speaker sytem with optical input

MadballMadball Fort Benton, MT
edited December 2004 in Hardware
Are there any speaker setups with optical inputs. I'm looking for some new speakers and would like to utilize the optical out on my nf7.

Comments

• EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    No. The pre-amp is the component that might come with optical input. Pre-amps send a processed line-level signal to the amplifier, which increases the current/voltage to drive speakers. As a side note, the purpose of an optical connection is to make the signal from the computer digital. That way you can invest in a quality DAC (digital to analog converter) in the pre-amp rather than the sound card...

Anyway, the essence of your answer is that you need a system that can handle optical, rather than just speakers. The speakers themselves have absolutely nothing to do with an optical signal. You might get it all in a set, though.
  • MadballMadball Fort Benton, MT
    edited December 2004
    i know speakers themselves can't handle a digital connection, what I was wondering is if there are any speaker systems (like the Klipsch ProMedia ultra 5.1) with a built in decoder for the optical output.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited December 2004
    Logitech Z-5500's :thumbsup:

I'm currently contriving ways to get these. If I can sell my current stereos, I ought to be able to do it.
  • MadballMadball Fort Benton, MT
    edited December 2004
    damn, Newegg is out of those
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited December 2004
    Lol, Newegg is out of everything ;D

Wait a few weeks, things should be in stock, I would guess. I think Amazon has a good price on them, too.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    Christmas jackslapped the <i>****</i> out of Newegg's stocks. ;D
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    Madball wrote:
    i know speakers themselves can't handle a digital connection, what I was wondering is if there are any speaker systems (like the Klipsch ProMedia ultra 5.1) with a built in decoder for the optical output.

Sorry... I've been dealing with a DIY amplifier all day :thumbsup: