xbox on a farm?

robbyrobby Olympia, WA New
edited January 2005 in Folding@Home
I have this old xbox mobo and was thinking of putting a harddrive with FAH on it. Think this would work? I mean, if I do all the installation on another comp then just attach the harddrive to the xbox, it should, right? :scratch:

Comments

• entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited December 2004
    Well, the only way you could do it is if you run Linux on it. Even then, you'd have to copy the FAH stuff over the network, and then futz with it from the Linux console. So you'd be running through Linux, which I *think* needs emulation software of some sort to run on Xbox? Also, that thing is damn slow, lol, it'd hardly do anything. An AMD K6-2 took a month and a half or more to finish one WU....
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    It's a 700MHz Pentium III/Celeron hybrid; it'd be a respectable producer. It doesn't require emulation (As it is, afterall, x86), but it's tricky to get linux on the xbox.
  • robbyrobby Olympia, WA New
    edited December 2004
    if it matters, I'm not going to be using the xbox HD. What version of linux should I use? I really want to try this if for nothing other than the experiment.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited December 2004
    First find out how to install Linux. If you can go that then you can fold.
  • beatzbeatz i am a hamburger Member
    edited December 2004
    Hi!

A simple google for "install linux on xbox", came up with some stuff.

First link: www.xbox-linux.org

Unfortunately some of the articles are down at the moment due to the santy worm.

Have fun with it and let us know how it goes :D .

Michael
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    I may not be able to help you with your actual problem, but I CAN tell you how weird it is to see you for sale ;D

Look at the google ads on this page:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2004
    Giusi-gurL is likely clicking frantically on that link right now. :vimp:
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    profdlp wrote:
    Giusi-gurL is likely clicking frantically on that link right now. :vimp:

or she's finally had enough and is selling him cheap :d
  • Giusi-gurLGiusi-gurL Toronto, Ontario
    edited December 2004
    MY robby is NOT for sale!!

ever
    :shakehead
    edited December 2004
    wow, that was a strange conversation for me to read. lol. ;D If I was for sale, it would be in the deal depot, not ebay. Perhaps a swap for the 1337 proc? ;D
  • Giusi-gurLGiusi-gurL Toronto, Ontario
    edited December 2004
    robby wrote:
    wow, that was a strange conversation for me to read. lol. ;D If I was for sale, it would be in the deal depot, not ebay. Perhaps a swap for the 1337 proc? ;D

pffft.. there is no "if i was for sale" robby...
    grrrieeess... :nudge:

not_for_sale.jpgnot_for_sale.jpgnot_for_sale.jpg
    edited December 2004
    Back on topic, thanks for the help beatz, and for not giving me a hard time about not googling it myself, lol. :banghead: I'll keep everybody posted as the project continues.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    entropy wrote:
    Well, the only way you could do it is if you run Linux on it. Even then, you'd have to copy the FAH stuff over the network, and then futz with it from the Linux console. So you'd be running through Linux, which I *think* needs emulation software of some sort to run on Xbox? Also, that thing is damn slow, lol, it'd hardly do anything. An AMD K6-2 took a month and a half or more to finish one WU....

UM, USB to NIC adaptor possible???? Given Linux present???? Then shared web access, since Linux can use some of those adaptors????
    edited December 2004
    from what I have read, if I replace the harddrive and the dvdrom,(done), as well as two small solders, I can install from cd. I'll let you guys know if it works.

*edit* found a Linux distribution called Debian for the Xbox, anyone know anything about this?
  • beatzbeatz i am a hamburger Member
    edited January 2005
    Hi again!

Debian is one of the major linux distributions. Debian for Xbox (Xebian) is just a modified version. The Knoppix-Live-CD Linux is also based on Debian. You can get a copy of that for free for you PC and boot it from the CD, just to play with. It might look a little like Xebian ; ).

So long,
    Michael