Transporting computer safely

EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
edited February 2005 in Hardware
Well i'm moving on february 15 and are wondering how to safely move it. I know that the best thing to do would be to remove the heatsink (especially since mine weight about 800 gr. Well i'm lazy and don't feel like doing so. My plan is to move the case with everything in it in it's original package.

I still have the box it came in. I use it to store the boxes for internal components. BTW my case is an antec sonata. The heatsink is an zalman CNPS 7000A-cu so you can see my consern. Anyways the box with case in it will be layed down on its side with the left side upwards. Would this work if care was taken not to bump the box to much or should i just remove the hs.

The main reason i don't want to remove the hs is because when i installed the fancontroller i had to lengthen several cables in some ghetto, warranty breaking ways so removing to hs could be quite difficult.

Comments

• BoneBone Canadia
    edited January 2005
    ummmm i would just take psu out and lay case on its side.... and take it with u in back of car or trunk or something. ive done it many times and its will eb fine as long as you dont get in a car crash.... never let moving companys handle computers is my opinion they tend to throw things x:
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited January 2005
    ship it UPS
    ;D
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    I think you should be fine, as long as you avoid jostling as much as possible. Avoid bumps in the road too!
  • edited January 2005
    However you ship it, ship it without the heatsink mounted to the motherboard. Just about every computer I've seen shipped through the mail (or mail-like company) the heatsink ends up ripping itself from the motherboard and bouncing around inside the case, mashing everything up nicely.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited January 2005
    a thru-mount heatsink design shouldn't do that though... at least i wouldn't think it would
  • edited January 2005
    I've transported mine with the left side up several times and left the HSF attached and never had a problem. As long as you're moving it yourself and take care not to drop anything on it or drop it itself (hsf suddenly transposing 800g of inertia onto the core = bad) you should be in good shape.

It's your call and what makes you comfortable is how you should proceed.
  • edited January 2005
    If ya still got the original case box with the styrofoam and plastic cover intact, I'd put the whole thing in there and make sure it doesn't move. I do that when I lug my PC around for LAN parties.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited January 2005
    Put it in the seat of your car and your fine. Shipping it in any form is evil. I cart computers around all the time in my car though. And I have 5 of those heatsinks on my opterons/amd 64's.

If your using it on a clip on socket just carefully check the heatsink when you arrive and when you boot go into the bios first thing and check temps.
    Tex
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited January 2005
    Where to begin. Well UPS is out of the question. :mean: There wont be any moving company, it'll be handled privatly. The heatsink is mounted thru the board, the only way possible i think. Thw box has styro and all left so it should provide good protection against minor bumps.
    Bone wrote:
    ummmm i would just take psu out and lay case on its side.... and take it with u in back of car or trunk or something. ive done it many times and its will eb fine as long as you dont get in a car crash.... never let moving companys handle computers is my opinion they tend to throw things x:

Why should i remove the psu? How could that affect anything?
    edited January 2005
    unplug the cables and go sit it in your front seat of the car.

Try not to spill beer on it while in transit. Carry it back inside and plug it in. Your making this way harder then it has to be unless you have no vehicle and are not planning to drive your own car.

Just carefully sit it in the car and take off. Repeat operation in reverse when unloading.

Tex
    edited February 2005
    Tex wrote:
    unplug the cables and go sit it in your front seat of the car.

Try not to spill beer on it while in transit. Carry it back inside and plug it in. Your making this way harder then it has to be unless you have no vehicle and are not planning to drive your own car.

Just carefully sit it in the car and take off. Repeat operation in reverse when unloading.

Tex

You're right i'm prolly worrying to much. The trunk idea mentioned earlier sounds better though since i wanna lay it down. Thanks for the input guys. :thumbsup:

BTW beer in transit. :eek: :o :D

Me no drink the stuff and let's hope no one else does while driving. :(
    edited February 2005
    Trunk works but after YEARS of almost daily transport of computers I really prefer the floorboard of the front or back seat.

Tex
    edited February 2005
    Tex wrote:
    Trunk works but after YEARS of almost daily transport of computers I really prefer the floorboard of the front or back seat.

Tex

I'll try moving while keeping it in my lap. Tuesday is the day but i'll prolly not be able to get online then. I'll let you know how it went as soon as i can.
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited February 2005
    I agree with Tex, just don't let your wife/girlfriend watch them while you go back into the house to get that one last thing.......When I did that, I came out to find my back-up machine on it's side, bent, in the driveway with her saying," It just kind of jumped out of the truck...." :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

Flint
    edited February 2005
    I hate jumping jack cases Flinstone. Like mexican jumping beans. One minute they are perfectly still and the next they are just hopping down the stairs trying to leave the house. Your lucky you caught that one while it was still in the county.

Try duck tapping several very large bricks to the case when unattended.

Tex
  • BoneBone Canadia
    edited February 2005
    onkly reason i said take psu out is if ur worried on mine the psu is over cpu and like sucks air away from it... and like if that ever broke like the bolts or **** form hitting a bump its gonna crack ur mobo in half...
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    I get the feeling you may have had something important to say, but for the life of me I can't seem to decipher it.