Wow - Bored and not going to subscribe

tcithtcith Sydney, Australia Member
edited December 2004 in Gaming
O.k - I have decided not subscribe to WoW after my free month (in fact I have stopped playing)

my reasons - these are purely my opinions which I am entitled to, feel free to disagree, just thought I would share ......

I have 4 "Toons"
Level 38 Warlock
Level 27 Paladin
Level 31 Mage
Level 30 Hunter

I have been playing less than a month and I find these levels are too easy to attain - I played Asherons Call (original/Dark Majesty) for 18 months and leveling was much slower and each level felt satisfying.

Quests in WoW are too "kill multiple targets and collect the # of trophies for reward" over and over and over and over.

Character customisation is very limited, I have no control over how my attributes develop, yes I can choose the spell and skill paths but I have little input into the character "intellect, strength etc" attributes
in other MMO's you get input into how you want to develop the "physical" attributes - this discourages "hybrid" characters which I think narrows the game too much for my liking.

I can't "look" at the items others have, I may have an uber sword but no one knows that, I can't select an item on another character and "examine" it and see what they have, again other MMO's allow this, and allow me to affect that item (positively and negatively)

Did I mention that you have to kill things over and over ?

Quest system is very limited, I was getting really bored being sent from one town to another back and forth doing mind numbing boring tasks and the limit of 20 quests at any one time is a drag.

The death system- I often have no interest to run back to a point if I die, I resurect at the grave yard, pay to have my items restored (I have heaps of cash) go make a cup of coffee until my resurection sickness wears off and then potter off to do something else, running back to your corpse is boring ... and since resurection is easy and relativly pain free I die and could not care less, there seems little penalty.

Now don't get me wrong some of the things in the game I like
the graphics are nice
the fact that there are "things" underwater - the nessy monster in the Loch gave me a giggle.
the pets are well implemented
some of the spells systems are clever
I was amused by fishing for awhile
I liked seeing WoW charaters, places and things brought to full 3D life.

anyhow - not going to subscribe - if anything the game is too easy and back to the original point - I'm bored.

Comments

• Access_DeniedAccess_Denied tennessee
    edited December 2004
    so go get freelancer and join my server! :P
  • tcithtcith Sydney, Australia Member
    edited December 2004
    I use to plce freelancer - hmm might give it another go some time - been awhile since I played
  • Access_DeniedAccess_Denied tennessee
    edited December 2004
    PM or Email me for the details on my server.. rotten_eyeball at hotmail dot com. if anyone wants to play.. i have several mods including 3 total conversion mods also.. they can be found at http://www.lancersreactor.com/
    i am working on a mod myself but its going slow.. this stuff is HARD.. lol
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    Play Neverwinter Nights on the Persistant World Server Avlis, very good.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    Sounds sort of like Final Fantasy XI.

There needs to be some kind of revolution in the questing goals for MMORPGS.

"Go from point a to point b. Find this person. Give them this. Come back"

"Go find this creature. Kill it. Bring back its widget"

"Go find Floomibooble. Capture him and bring him back for justice"

What else is there?
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    yea i dont know yet. I might but might not. te graphics are nice but i just cant seem to get into it. I really liked guild wars ( i was in the beta ) just sucked me in big time
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited December 2004
    You can examine another person and see what they have on.

And my god you play a freakin lot. Thats a lot of leveling done already.
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    Ya, that's a crazy amount of play in a short time. I agree with some of your points but am not surprised you are bored with it. I have 3 toons myself: 26 Warrior, 24 Priest, 22 Hunter - and I thought I had been playing a lot ;D And money is fairly hard to come by, tho I have been using a) all the leather from the skinning skills of all 3 toons to send to the warrior ($$ costs to mail) to raise his leatherworking and b) a ton of green weps and armours to the priest to disenchant for enchanting supplies, thus again bypassing a lot of potential $$ from resale to vendors or thru the auction house.
  • tcithtcith Sydney, Australia Member
    edited December 2004
    That's the point I don;t play alot and found it too easy to level

The crafting I find a bit dull too - and you succeed 100% so it's also no risk

I never been short of money - linen is my staple - my warlock is a tailor churns out 12 slot bags, they are the corner stone of my money empire.
    He is also an enchanter and gets my other toons items to disenchant.

I find I have more supplies of essence and dust that I sell the excess again for a fair bit of cash.

whenever I am short of stuff I go humanoid hunting for linen - I find human bandits drop the best raw materials for working
    Hunter is a leatherworker - I get enough skins from the others to keep him up to his ears in leather that I then enchant and either sell or use

so cash is no problem - wish they would fix high level fishing as I'd be able to rake it in on that.

oh well gues it's just not a game for me - think it helps being on a low population server too the economy is not flooded with bag sellers

Oh and I feel the warlock is overpowered - he can solo much easier than the other toons, often taking out mobs amore than a couple of levels higer than him - his summons demons are much easier to use and care for then the pets - food is becoming an issue with the pets
  • SquillSquill Chesterfield, Va
    edited December 2004
    Play EQ2 man! I've just finished with the free month and only like 4-5 days into my 2nd month and I'm only a level 19 Crusader. So this game does make you feel like you achieved something. :D

Also crafting in this game is so addicting, I'm going to be a jewelery crafter and it's so much fun. There are 4 levels of quality.

1-Crude "item name"
    2-shaped "item name"
    3- "item name"
    4- Pristine "item name"

I'm a level 9 crafter and I've only made 1 shaped ring. Made tons of Crude so it's fun when you finally make something better because it feels like you achieved something.