External USB Modems

CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
edited November 2004 in Science & Tech
My mother, who uses dialup, is having a host of issues with her PCI winmodem (NetoDragon 56K for those who care, connection is made, speed reported at 49K or some such, but web pages (Google, Yahoo) load at an insanely SLOWWWWWW speed). Rather than continue to dink around with it, I'm using my tried and true solution of throwing money at the problem and replacing the crappy winmodem. I'd like to buy her an external USB modem, idea being it would be something she could use for years, move it from one PC to the next as she upgrades, and be good to go.

I've no experience with a USB modem, just serial. Is a USB modem as easy to move around and use on ANY OS (mostly) free from drivers, just like a serial modem, or does it act like a winmodem and farm out it's processing to the CPU of the PC?

FYI, the modem I am looking at is this: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=25-100-103&depa=0

Innocom V.92/56Kbps External Data/Fax/voice Modem, Model IT-CE210

Thanks!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    Be aware that USB modems are hell on system performance. It does, in fact, farm out its processing to the CPU.
  • CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
    edited November 2004
    So a traditional serial external modem would likely be the route to take?

I was thinking USB as so many boards anymore are phasing out serial in favor of firewire, more USB, etc. I can't see her buying broadband anytime soon, so I'd like to buy something that'd last her awhile. That said, I also don't see her swapping motherboards anytime soon either.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    Why not just buy a REAL PCI modem?

That's honestly your best bet, even though it is a bit harder to migrate between systems.
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited November 2004
    Ugh this reminds me of the USB modem we had from Bellsouth. At first it was great but it was still a PITA to move, had to take the cd, load software AND drivers, and the thing STILL wasn't as fast as an external network modem. :-/ (The kind that connects through a CAT 5 cable) After the first year the damn thing pretty much refused to work. We would get kicked off the 'net every time the phone rang. :wtf:

Maybe it's just me, but I would stay away from a USB modem. :shakehead
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    A USR V.92 is at least $70, and worth it if you are on dial up.
    You can get PCI or external using serial cable.
    The PCI versions can be a pain to set up, getting hte right port assigned. But once you have it it will work fine.

Just an aside to those on dial up. Has your connect speed been lower recently? I suspect that my ISP is deliberatly reducing service to dial up users trying to force everyone to broadband. It doesn't cost them any more to run and they charge twice the price.