAQ.

I would also like to thank Mortin for creating the best hardware site and for all the time and effort put into it. I will miss you. :(
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    I've just heard this sad news via the Short-Media press release. I never met Mortin, but worked with him on Apushardware and Icrontic, generating the original "Paul's Unofficial ABIT KA7 FAQ" and "Paul's Unofficial ABIT KT7 FAQ" for the site. Although we eventually fell out, and I moved on to VIAHardware/Sudhian, this is obviously a much bigger event than differences over a website. Sad news. RIP.

Paul Howland

Thank you very much for dropping in and leaving your comments. You were a huge part of Icrontic's success; it's only fitting that you've added to our memorial thread.
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited October 2004
    Keith's outrageously funny "Ghetto Hardware" episodes are what compelled me to become a member of the Icrontic community on today's exact date (October 24th) in the year 2002.

What a way to mark a 2-year member anniversary. :(:(

By running Icrontic, Keith offered us all a community in which we could meet fellow tech enthusiasts, share ideas and create friendships. Icrontic was one of the first online hardware forums that I joined and quickly became one of my favourite sites to spend time at daily. It also became one of only 2 websites that I felt completely compelled to give back to the community by becoming a staff member and helping as many people as possible.

While the original Icrontic no longer exists in its' previous form, the close-knit community that was created there still largely exists today in the form of many of Short-Media's active members.

Thanks Keith for providing a community from which all of us have gained so much.

The legacy of Mortin & the original Icrontic shall live on, and each of us are a small part of it.

For whatever you do... this Spudz' for you.

~ Adam "SimGuy" Hughes
  • XanderXander (See Avatar)
    edited October 2004
    I never really knew him all that well but he was one of the first guys to welcome me to icrontic when I first joined.

My condolences and prayers go with his family. He is with God now and no longer has the problems of the world of today.

It's the unusual people you meet in life that define what it truely means to live.
    He will be missed.
  • EQuitoEQuito SoCal, USA
    edited October 2004
    OMG, this is so sad. I can't believe what I'm reading... :(

Apu's Hardware was the first forum I've ever registered to. At that time I was unemployed so all I did was just be there day after day. In fact, I was the winner of the first giveaway for most posts in a week or something like that.

Mortin and I communicated very often back then and we had our differences sometimes but overall I think of him as a friend and the one responsible for all of us being here remembering him.

Where ever you are Keith, God bless your soul and thanks for giving us good times, good friendships, great memories and that wonderful place called Icrontic.

My most sincere condolences to his family and friends.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Like so many of you Apus/Icrontic was the first forum I ever registered to. Keith was also a strong supporter when I built my first computer, and helped me many times. I wish the best for his surviving family and friends. It really gets me bad when I see such a good young person go.
    Much like the honoring of bart williams, I believe smx20 should honor Keith's name.

May your soul rest in eternal peace.
  • edited October 2004
    Hello, everyone!

I'm Adrian, from Adrian's Rojak Pot.

I never really knew Keith but I remember corresponding via e-mail with him in the past. But even if I never knew Keith beyond our e-mails, it is still a great tragedy when someone loses his life. :(

All of us at Team ARP would like to extend our condolences to Keith's family. It must have been a really difficult decision for his mother to take him off life support.

Let us all remember him for person he tried to be; and the contributions he made to the tech community.
  • edited October 2004
    Like many people here I ran into Icrontic looking for help, the KT7A to be percise was giving me trouble. After an initial post and kind help I was hooked and spent the next three years there.

Its Shocking news. I have spoken to Mortin before and he certainly was very keen and held a special fondness for his community that he created. I may have had my differences with him at times (as a lot of us did) but hold nothing against him, especially after learning he was bipolar. In the end Mortin was always more than the sum of his parts, he was the creator of everything we have here, the reason everyone at Icrontic and SM are friends still. His loss is our loss.
    Many thanks to Shorty and GK for giving me the opportunity to comment.
  • BLuKnightBLuKnight Lehi, UT Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    It's really hard to take this in. I too first started out by accidentally running into icrontic.com. (First time I ever joined a tech forum.) Keith will be missed. He made me laugh and had one heck of a site. My thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.
  • edited October 2004
    If my memory serves me right, I stumbled upon the Icrontic website right about the time of the "X-box dissection". (I think it was an x-box...). I could not believe someone was actually dismantling one of these things (at the time they where like gold-dust where I live). I thought the guy was completely crazy, I then read the Getto articles and my suspicions where confirmed. Top class stuff. I asked alot of "odd" questions relating to specific hardware, but always got a response and help when I needed it. Testimony to the community he had created.

I never met the guy, I only knew him by reputation on Icrontic. I was truly sorry to see Ircontic go after the hack. After reading this thread, I took a trip down memory lane...

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.icrontic.com

Alot of the links don't work but you can see the effort the guy put in.

To the family and friends, my condolences.

RIP.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Sometimes Keith and I agreed, and sometimes we disagreed. Despite any disagreements, I've got nothing but respect for him, as he's the one that made all this possible. I'm very sorry to hear this, and I'll be sending a little something along to the fund that Brian started.
  • edited October 2004
    wow, i never knew keith did so much. this girl i know was dating keith (i never met him) for like a year and a half, and a couple days ago, i found out what happened. i live here in gainesville, so i kinda know what happened, considering i know some of keith's closest friends and what not. if i get a chance, ill go get a picture of the wall on 34th street where keiths gf, and 2 best friends have painted a memorial thing. it is a sad thing to hear, even if i never met him :(
    edited October 2004
    if i get a chance, ill go get a picture of the wall on 34th street where keiths gf, and 2 best friends have painted a memorial thing.
    We'd appreciate that very much! Thank you for stopping in.
  • edited October 2004
    My condolences to his friends and family.
  • edited October 2004
    IMG_2068.jpg
    hopefully that works.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    As with many others here that came from the original Icrontic/ APUS Hardware community... I had never evolved myself with an online forum until I came across the APUS hardware site. I learned tons of things in the early days. I joined Icrontic in 2002 and I really enjoyed the being a member. I never had any business dealings with Mortin, just read his articles and posts. From that I considered him a good guy. Seems like many of the draw backs had to do with management of the site not the quality of the person.

I whole heartedly agree with the sentiment that without Mortin, we would not be here. Plain and simple...

Was George Washington a GREAT guy, He owned slaves, did some tobacco farming, rebelled against the government... those traits wouldn't necessarily make him a great guy, but he helped forge the United States of America. For that he is worshiped and honored with a holiday. Mortin... You are the forefather of Short-Media & Icrontic. Without you, many friendships would not be... for that I honor you and your legacy.

<center><font size=4 color=red>Rest in Peace, Keith Allen "Mortin" Whitsitt, rest in peace.</font></center>
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited October 2004
    My prayers go out to his family and friends, terrible tragady indeed.
    I didn't know him much, but I remember stumbleing into Icrontic a year or so before it got hacked trying to get help for my Abit KR7 board. During my search for help Icrontic was the place where I found that a person could get help in a personable way. He was instramental in creating a place where all could come and get help and also make new friends.

Thanks Mort for your time and effort in makeing your vision a reality of bringing those in need of help to a place where answers to problems could be found. Many of us dream of things like this but never take action, you did, and its obvious by all of the responce here your vision touched so many in so many different ways, RIP dude.

"g"