ATI AIW Radeon 9800 Cold Boot Problems

edited March 2005 in Hardware
Hi all!

I've spent way to many hours trying to solve my vid card problem without any success, so maybe someone here can lend a helping hand.

The Problem
On cold boots I am getting total video distortion of colored vertical lines. Sometimes also small colored blocks also randomly in the vertical lines. (see attached image for example)

This only really happens on cold boots. If let my system stay up for 5 minutes or so and do a reboot the problem is solved. I've had the card for about 18 months and it just started doing this within the last 2-3 months but it is getting worse lately.

My System
Mobo: ASUS A7N8X
Proc: AMD Athlon XP 2800+
Mem: (2) 512 DIMMs
Video: ATI AIW 9800 Pro
Sound: Audigy 2
PSU: Antec 430w

My Attempted Solutions (all with no difference)
Removed and Updated Video Drivers (multiple times with dif versions)
Updated Bios
Updated Chipset
Updated Sound Card Drivers
Changed Monitor
Checked PSU Voltages (seem all stable and within norms)
Booted up with power only running to MB, (1) HD and Vid Card
Even RMA'd it to ATI and the new one they sent back does the same thing!!!

Additional Info that may be helpful
Swapped it out and put in an old nVidia Ti 4600 and that works just fine.
The problem child card works fine in a friends PC.

I'm at my wits end!! Anyone have any suggestions for what I should try next?? OR why this might be occurring?

Thanks in advance.....

Comments

• edited February 2005
    Hello...Hey I have the same problems with my "NEW" AIW 9800Pro,but mine is brand new I just bought it...I even returned the 1st one ,adviced by Ati,that might have been bad...NO..I even put a new 6600 Nvidia and on the Nvidia I have no lines what so ever..But the Nvidia is not mine ..
    All of my games are messed up with weird white lines...some people said to change the Bios (asus told me and Ati)...I have not done that yet ,because I don't know how to do it exactly ,but some others said is my Monitor....but after reading this message I am not sure Help me if U have the answer.
    My Email is rsedano@rgv.rr.com
    Attempts:
    Reformated my drive twice...re-install the drives many times...I even used Driver Cleaner 3....

My specs are:

Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard
    Ati All In Wonder 9800Pro 128
    1 Gig of Ram
    Antec Tower case with 450w PSU
    onboard sound card chip set by Nvidia Nforce2
    WindowsXP with SP1/SP2.
    Please let me know if U have the answer by now yet ,because I cannot play my fav's games like Counter Strike Source etc...
    Thanks a lot ! =)
    19 Inch Mitsubishi Monitor
  • edited March 2005
    well lets make this a club, I also have an ATI radeon 9800 pro AIW that is doing almost exactly what yours is doing(original poster, though mine works fine for desktop, just does that in games). I have now RMAed my card twice to ATI under their advice and both times i get the card back and its not working. Ill post my specs so maybe we can find a common link.

P4 3.0ghz
    Asus P4P8X (we all have ASUS, that looks a little fishy)
    1gb of pc-3200 ram
    Vantec 500w PSU
    ATI Radeon 9800 pro AIW
    Windows Xp pro (SP2)
    Sound Blaster Live!

P.S. by looking at our specs, we all have an ASUS motherboard, this looks like it could be the culprit, maybe not but just an idea!
  • edited March 2005
    Ok now this is weird, I also have an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe and an ATI 9800 Pro AIW and I too am getting those weird lines and I have no Idea Why????
    It happens in the middle of games namely Black Hawk Down and the other day I was on the net and it did it it was identical to the screen shot in this forum
    I have tried everything that all of you mentioned and now after a few years of loyal service to ASUS im gonna replace it with a GIGABYTE board.
    I hope it is the board as I got it on Ebay 3 years ago and it has been great untill I put a 8x G/card in it namely an ATI 9700 Pro and 9800 Pro AIW,
    maybe its just a conflict with ATI cards and as the Card is triple the price of the board I think its time to upgrade the board. Its a shame as Im sure you all love the ASUS board too I know I did. Another thing I noticed is when I turn on the PC from cold I get a bad horizontal problem like when you mess with the H hold on an old tv so from cold boot I cant use the bios or see the post but its sorts itself out when windows appears. I thought it was my monitor heating up but I left the monitor off untill I was sure windows was loaded and switched it on and the Desktop appeared with no problems.
    It could all be a memory issue as I have heard that these boards are very choosey about what memory they will run. I havent had any problems before running the RAM i use untill I put in the ATI 8x (was running a 8500 64Mb before with no probs at all) If any of you have solved this issue I'd be very gratefull you would post the solution on here before I go ahead and change the board. Here are my Specs if it helps.

Windows XP Pro SP1
    A7N8X Deluxe Rev 2.0 Bos 1008
    ATI 9800 Pro AIW 128Mb
    Athlon XP2500+
    512Mb Elixir DDR400
    512Mb Kingston Value Ram DDR 400
    20GB Maxtor ATA 133
    40GB Samsung ATA 100
    120GB Maxtor SATA
    LG DVD RAM/RW-+
    Temps --- 37C for CPU diode Idle and 42C under Load
  • edited March 2005
    Add me to the list. My verticle lines arent as severe as pictured. Its 5 approximately one inch wide bars that go from the top of the screen to the bottom. If it let it heat up and reboot it goes away. Computer can be on for days straight and it never resurfaces. Never malfunctions during any game. The TV tuner however, could only run for about 15 minutes before it locked up the whole system and shut off the monitor, before I uninstalled the All in Wonder stuff. I havent tried re-installing it.

Asus p4c800E deluxe
    P4 2.8 w/ HT
    1 gig corsair ram
    XP SP2
    Antec True Blue 430W ps

Ive tried various drivers versions too, both with the AIW control panel and without. System works fine without the card. Frustrating as heck... Anyone has any ideas, please share them.
  • edited March 2005
    Well I was having even more problems like the SATA drive i have was acting up clicking and such so i updated the BIOS to the Trats 1008mod3_2T and then did a fresh install of windowsXP Pro and played the game i was playing with no weird lines or lockups. But i really dont know if i fixed it as i dont really know what caused it in the first place.
    Im through trying to figure it out so I ordered a DFI Lanparty Ultra B motherboard and when I get setup im going to run some tests and if i get the same problem then i will know it wasnt the motherboard.
    i think from looking at the post that these ATI 9800's are coming with substandard memory or they will conflict with certain system memory
    and i know the ASUS boards are very choosy about which RAM they will run but after read Your post Young Hippie you have excellent RAM which ASUS recomend i think so it may just be a conflict between ASUS's AGP 8x slot and the ATI 9800's which really sux.
    I will keep you all upto date if I expirience any changes as i hope you all will too.

PS i dont use the recomended control panel for the ATI 9800 ya know the one with the car graphics test thing i just use the all in one Radeon drivers
    and seperate mutimedia drivers for the AIW all ATI btw. but i cant see any of our problems being a driver issue im leaning toward hardware conflict.