If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Icrontic Expo 2014: The gaming & general geekery event you don't want to miss. Read about what's new this year and then buy tickets here.

Do the British watch the Super Bowl?

FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
edited Oct 2008 in The Icrontic Pub
A friend and I recently got in an argument about weather or not our over seas friends in Europe watch the Super Bowl. (The American Football championship game)

Is the Super Bowl broadcast in Europe?

Thanks in advance for any replys!

If so who do you root for? If its New England, who would be your second choice?

Comments

• floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich
    edited Feb 2005
    What's the super-bowl? :confused:

Don't listen to me, I don't watch any sport at all ;)

I wouldn't be surprised if it was on Sky Sports.

And I ain't no European, I'm an Englisman/Brit/Limey/opinionated cockney git :D
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK
    edited Feb 2005
    Yes it was broadcast live on ITV.

As to how many watched it well thats another matter, American Football is broadcast very late on telly and then it's usually just highlights. It's very much a minority sport.
  • edited Feb 2005
    Isnt american football just a game of rugby for girls? :confused:

:p
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited Feb 2005
    Jello Biafra said:

American Football is GAWD!!!!! Of course I don't ever watch Professional Football, those guys are a bunch of babies. But I've done both rugby and Football, and while I don't actually know the rules of either too well, I enjoyed Football much more becuase trhe pads allowed you to punish each other alot harsher.
  • GargoyleGargoyle Illinois Icrontian
    edited Feb 2005
    Football is religion where I'm from. College football, that is. I didn't care about football at all until I started college, but after hearing the cheers from the stadium only a block away through the brick walls of the dorms, it's hard not to get swept up in it. :D

Still don't care much for pro. football though. I was a fan of the California teams when I lived there, but since I moved, they've sucked bigtime.
  • tophericetopherice Oak Ridge, TN
    edited Feb 2005
    Jello Biafra said:

OMFG...RUGBY is teh GAYEST game EVAR...Abunch of sweaty, burly, blokes rolling in pile groping each other...I've tried to watch a couple of time, but it looks like a GIANT Circle-Jerk.
    edited Feb 2005
    Important UK Government Announcement

NOTICE OF REVOCATION OF INDEPENDENCE

To the citizens of the United States of America:

In the light of your failure to elect a Competent President of the USA and thus to
    govern yourselves, we hereby give notice of the revocation of your
    independence, effective today. Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will
    resume monarchical duties over all states, commonwealths and other
    territories. Except Utah, which she does not fancy. Your new prime
    minister (the Rt Hon.Tony Blair, MP, for the 97.85% of you who have until
    now been unaware that there is a world outside your borders) will appoint a
    minister for America without the need for further elections. If you're lucky
    this will be Robin Cook who will continue to inform parliament of progress
    by sending weekly letters from America.
    Congress and the Senate will be disbanded. No-one knows or understands how
    they work anyway. A questionnaire will be circulated next year to determine
    whether any of you noticed.
    To aid in the transition to a British Crown Dependency, the following rules
    are introduced with immediate effect

1. You should look up "revocation" in the Oxford English Dictionary. Then
    look up "aluminium." Check the pronunciation guide. You will be amazed at
    just how wrongly you have been pronouncing it. Generally, you should raise
    your vocabulary to acceptable levels. Look up "vocabulary." Using the same
    twenty seven words interspersed with filler noises such as "like" and "you
    know" is an unacceptable and inefficient form of communication. Look up
    "interspersed". Webster will be made illegal. So will Funk and Wagnall;
    these names may offend public morality. The words "Cuba" and "Havana" will
    once again be permitted, but only under licence.

2. There is no such thing as "US English." We will let Microsoft know on
    your behalf. Microsoft will be merged with ICL thus avoiding all that
    expensive legal action designed to to overcome Microsoft's position of
    dominance as a leading software supplier. The merger of all ICL and
    Microsoft products will take place immediately; it won't take long given the
    apparent similarity of bugs.

3. You should learn to distinguish the English and Australian accents. It
    really isn't that hard.

4. Hollywood will be required occasionally to cast English actors as the
    good guys.

5. You should relearn your original national anthem, "God Save The Queen,"
    but only after fully carrying out task 1. We would not want you to get
    confused and give up half way through.

6. You should stop playing American "football." There is only one kind of
    football. What you refer to as American "football" is not a very good game.
    The 2.15% of you who are aware that there is a world outside your borders
    may have noticed that no-one else plays "American" football. You will no
    longer be allowed to play it, and should instead play proper football.
    Initially, it would be best if you played with the girls. It is a difficult
    game. Those of you brave enough will, in time, be allowed to play rugby
    (which is similar to American "football," but does not involve stopping for
    a rest every twenty seconds or wearing full kevlar body armour like
    nancies). We are hoping to get together at least a US rugby sevens side by

7. You should declare war on Quebec and France, using nuclear weapons if
    they give you any merde. The 98.85% of you who were not aware that there is
    a world outside your borders should count yourselves lucky. The Russians
    have never been the bad guys.

8. July 4th is no longer a public holiday. November 8th will be a new
    national holiday, but only in England. It will be called "Indecision Day".
    Henceforth turkey may be served on any day, not just on Thanksgiving.

9. All American cars are hereby banned. They are crap and it is for your own
    good. When we show you German cars, you will understand what we mean. All
    Ford cars with cruise control must immediately be handed in to your nearest
    branch of the Health and Safety Executive. Use a tow truck or you may get to
    the car pound sooner than you think.

10. Please tell us who killed JFK. It's been driving us crazy.

Thank you for your cooperation
  • tophericetopherice Oak Ridge, TN
    edited Feb 2005
    Ahhh!!!! Good Old British Imperialism at it's finest. Give it a rest already. You know the problem with the British is that all of you with any intelligence or value went out and conquered the rest of the world...in the name of the Queen...then never went back.

Just joking...I reckon this is turning out to be quite a humerous thread. Can't we all just get along. :usflag: :ukflag:
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited Feb 2005
    Jello Biafra said:

Quoted for truth!!!
    edited Feb 2005
    Shorty said:
    Quoted for truth!!!
    Oi - whose side you on? ;D

Hey, I like Americans, for the most part, but that American Football, bunch o girls who'd cry if they grazed their shins. Full body armour indeed.
    edited Feb 2005
    topherice said:
    Ahhh!!!! Good Old British Imperialism at it's finest.
    And here we see the American inability to not understand irony at it's finest ;)

That piece of prose is as much a dig at the Brits as it is at Americans.

I'll meet you at Boston for a nice cup of tea.... ;)
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited Feb 2005
    You brits don't know what you're talking about, plain and simple. Still can't get over the fact that we can out do you in everything :D

We even came up with a better sport, one you obviously cannot comprehend.... and it scares you. ;D
    edited Feb 2005
    RWB said:
    You brits don't know what you're talking about, plain and simple. Still can't get over the fact that we can out do you in everything :D
    Well, you be much better at crying than us, that's for sure. All sitting there in the cinema a boo-hoo-hooing at yet another over-sentimental Hollywood 'Blockbuster'.
    We even came up with a better sport, one you obviously cannot comprehend.... and it scares you. ;D
    Call that a sport? I refer you to the blue text above
    '(which is similar to American "football," but does not involve stopping for
    a rest every twenty seconds or wearing full kevlar body armour like
    nancies).'

Must admit, stupidest thing we ever done was let you lot have your independence, all them natural resources, all that money made from them, and what do you do? Invent a sport for girls and then make men play it :p

;)
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited Feb 2005
    BTW man you Didnt LET us have our Independance If you look at history we kicked ur ass for it not once but twice!
    edited Feb 2005
    Gnomewizardd said:
    BTW man you Didnt LET us have our Independance If you look at history we kicked ur ass for it not once but twice!
    You're right :bawling:

I can kid myself though, can't I? :D

Funny how things turn out in the end though, allies and all now...

When you think about it, it was probably a bunch of ex-Brits who had the complete pox with the UK Goverment's heavy handed and pompous ways at the time, said to themselves 'Stuff This' and struck out. Gaining Independence.

Can't say I blame them, to tell the truth I'd have probably done the same.

What does still amaze me is why Canada and Australia still fly the Union Jack... :confused:
    edited Feb 2005
    floppybootstomp said:
    You're right :bawling:

.................What does still amaze me is why Canada and Australia still fly the Union Jack... :confused:

Ah Sir Flopicus, allow me to enlighten you.....

The Canadians do it to p!ss off the French Canadians & the Aussies do it in a forlorn attempt to try and gain redemption/rehabilitation for being a bunch of convicts. ;D
  • tcithtcith Sydney, Australia
    edited Feb 2005
    Well The Super Bowl is not watched here in Australia either
    I am sure it's broadcast on one of the Fox/sports cable channels

I usually get the annual MPEG of the Adverts shown during it to have a chuckle.

We, like the Brits, Play Rugby - we have our own version of football, "Australian Rules" yet we do not assume anyone outside this country wants to play this version (In fact it's pretty much limited to the Southern States of Australia)

American Football was always a silly game - I have sat through some matches in the USA but got very bored
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited Feb 2005
    Football and Baseball are the sports of manly men, all those little sissie sport that are popular over in England (like SOCCER...THATS ITS NAME, no pansy sport like this would dare share the same name as the real football) are for lesser wimps and total nerds.

I've also noticed that a lot of brits are very quick to say something about Americans not knowing that there is a "world outside our borders", what makes you damn people so worldly? Lots of you go traveling a lot do ya????
  • mondimondi Icrontian
    edited Feb 2005
    topherice said:
    OMFG...RUGBY is teh GAYEST game EVAR...Abunch of sweaty, burly, blokes rolling in pile groping each other...I've tried to watch a couple of time, but it looks like a GIANT Circle-Jerk.
    1 - What you call 'soccer' is the only real football, you play it with your feet. "american football" you play with your hands, therefore it is not football.

2 - The picture below is all I need to say about gay games
    footballgay.JPG
    1 x 1 - 19K
  • XanderXander (See Avatar)
    edited Feb 2005
    All this jealousy of America stems from one thing:
    We have hills and mountains.

Oh and being one who played American football. The armor only softens the blows to your shoulders and Pectoral muscles. The pads on your legs really don't help all that much.

One more thing, I'd like to see a rugby guy get hit by a 6'8 300 pound gorilla running full speed at him. If he gets back up with no broken bones or serious injuries then I will take your insults and jabs.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited Feb 2005
    I dont care who you are, seeing Warren Sapp coming at you would be terrifying
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited Feb 2005
    floppybootstomp said:

6. You should stop playing American "football." There is only one kind of football. What you refer to as American "football" is not a very good game. The 2.15% of you who are aware that there is a world outside your borders may have noticed that no-one else plays "American" football.
    NFL Europe?? Hello??
  • tcithtcith Sydney, Australia
    edited Feb 2005
    Why is American football better?
    Why can't you just say it's different and be done with that, it's just a game and it's by far not the most popular game in the world

lets looks at the worlds most popular sports
    2002 statistics
    in order of popularity/registered players
    the number beside it is the number of registered affiliated associations for that sport.

Volleyball - 218
    Basketball - 211
    Table Tennis - 186
    Soccer - 204
    Badmington - 147
    Tennis - 191
    Baseball - 110
    Dragon Boat Racing - 51
    Team handball -147
    Hockey - 118
    Judo - 187
    Rugby - 97
    Cycling - 160
    bocce - 73
    Cricket - 74

The results are obviously skewed to the populations of asian countries where certain sports are more popular ...

American Football does not rate - it is a large spectator sport in the USA, but is not played by a large enough group of people, registered Baseball players outstrip is massively.

BTW the largest spectator sport watched is the Formula one racing.
    edited Feb 2005
    I don't know about other cities, but I was in Northern Spain a few years ago and they were pretty fired up about the Barcelona Dragons. So American Football is popular in some places outside of the US. But I agree that it's a different game and not necessarily better.

w00t for Dragon Boat Racing!!
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI
    edited Feb 2005
    CrazyJoe

indeed woot for dragon boat racing, i'm telling you guys, it's intense, good stuff there.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited Feb 2005
    Camman said:
    I've also noticed that a lot of brits are very quick to say something about Americans not knowing that there is a "world outside our borders", what makes you damn people so worldly? Lots of you go traveling a lot do ya????
    Seems so, yes. Apparently Americans are one of the least travelled people. If we want sun, mountains, skiing or whatever we have to go abroad. The USA is so vast you have all these things in the same country, you may travel as far but go abroad much less often because you don't need to. Alaska to Texas and everything in between. We have Scotland (Green and wet) to Cornwall (Green and damp)
    And I'm with floppy, I don't watch any sport at all either, not even all these 'crutial' football games that are on every other day.
    edited Feb 2005
    Xander said:

One more thing, I'd like to see a rugby guy get hit by a 6'8 300 pound gorilla running full speed at him. If he gets back up with no broken bones or serious injuries then I will take your insults and jabs.
    You've obviously never heard of the man mountain that is Jonah Lomu. ;D
    Johna Lomu.jpeg
    1 x 1 - 21K
    edited Feb 2005
    He's that hard he doesn't even have hair protection!
    edited Feb 2005
    Camman said:

As Bothered said yes we do, so much so that at one point we owned most of the known world. ;D

Also we've never really had isolationist foreign policies in our recent history unlike America; which in turn means we're never late when it comes to going to war unlike some other countries I could mention. :D
    edited Feb 2005
    Xander said:
    All this jealousy of America stems from one thing:
    We have hills and mountains.
    The only geographical feature our little island doesn't have is a desert. For which we are grateful :D And you never heard of Ben Nevis?

Jealousy? Y'all assume everybody's jealous of America. We're not. Well, apart from some of your music maybe....
    Oh and being one who played American football. The armor only softens the blows to your shoulders and Pectoral muscles. The pads on your legs really don't help all that much.
    It still softens the blows though, dunnit? You get health and safety insepctors at those matches? Wouldn't want anybody getting hurt now would we ;D
    See Jimborae's Jonah Lomu post. Note: no armour :p

Somebody mentioned baseball. Yep, we play that here, it's a good game. Oh hang on, no, we call it rounders here and it's played by Girl Guides.
    edited Feb 2005
    Jimborae said:
    As Bothered said yes we do, so much so that at one point we owned most of the known world. ;D

Also we've never really had isolationist foreign policies in our recent history unlike America; which in turn means we're never late when it comes to going to war unlike some other countries I could mention. :D
    Oh, so very cruel....... ;D ;D ;D
  • edited Feb 2005
    I watched it.... boring and crappy.
    edited Feb 2005
    Jimborae said:
    Maybe, but credit where it's due, it wasn't their war and if they didn't come England would have been stuffed.
  • edited Feb 2005
    I tend to agree with you Limey's on pro football being full of whiny biatches! ;)

But I also think that those guys playing rugby are absolutely brain-dead; they gotta be totally crazy. I'm partial to motorsports myself; at least the contestants there (the drivers) are actually putting their lives on the line literally any time they go out on a track.
    edited Feb 2005
    bothered said:
    Maybe, but credit where it's due, it wasn't their war and if they didn't come England would have been stuffed.
    Oi, stop being serious ;D

Of course it's true, but don't let them know we know, 'k? :range:
    edited Feb 2005
    Jimborae said:

I just think it's a pretty lame stereotype that everyone outside of the United States puts the label that people from the U.S. don't know and/or care about anything that goes on outside of our country, cause, it's really not true at all, and I'm just tired of hearing it is all ::shrug::

As for wars..... geez have it one way or another, you can call us late to the party (past) or get mad for pre-emptive attacking (present) which is it? ;D
    edited Feb 2005
    Camman said:

As for wars..... geez have it one way or another, you can call us late to the party (past) or get mad for pre-emptive attacking (present) which is it? ;D

Can't you guys get Bush to try and strike a happy middle ground, not too late & not too early. ;D
  • edited Feb 2005
    Camman said:

How about a war both of us can agree on and start from beginning to end?

I hear France is quite nice to invade around this time of year.....

;D
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Pokémaster, Watch Slut Toronto, ON Icrontian
    edited Feb 2005
    How about the Sudan? 300,000 dead -- "If we're lucky" (Jan Egeland, UN) as a result of the Sudanese government. Though that same UN just declared in January it wasn't genocide.. Let's bump that number up to 500,000. Maybe it'll be genocide then?

Can we go pwn the Sudan? Huh? Can we? Can we?
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ @TheButterflyman Icrontian
    edited Feb 2005
    Really, this wouldn't even be a debate if the Americans who designed American football had been creative enough to give it a better name. Why did they have to steal THAT name, I mean really! It doesn't even make any sence. They might as well have tried to call it 'Snooker'!

They should have come up with a better name, like Crunchball or Armorball or Runball, something like that.

And, if they really HAD to steal a name, they should have stolen a more apropriate name, like 'Rugby'. Which is actually, at least, a similar premise...
  • edited Feb 2005
    Thrax said:

Can we go pwn the Sudan? Huh? Can we? Can we?

Do they have any natural resources? what are there expensive restaurants like?

I still say we go for France, free couissants for everbody!!!!!

we can steal their french fry industry whilst we are at it!

:)
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited Feb 2005
    Ok gents, this is starting to steer WAY off course here. Can we all remember that this was a thread asking if the Brits watched the Superbowl, which most of us didn't as its not a sport we follow :thumbsup:
    edited Feb 2005
    I found it interesting that 3 pages in and there hasn't yet been a mention of the spelling of "British" in the thread title.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited Feb 2005
    Camman said:
    I found it interesting that 3 pages in and there hasn't yet been a mention of the spelling of "British" in the thread title.
    You ever heard a Brit complain about a little extra "t"? :vimp:
    edited Feb 2005
    Camman said:
    Aw, we just being polite, allowing for your shortcomings... ;)

Originally posted by CBDroege:
    Really, this wouldn't even be a debate if the Americans who designed American football had been creative enough to give it a better name. Why did they have to steal THAT name, I mean really! It doesn't even make any sence. They might as well have tried to call it 'Snooker'!

They should have come up with a better name, like Crunchball or Armorball or Runball, something like that.

And, if they really HAD to steal a name, they should have stolen a more apropriate name, like 'Rugby'. Which is actually, at least, a similar premise...
    An excellent point.
    edited Feb 2005
    Here is a good article about the history of American football:

HISTORY OF AMERICAN FOOTBALL

Football historians, those who have studied the game and its origins, place the game’s beginnings in rugby, an English game played with many similarities to football. Rugby began in eighteen twenty-three at the famous Rugby Boys’ School in England. Another cousin of the game of football is soccer; its beginnings can also be traced to English origin, being played as early as the eighteen twenties.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL: ITS BEGINNINGS

At the same time, a group of students at Princeton began playing what was then known as ‘ballown’. First using their fists to advance the ball, and then their feet, this game consisted mainly of one goal: to advance the ball past the opposing team. There were no hard and fast rules applied to this earliest attempt at the game we now call football.

At Harvard, the freshman and sophomore classes competed in a football-type game, played on the first Monday of each school year; this event came to be known as ‘Bloody Monday’ because of the roughness of the game. Pick up games, similar in style to that played on ‘Bloody Monday’, soon became popular on the Boston Common, catching on in popularity around eighteen sixty.

Soon after the end of the American Civil War, around eighteen sixty five, colleges began organizing football games. In eighteen sixty seven, Princeton led the way in establishing some rudimentary rules of the game. Also in that year, the football itself was patented for the very first time.

Rutgers College also established a set of rules in eighteen sixty seven, and with the relatively short distance between it and Princeton, a game was decided upon by both universities. A date was chosen, November sixth, eighteen sixty nine; Rutgers won by a score of six goals to four, and thus was played what has become known as the very first intercollegiate football game.

In eighteen seventy three, representatives from Columbia, Rutgers, Princeton, and Yale met in New York City to formulate the first intercollegiate football rules for the increasingly popular game, still being played with many of the rules of soccer. These four teams established the Intercollegiate Football Association, and set as fifteen the number of players allowed on each team.

Walter Camp, the coach at Yale and a dissenter from the IFA over his desire for an eleven man team, helped begin the final step in the evolution from rugby-style play to the modern game of American football. The IFA’s rules committee, led by Camp, soon cut the number of players from fifteen to eleven, and also instituted the size of the playing field, at one hundred ten yards. In eighteen eighty-two Camp also introduced the system of downs. After first allowing three attempts to advance the ball five yards, in nineteen six it was changed to ten yards. The fourth down was added in nineteen twelve. Tackling below the waist had been legalized in eighteen eighty-eight.

Within a decade, concern over the increasing brutality of the game led to its ban by some colleges. Nearly one hundred eighty players had suffered serious injuries, and eighteen deaths had been reported from the brutal mass plays that had become common in practice. In nineteen hundred five, President Theodore Roosevelt called upon Harvard, Princeton, and Yale to help save the sport from demise.

At a meeting between the schools, reform was agreed upon, and at a second meeting, attended by more than sixty other schools, the group appointed a seven member Rules Committee and set up what would later become known as the National Collegiate Athletic Association, or the NCAA.

From this committee came the legalization of the forward pass, which resulted in a more open style of play on the field. The rough mass plays, which once caused so many serious injuries, and even deaths, were prohibited by the committee. Also prohibited was the locking of arms by teammates in an effort to clear the way for their ball carriers. The length of the game was shortened, from seventy to sixty minutes, and the neutral zone, which separates the teams by the length of the ball before each play begins, was also established.

Today, almost one hundred years since the inception of the NCAA, the sport of college football flourishes as one of the most popular of collegiate games. Colleges and universities are placed into three divisions under NCAA guidelines and each division has many conferences. Seasonal and conference play leads to post-season bowl games, where the champions of conferences meet to play in front of a world-wide television audience. Some of these bowls include the Rose Bowl, played on New Year’s Day in Pasadena, California, between the Big Ten and Pacific Ten conference champions. Other bowls include the Orange Bowl in Miami, Florida, the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans, Louisiana, the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, Texas, and the Peach Bowl in Atlanta, Georgia.

PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL: ITS BEGINNINGS

Professional football was first played soon after the demise of the Intercollegiate Football Association, around eighteen ninety-five. In nineteen twenty, the American Professional Football Association was formed; one year later it was reorganized and in nineteen twenty-two was renamed the National Football League.

Unlike the APFA, which handed out franchises far and wide with little discretion, the NFL, from nineteen forty-six to forty-nine, was limited to ten teams. The APFA, on the other hand, consisted of twenty three teams in the year between its inception and the change-over in becoming the NFL.

A merger in nineteen seventy, fifty years after the inception of the first pro football association, combined sixteen NFL teams with ten AFL teams to comprise one league with two conferences. In the nineteen eighties, further expansion was proposed and by the ninety three-ninety four NFL season, approval was given for a thirty-team league. The next step towards growth of the league would be to realign the NFL into eight different divisions, each with four teams.

Pro football, like its college counterpart, was not without its failures. Among the number of competitive leagues that have folded in failure are the All-American Football conference, nineteen forty-six to forty-nine and the World Football League, nineteen seventy-four to seventy-five.

Arena Football, an indoor league played in the spring with eight man teams, debuted in nineteen eighty-seven. It is still played, but does not enjoy the popularity or success that is found in the National Football League.

PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL TODAY: A BUSINESS

From its humble beginnings in eighteen sixty-nine, when the first intercollegiate game was played between Rutgers and Princeton, football has become a multi-billion dollar business in its professional form.

Once watched by no more than a handful of loyal sideline enthusiasts, football is now available for worldwide viewing. With the advent of cable television, dozens of high school and college games can be watched over Friday and Saturday afternoons. Pro games are televised on Sunday and Monday nights, with at least half a dozen games televised each weekend during the season. At the end of each NFL season, champs from both the National and American conferences meet in the Super Bowl to determine a national champion. This game, always played in January, has been called the most watched sporting event of all time, with a viewing audience from around the entire globe, watching and listening to the televise in dozens of languages.

Although television commercials foot a very large part of the bill, the competition between networks for the coverage rights highly inflates the value of NFL franchises. In nineteen twenty, a franchise cost one hundred dollars. By nineteen sixty, each was worth approximately two million dollars. In nineteen ninety three, when the league decided to expand, selling teams to Charlotte, North Carolina and Jacksonville, Florida, the cost rose to one hundred forty millions dollars per franchise.

In the same year, the NFL signed a five-network, four year television contract, totaling almost four and a half billion dollars.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ @TheButterflyman Icrontian
    edited Feb 2005
    That's all very interesting, but it still doesn't really explain why the mutards decided to call it Football instead of Rugby, or even keeping that Ownball name.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Orange, CA Icrontian
    edited Feb 2005
    ;D You said "mutards." ROFL.

Maybe we should start calling it 'pwnball'...
  • primesuspectprimesuspect HumanGarbageDisposal Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited Feb 2005
    They SHOULD have called it "PWNBALL"

w00t! :mullet:
    edited Feb 2005
    CrazyJoe0813 said:
    Here is a good article about the history of American football:

HISTORY OF AMERICAN FOOTBALL

Football historians, those who have studied the game and its origins, place the game’s beginnings in rugby, an English game played with many similarities to football. Rugby began in eighteen twenty-three at the famous Rugby Boys’ School in England. Another cousin of the game of football is soccer; its beginnings can also be traced to English origin, being played as early as the eighteen twenties.

Whoever these historians are they should be shot, Rugby Football was a derivative of football not the other way round. Football has been played in the UK since medievil times when it was a violent street game played with a pig's head or stuffed animal stomach.

Rugby football developed from the game of football when some posh toff's at Rugby school decided to cheat & pick the ball up. :D Then to cover their cheating ways they decided to invent new rules & thus a new game.