Black Friday

EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
edited November 2004 in Trading Post
I guess this is the right place for discussing Black Friday. If you don't know, this is the day after Thanksgiving on which all the retail stores put out utterly insane deals and everyone waits for the stores to open starting real early in the morning.

I was waiting till tomorrow to get the ads but my friend gave me this link: www.bf2004.com - get all the ads there. Not 100% reliable but a good place to get a head start. So far what's piqued my interest are the Geforce6800, 160GB HD, DVD burner, and writable DVDs.

So who else plans on wreaking havoc on their sleep schedules in order to get some sweet sweet deals?

Comments

• MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited November 2004
    Definition: The day after Thanksgiving in the United States, is frequently referred to as Black Friday.

General Use: One of the major U.S. holiday shopping days. The day many U.S. consumers begin Christmas shopping. The day is heavily promoted by retailers.

Origin: The origin of Black Friday comes from the shift to profitability during the holiday season. Black Friday was when retailers went from being unprofitable, or "in the red," to being profitable, or "in the black", at a time when accounting records were kept by hand and red indicated loss and black profit.

Links o plenty

http://blackfridaydeals.blogspot.com/
    http://blackfridaydeals.ebloggy.com/
    http://blackfridaydeals.blogdrive.com/
  • Lord_NightLord_Night Piqua Ohio
    edited November 2004
    also the only day of the year in where almost every major chain store opens at 5am to 6am on friday morning......

There have been wars started over this stuff... I have seen it......
    I stay away from it.......
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    (in paranoid hippy voice)
    It's not worth it man! Those people are totally crazy, man!

I did it a couple years ago at Circuit City and vowed to never do it again. Oh, and if you're ever tempted by a Wal-Mart Black Friday sale, there's a good chance they'll still have some stuff left over later in the day or on Saturday - they're the only ones who actually order enough of this stuff to meet demand. The strategy of every other place is to just get a bunch of suckers in their store.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    what utter madness.....
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    Even tho i am broke i am still going to best buy to see if i can find some insane deals on cdrs and stuff
  • floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
    edited November 2004
    Black Friday? Nowt like that here in blighty. Except maybe the January sales.

For a moment there I thought me mate Lennox was having a party tomorrow and inviting a few of the bruthas round.
  • Access_DeniedAccess_Denied tennessee
    edited November 2004
    i juat happened to be working at walmart this time last year on blitz day (black firday) and i can tell you first hand it is a disaster waiting to happen.. this girl was waiting for us to open the boxes of merchendise an her blood suger got too low from standing for 2 1/2 hours and she passed out and puked all over the floor.. yuck
    i worked a 16 hour day that day. came in at 6pm thur evning and left 10am the following morning.. im never doing that again :bawling:
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    Heh, I got lucky. I was working at Wal-Mart at the time, but I got the day off somehow. Maybe because I worked in produce :D
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited November 2004
    I picked up a 6800 at Comp-USA, even though it looked like they only had 3 of them in stock. turns out everyone that was in front of me in line was waiting for those ****ty ****ty cheap as hell laptops. anyway they all ran around frantically trying to buy stuff, i just walked in, grabbed my shiny new 6800, and cashed out and left. 10th one in, 1st one out
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    It's worse here in PR. Most places open at 4am and people are usually waiting since 12-1am. Not worth it IMHO. People are so ghetto here they could probably knife you if you take the last xbox or something. Bah, when I get older, I'm just gonna tell my kids santa's fake from the get go and just buy the toys on the sales after christmas. :crazy: