A good C++ book for beginners.

FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
edited September 2003 in Internet & Media
:wave:
Right now I am a computer/network tech for a huge corporation, and have had tons of other similar jobs in the past. and to be honest I am starting to get very boered of fixing everybodys friggin tech problems. :banghead: :aol:

I am looking to broaden my horizons.

So I would like to look into proging and maybe learn some coding on my own. I currently have no coding experience aside from some basic html.

I think C++ would be about the best option for me because that seems to be the most common in the gaming industry and I am an uber gamer that wouldn't at all mind working in the industry some day.

Anyway I am just wondering if any of the Short-Media members have any good ideas as far as where to start. Is there a good book to read? is there a good application to try?

Thanks in advance

Any input would be greatly apreciated.
:wave:

Comments

• edited August 2003
    "Learn C++ in 21 Days" was a good book for me, found it at my local library. The problem was finding a linker and compiler app.

What corp do you work for? They have any job openings in your field? :D
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited August 2003
    WROX has good books and so does Sam's.

As for a linker, you can go to www.bloodshed.net and get Dev-C++ (the v5 betas which are in the 4.9x range). Be sure to get the full version as it comes with MinGW, GDB, IDE, etc. Considering it is free, it's very nice. Ironically, it's not written in C++ but in Delphi. :D
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Visual Quickstart Guides are available for just about anything (including C++) and are definitely my top recommendation :)
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    I like the Deitel & Deitel "C++: How To Program" book... we used it for a few classes in college. Good enough that I kept it, anyway!
  • edited September 2003
    i agree with thesmj. learn c++ in 21 days (by sam's publishing) is the best C++ book on the market, hands down.
    edited September 2003
    Whatever book he gets, he just needs to make sure he's careful with pointers. Any half-way decent book will tell you to be careful with them. Do not use them unless you truly know what you're doing.

Know what you're doing? Ask yourself if pointers are a benefit; if so, then use them. If they're not, then don't.
  • reelbigfishreelbigfish Boston, MA Member
    edited September 2003
    my personal favorite is Accelerated C++. It's very good and has good examples of what you are doing. It was written by Andrew Koeing and Barbara E. Moo. It is part of the Bjarne Stroustrup C++ in-depth series. He was the one who came up with C++. If you have problems, don't hesitate to ask. I'm sure some people will know something.
  • TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited September 2003
    I suggest you start with C first. I tried starting C++ first and when I went and looked at a C book, I realized I shoulda started there first. I think you'll find C++ easier if you take a week or two of studying to learn C (at least a little bit. You don't need to master it. I don't think it's used much anymore).

I delved into programming a little bit. I'll have to get back into it eventually since I'm going for security.
    edited September 2003
    I started with C first because I figured I would "learn the basics" first, but once I learned C++ I don't believe that to be the case. C and C++ are very similar but also very different. If you only plan on using C++, it might be easier to not learn C first because you might get the "C-way" stuck in your head.
    Templar said
    I suggest you start with C first. I tried starting C++ first and when I went and looked at a C book, I realized I shoulda started there first. I think you'll find C++ easier if you take a week or two of studying to learn C (at least a little bit. You don't need to master it. I don't think it's used much anymore).

I delved into programming a little bit. I'll have to get back into it eventually since I'm going for security.
  • edited September 2003
    There's one called "C by example" (can't remember the author) that's good to start on. then get a beginner/intermediate c++ book. then get a beginner/intermediate java book and learn it too. might as well.