Forum doesn't save password

EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
edited February 2005 in Community
Well it doesn't. The password in question is the one i use to
just saves the name not the password. I even removed sm from
the saved passwords list and then reentered them but only the
name is saved. I've checked the remember me button.

What's wrong. My browser or the forum.

Edit
Oh and one other thing. Why doesn't threads from feedback appear in the new threads list?

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    We purposefully only have tech forums on the hot thread list. The Pub, News, S/V/T, Feedback, and Milestone forums are all not included on that list.

Are you saying that your browser won't remember your SM password, or that it won't leave you logged in? Assuming it's the latter, do you have cookies enabled? Staying logged in depends on the site being able to set cookies to remember your username, etc.
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited January 2005
    We purposefully only have tech forums on the hot thread list. The Pub, News, S/V/T, Feedback, and Milestone forums are all not included on that list.

ok i see :cool:

Anyway the password is the one i enter in the login area at top right so it's the former. I have not logged out since i last typed and haven't been logged out either.

I have cookies enabled and btw i'm using firefox. I forgot to say that. The name field gets filled in but not the password one. No other site is giving that kind of trouble and i do use that feature alot hence why i belive it to be the forums not browser. Happy to be proven wrong though as long as my problem is solved :thumbsup:
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    OH!!!

Here's what's up:

This is a standard vbulletin thing, so it will happen other places also, BUT when you click on the logout button on this site or forum, then you get your login cookie altered and PW gets lost (that is so in order that folks who need password wiped from a public computer when they leave site or forum can get that ability). SO, you get to retype it next time you login. That button MIGHT be better labeled the CLEAR LOGIN COOKIE button, but the folks who wrote the softwre called it the Logout button.

Leaving the site code thinking you are logged in is ok, server knows to stop sending stuff to your "login" until you next "reappear"-- so unless you cannot get authenticated that way, do not bother "logging out." OK???
    edited January 2005
    He's referring to the browser's ability to store his password for that form, not logging out or cookies. Hence, even if he did log out, he should be able to log back in without retyping his password.

I'm not sure what the situation with that is, mate. Maybe an admin or someone else knows... :-/
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    try:

tools -> options -> privacy -> saved passwords -> view saved passwords -> passwords never saved

and see if short-media is on the list.
    edited January 2005
    shwaip wrote:
    try:

tools -> options -> privacy -> saved passwords -> view saved passwords -> passwords never saved

and see if short-media is on the list.

Only paypal is on that list. :( Good idea though.
    edited January 2005
    He's referring to the browser's ability to store his password for that form, not logging out or cookies. Hence, even if he did log out, he should be able to log back in without retyping his password.

I'm not sure what the situation with that is, mate. Maybe an admin or someone else knows... :-/

Excactly. Let's hope an admin knows. Even though i'm using sessionsaver i stall had to log in again. :mad:

BTW i've told ff to clear cookies when it's closed. Could that be the problem? :confused:
    edited January 2005
    Clearing cookies would just delete the record of your being logged in so you'd have to sign in again. Saving passwords is a function of the browser, not cookies or the forum software.
    edited January 2005
    Like i suspected.
    edited January 2005
    BUMP :wave:

So what's causing this and how can i fix it. Having to cut and paste the password every time i wanna log in is making me avoid logging in. That means not visiting sm and that's not good.
    edited January 2005
    Why don't you just leave yourself logged in?
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    Clearing your short-media cookies has no effect on your password saving by the browser.

The short-media cookies contain an hashed version of your password NOT the plaintext version your browser would save. Therefore, it's YOUR browser that is causing the issue.

Reinstall/repair your browser. Potentially you have hit the "never save my password for this site" in FireFox during a visit here (which I believe is your browser). That will tell FF never to save a plaintext version of your password.

Your browser is the issue here not Short-Media forums. :thumbsup:
    edited February 2005
    Why don't you just leave yourself logged in?

I sometimes turn off ff and then i get logged out, though that hasn't happend in a while. Perhaps my problem is gone. I'll check.
    edited February 2005
    Shorty wrote:
    Clearing your short-media cookies has no effect on your password saving by the browser.

The short-media cookies contain an hashed version of your password NOT the plaintext version your browser would save. Therefore, it's YOUR browser that is causing the issue.
    Shorty wrote:
    Reinstall/repair your browser. Potentially you have hit the "never save my password for this site" in FireFox during a visit here (which I believe is your browser). That will tell FF never to save a plaintext version of your password.

I'll try a repair install if possible but why does it work for every other site except sm, that's what i can't figure out.
    Shorty wrote:
    Your browser is the issue here not Short-Media forums. :thumbsup:

Comming from you i'm not sure i trust that info. ;):D
    edited February 2005
    For some reason after my latest reboot i was able to access the forums without trouble. This could be because of sessionsaver, a really nice ff plugin that remembers what tabs were open and reopens them. Strangly enough sessionsaver isn't supposed to work with the latest release of ff but it does. Oh well i don't care. Let's hope my problems stay away.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    EyesOnly wrote:
    Comming from you i'm not sure i trust that info. ;):D
    Considering I installed this software(VBulletin), understand the language it is written in to a professional level of profiency (I get paid to write PHP as part of my job), also wrote and integrated an entire CMS into it... you should trust that info :rolleyes:
    edited February 2005
    Shorty wrote:
    Considering I installed this software(VBulletin), understand the language it is written in to a professional level of profiency (I get paid to write PHP as part of my job), also wrote and integrated an entire CMS into it... you should trust that info :rolleyes:

Even so that only proofs my point, you're biased. :D

Anyways my problems have gone away. :celebrate:
    Since my last post i've rebooted several times and everytime i've started ff it's logged me in here without trouble. :) Now if only my other problems (weird beeps, ie not allowing popups) could be solved i'd be thrilled. :thumbsup: