Need help getting a switch to work

CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
edited November 2004 in Science & Tech
I picked up a 16 port switch (Planet FNSW-1601) the other day to replace my failed Netgear 16 port hub. I plugged my PC's into the switch, as well as my Linksys switch/cable modem, and I think I am getting collissions. The hub that I have downstream from the switch looks OK (no yellow LED on the COL row), but all other PC's, incl port 16 (uplink to the Linksys) show up as COL.

What trick to I need to perform to get my Planet switch to work with my Linksys Switch so that all PC's can go through the switch, uplink to Linksys, and then get to internet?

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    HMMM..... Does the Planet switch have an AUI Port??? If SO, a crossover cable from that AUI on the Planet switch to a normal port on the Linksys MIGHT HELP. Then use the other ports for the normal computers.... I can't say I understand WHY you need TWO switches when you have less than 16 boxes, though (if they all, including the Linksys uplink, plug into the Planet???).... Why not plug the computers all into the Linksys switch(not enough ports, after a reread, on the Linksys switch, looks like)??? Wiring run length, wireless connects, what is up, as far as needs??? IT SOUNDs like the switches are colliding with each other (despite your modem, or you have both using same exact subnet and thus both are answering queries to EACH single one.

Unlike where you have a hub and a switch, switches can and often DO also autobridge and can thus need to be acting as bridges when you hop from switch to switch (or through two switches to get to the internet), at least for the switch-to-switch interface. So, unless you can get your Planet switch to ACT like a dumb hub and use an AUI port or a port designated as AUI on the Planet switch to do switch uplink bridge methodology to the Linksys, you get to setup a 2 subnet IP structure. And that can be a PITA of a thing to do if you do not need a second switch for capacity....

Switches DO autobridge by nature, link from one switch to second would tend to be an AUI ideally if you want a single subnet.

One thing, if you have Switch<--line-->Hub<--line-->Switch, I would do this instead:

Hub<--line-->Switch<--AUI LINE-->Switch instead. Reason is this-- each switch wants its own subnet, definitely (this can be part of a BIGGER subnet, but each swtich needs its own subnet in any case). Hub will be part of whatever subnet the switch is set to that it is hooked to.
    IF you go Switch<--line-->Hub<--line-->Switch, this happens: Firstly, the hub WILL be part of the SECOND switch's subnet. Secondly, the SWITCH downstream off the hub will be getting ALL the hub traffic (regardless of the specific port the traffic should be ending up at, as hubs copy all traffic to all ports and switches do NOT)-- guess what, the switch will show collision lights on everything EXCEPT the hub port.

Give us some idea of how things are physically laid out, how many computers you have, and whether you HAVE to have them all on one subnet, OK??? Otherwise, any of 20 subscenarios could be in place as far as port specifics. But the gross (larger, bigger) problem looks like a role mismosh in the setup. We need more info to get deeper into details, the basic line layout I used, wtih some ideas of how many computers are hooked to each device and how the devices physically connect (hob and switches) will let us figure out one best answer. For now I will settle for defining the larger problem.
  • CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
    edited November 2004
    The Linksys is a WGC200, it's a cable modem w. an integrated router/switch/firewall all in one box. Cable goes into Linksys, comes out via 1 of 4 ethernet ports. Only using one of those, uplinking it to the Planet switch.

My network is a home network, 3-4 boxes total. The switch was bought used, cheaply. The switch has an uplink port, and appears to share that port with port 16, but they are physically different ports.

Layout is like this:

CABLE LINE --->Linksys--->Cat 5--->Planet switch--->ethernet--->PC's OR hub.

I'm not sure if it's possible for me to put the Linksys on a diff. subnet or not, and I don't know if I am able to do any configuration to the Planet switch, not even sure what it's address is at this point.

Thanks for any help you can offer. One possible option is I take the switch back and trade it in for a hub.

Bill