WoW - Unplayable due to lag

tcithtcith Sydney, Australia Member
edited November 2004 in Gaming
Well I got my copy of WoW ysterday and since I had the day off decided to give it a bash.

for the past 5 hours I have struggled with three seperate characters on three seperate realms - the lag was absolutely pathetic.

I was dropped off servers on more than one occasion and sat frozen for more than 10to 15 minutes at other times.

Many of the other players around me groaned and moaned about it - others said "wait and it will get better"

For a 1st impression/user experience it was woeful - I currently can't connect as it thinks I am still logged in (I have been waiting over 30min)

The support forums offer little in the way of explanation or timing for a fix

Will wait awhile and see if this lag issue is resolved but in it's current state the game is a complete flop and not worth the money I paid.

Comments

• GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    wow I am on SAT internet connection which in my opinion sucks donkey balls and i was in Elune the past 2 hrs. No problems at all
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    Welcome to the first 96 hours of the most successful opening day for an MMO in gaming history.

You can't tell me that you didn't expect it with an excess of 500,000 beta players. While lag sucks, I can scarcely sympathize as I knew it would happen, and have waited to buy it as a result. I knew servers would be jammed, I knew login servers would be hammered, and I knew people would be flooding the game.

The fix? Time and server maintenance. Just wait it out. You're not paying monthly for a game that'll be like this forever. Patience is a virtue.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    servers are down for maintenance for 2 hrs
  • tcithtcith Sydney, Australia Member
    edited November 2004
    Well looks like I am in the same boat with alot of other Aussies

WoW has been hyped in Australia, and they made a big "noise" about it being released here simultaniously with the USA but alas there are no Oceana servers.

The the Australian gamers network we have put unofficail claim on two of the Pacific servers Blackrock and Proudmore so I guess when they come back up I'll start creating some chars on those so I have at least people in my time zone playing

When I use to play Asherons call I often found myself almost alone on a server as all the USA players where in bed or at work/school

anyhow - will see if these server downs help with the lag

As for a "successfull launch" I'll wait and see if they can make this playable before I make my decision
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    Even in the US it has been crappy. I got about 6 hours in (23rd) and then it went to crap, and it has been that way for the whole day (24th). Its a great game, they just need to fix the problems. They have opened about 16 more servers in each zone, but its still messed up.

Its a successful launch in the sense that tons of people are playing; its unsuccessful in the sense that the servers weren't prepared for such a load.
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    Just got off about 3 hours worth on the east coast server mentioned in the other thread. I know it's 3:30 am out east but anyways, it's been fine for the time I've been on. They shut down Mountain and Pacific for a while, so I went ahead and made a Dwarf Paladin on Elune server. Lvl 6, keto.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    Ugh, 6am est and I'm done playing for the night, so tired, yet so addicted!!! I'm lvl 12 or something now, I dunno, my brain stopped.... stupid mmorpgs.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    I've been watching my cousin play.... I see this timer saying 30minutes... 33 minutes.... 45 minutes.... it just goes up and up and up... he doesn't seem to mind, but I would go NUTS!!!