Gameboy Advance Broken?

KyleKyle Lafayette, LA New
edited January 2005 in Gaming
Ok so this may not be the best forum on the internet to present my problem, but it's the biggest forum I know of (that actually has an intelligent population). If any of you know of a good Gameboy Advance forum (one comprised of enthusiasts, not 12yr olds) pleeeaaase let me know.

My little sister's Gameboy Advance SP was left out in the rain for a day or so. I removed the game, the battery cover and the battery and allowed a couple days for it to dry. With the battery back in and a different game in the GBA, I powered it on. The Power LED blinks red once and nothing else happens. With the AC Adapter connected, the Charging LED stays orange, but when turned on, the Power LED blinks once and the screen flashes real quick but then stays black.

Is there any hope?

All help is appreciated.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    It's very likely that the water hasn't evaporated from the casing; those things are made very tightly, don't get very warm, and tend to stay damp for a very long time.

My suggestion is to completely disassemble the unit (You'll probably need some torx head screwdrivers), wipe everything down with a soft cotton rag, make sure -everything- is dry, clean all the contacts with rubbing alcohol, and reassemble it.

It's about the most you can hope for.
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    Thrax wrote:
    It's very likely that the water hasn't evaporated from the casing; those things are made very tightly, don't get very warm, and tend to stay damp for a very long time.

My suggestion is to completely disassemble the unit (You'll probably need some torx head screwdrivers), wipe everything down with a soft cotton rag, make sure -everything- is dry, clean all the contacts with rubbing alcohol, and reassemble it.

It's about the most you can hope for.

Ouch, I tried this on my 6-year-old TI-83 a few months ago after it weathered some rain from inside my backpack - pretty heavy storm but not terribly long. Unfortunately despite my best effort approximately via the methods you've described, it was shot.

So it's certainly worth a try to clean the GBA as long as the screwdrivers are pretty cheap, but (depending on the exposure to rain) I'd say its chances are not high. Warranty wouldn't cover this, would it?
    edited December 2004
    Warranty wouldn't cover it as the malfunction is, unfortunately, related to user error. :( Though that never stopped anyone from being, hmmmmm, creative?
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited December 2004
    EMT wrote:
    Ouch, I tried this on my 6-year-old TI-83 a few months ago after it weathered some rain from inside my backpack - pretty heavy storm but not terribly long. Unfortunately despite my best effort approximately via the methods you've described, it was shot.

So it's certainly worth a try to clean the GBA as long as the screwdrivers are pretty cheap, but (depending on the exposure to rain) I'd say its chances are not high. Warranty wouldn't cover this, would it?
    if its conmetic condition is good i would send it to nintendo they will probably rma it for you
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    When I got mine from EB I bought the $10 plan that allows me to return it for any reason whatsoever, and get a new one... I already did it once, just because the finish was starting to look a little dull... If you have to get a new one, I'd recomend that plan, cause a game console that sits in your pocket a lot is bound to get hurt.
  • KyleKyle Lafayette, LA New
    edited December 2004
    Thanks for the help. I ended up leaving it alone for a day, turned it on again and it worked fine. I guess I was too impatient :(
  • McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA New
    edited December 2004
    Yeah...a tip for when alot of electronics get wet.

Open them up...completely disassemble them....and put them in the freezer....any remaining water will freeze and you can chip it off.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    Ja, make sure to hit all of your solder points with an ice pick...
  • edited January 2005
    Or you could try and take it to a game store and trade it in :-) Unethical? Probably. If they notice it not working, just tell them the battery isn't charged :-)
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    McBain wrote:
    Yeah...a tip for when alot of electronics get wet.

Open them up...completely disassemble them....and put them in the freezer....any remaining water will freeze and you can chip it off.

Screw that, it takes too long. Put it in the oven and make it evaporate!!! Better yet, use the microwave, that always dries things out!! ;D
    edited January 2005
    And you call yourself an electrical engineer! :wtf: