"The Shark" Gets Retired.

ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
edited January 2005 in Hardware
This was my first ever case mod project. A cheap generic case, probably an AOpen. I was proud of it when done, a TON of time went into it. The paint job's seen better days but when I was first finished it gleamed like a clean mirror. Must be 4-5 coats of black there, hand rubbed with finishing compound and then waxed with car wax. The shark's teeth were the worst part to finish nicely, I must have repainted that area 3 times at least.

The orange in the interior isn't quite as bright or phosphorescent (sp?) as I wanted but was the best I could find at the time. And the matte finish makes it so that the doors are a VERY tight fit so it's hard to work on - I've had to use a screwdriver as a wedge/lever on several occasions to get a side door off.

For over a year now, it's been the enclosure for my kids' computer, relegated to the basement. This past week, unknown to me, the fan in the PSU died and then the PSU overheated. Taking it apart today, there was an extreme amount of dust in the case so I'm not surprised the fan and PSU died, and am glad it didn't take anything else with it.

So off I went this afternoon, to shop for a PSU. I stopped at a couple of big chain electronics retailers but all they had was generics. I went to another shop that I'd been to before but they only had 450W and bigger Antec's in stock @ $100+, all I wanted was a 350W or so. But they would sell an Antec case including an Antec 350W PSU for $70 :rolleyes: So I bought it, it's an SLK1650B in black.

Given what a pain The Shark is to work on, I decided to install the guts into the Antec. It all went without a hitch, booted up the first time. 1700+ on a MSI nForce2 mobo, nothing special so the Antec gear is more than adequate. It even comes with a 120mm rear exhaust fan.

Anyways, here's a final portrait of the dusty, dirty old Shark. I'm not trying to sell it but if anyone wants it they can have it for the cost of shipping. Otherwise, it goes in the garbage.

RIP, Shark. I learned a lot of great things about paint and metal and computers putting you together.

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2005
    That is very cool, keto. :thumbsup:

I think I'd have a hard time pitching it, myself. I still have the case from my very first computer. It was an Acer P75 and it has made it through four moves now. I still have a P166 system in it. The computer is in use as an mp3 terminal in my bedroom.
  • edited January 2005
    That sucks. I woulda put the PSU into the shark case and kept the Antec as a spare.
  • BoneBone Canadia
    edited January 2005
    how much would shipping to canada be do you figure cause ill take it off your hands
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    I'm in Edmonton. Probably around $20-25 CDN.