Cooling my processor

edited February 2005 in Hardware
What would you guys reccomend for cooling my processor better.

Right now I'm running an Intel 3.0 ghz p4 w/ 800 mhz fsb.

Just curious if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks,

djstubbs

Comments

• edited January 2005
    A Thermalright XP90 or XP120 should cool it down fine with the corresponding size fan to fit either of those heatsinks. Also, the Thermalright SLK947-U or SLK948-U will do an admirable job with an 80mm or 92mm fan if you can find them.
  • edited January 2005
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-109-118&depa=0

xp120 ^

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-109-119&depa=0

xp90 ^

now my only question is will this work on my 3.0 ghz p4 because it shows that it only works with 3.2 and above but in the reviews section it shows people that have 3.0 p4s.

also:

if those work, which do you think would work better in my case?

DSCN0471.jpg

and yes my fan and heatsink have been cleaned twice since that picture. :thumbsup:
  • edited January 2005
    DJ, I just checked at Thermalright's website and they haven't come across any mobo's that aren't compatible with the XP90, either socket 478 or LGA775. I'm guessing that you have a socket 478 board, so you should be good to go with an XP90; the LGA775 boards need an adapter bracket to mount the XP90 though and you have to order that separately from the heatsink. BTW, if a heatsink is rated higher than your processor's speed that's no problem; it just gives you that much extra margin of cooling. The XP90 and XP120 were designed to deal with Prescott's thermal output so if you have either a Prescott or Northwood proc, you are covered for cooling.

Also, I would recommend this Thermaltake 90mm BLUE LED Fan for your heatsink. I chose this fan not because it has the blue led's in it but because it has various ways to control fan speed (and noise). It can be wired to run full speed or it can be wired to run off of an included remote thermistor conrolling fan speed or it can also be controlled by using an included manual fan speed controller. This is a 90mm version of the SmartFan2 that has led's in it. Personally, I use the manual fan speed controller on my Smartfans but other folks like to use the thermistor(to each their own).
  • edited January 2005
    alrighty, thanks for the info, can't wait to order and get everything installed.
  • edited February 2005
    The case is not bad
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    Nice clean cable management in there. I can't wait to see your follow-up photo with the Thermalright installed! :thumbsup:
  • edited February 2005
    I'd post a picture now but I haven't even got it installed yet, nor can I find my digital camera. :D

I'll post some pics when I get everything installed though.

;)