"Setup was unable to complete the installation...

edited March 2005 in Hardware
"Setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup."

This is the error i got when i tried installing the ATI Radeon Driver :S
Can anyone help me and tell me why this is happening please?

Btw i dont have my graphics driver installed on my laptop,
i think i need the VGA driver or something to install the ATI driver...

Comments

• gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited March 2005
    for one you have to get the vid card driver from who ever makes the laptop

what laptop is it BTW

you can use Omega drives on laptop, gust no drivers from ATI drectly

http://www.omegadrivers.net/
  • edited March 2005
    I have a NEC Versa M320 Laptop and yea i downloaded my graphics card driver but when i go to install it it gives me that error :S
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    where did you download the driver? and which one?
  • edited March 2005
    If you go to the NEC-MINI site for Versa M320 it has the drivers there in the support section, i downloaded that ATI driver and tried to install it but the error keeps popping up :S
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2005
    Boot up in Safe Mode and uninstall everything under "Display adapters". Reboot and let Windows find it again. If it wants to install it as "standard VGA" let it. Reboot and try to run the "real" driver again (either the one gibbonsl suggested or the one from NEC).
  • edited March 2005
    First of all how do i boot up in safe mode? :P
    And second of all when i go to device manager there is nothing under "Display Adapters" Infact there isn't a category called that :S
    edited March 2005
    Get into Safe Mode by pressing F8 before Windows starts to load. Since laptops often share the F# keys with other functions, make sure that you have the key that toggles between F-Lock (may be a different name) and the alternate key function is pressed.

If there's nothing there in Safe Mode, go to Control Panel>>Add Hardware, and manually add a Standard VGA Display Adapter, reboot and install the correct driver.
  • edited March 2005
    Ok thanks for that, im gonna try it now!
  • edited March 2005
    Ok well i tried that and still nothing :S i looked in the add/remove control panel to see if there was anything there and i looked in the device manager to see if "Display Monitor" came up but still nothing :(

BTW how do i manually add the VGA thing? lol
    edited March 2005
    what about Display adapters?
  • edited March 2005
    Nope, nothing.
  • edited March 2005
    Help! anyone?!?!
    edited March 2005
    how about chipset drivers

also can you post a pict of the device manger here so we can see it

if you don't know how to do that

Prt Scrn then paste it into your fav photo editer
    edited March 2005
    gibbonsl wrote:
    how about chipset drivers...
    That would be an excellent idea. :)

If you still don't get it after that, try the Add Hardware function in Control Panel and follow steps 1-4 like in the picture. If your Display Adapter doesn't appear on the list in Step 4 click on "Have Disk" and point it to the folder with the driver you downloaded.
  • edited March 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    That would be an excellent idea. :)

If you still don't get it after that, try the Add Hardware function in Control Panel and follow steps 1-4 like in the picture. If your Display Adapter doesn't appear on the list in Step 4 click on "Have Disk" and point it to the folder with the driver you downloaded.

This is what happens when i do what you said,
    i went to "Have Disk" and got the driver from the foler and pressed ok then it was blank (white) :S
    edited March 2005
    Did you try gibbonsl's suggestion about chipset drivers? Even if it doesn't help this particular problem it's something you ought to do.

When you tried the "Have Disk" installation did you try navigating to any subfolders? Sometimes there is a main folder with the driver's self-install program, and sub-folders with OS-specific (Win98, WinXP, etc) drivers.

I couldn't find anything at NEC's site concerning "NEC-MINI Versa M320". Is that the full model #?
  • edited March 2005
    http://www.nec-asia.com/minisites/m320/M320_support.htm(full model) heres the site and yes i did go into subfolders but it didnt have no folders like XP, 200 or anything.
    If you download it and look at it i went to the "Drivers" folder in there and it had a INF file there...

The same thing happens when i try to add my wireless Driver, it goes blank when i pick it from "Have Disk".

And whats ChipSet Drivers...?
    edited March 2005
    ...whats ChipSet Drivers...?
    The chipset controls the devices on your Motherboard.

If you look at the Specifications page under "Architecture & Motherboard" you'll see this listed:
    Chipset
    Northbridge ATI RS200M
    Southbridge ALi M1535+

I did a search and found this driver from HP for the ATI RS200M Northbridge. The documentation is kind of hazy, but from what I could find it seems that the video is embedded in the Northbridge. The ALi Southbridge has embedded audio.

I'd be sure and set a restore point before trying the driver I linked to. :cool:
    The same thing happens when i try to add my wireless Driver, it goes blank when i pick it from "Have Disk".
    Did you just do a wipe-and-reload? If so, is it possible that you have a screwed-up Windows installation? :(
  • edited March 2005
    Thanks alot! will try that and whats a wipe and reload? i dont think i done that, i went to add hadware and added it manually from there but it still comes up blank :S
    edited March 2005
    format and reload windows
  • edited March 2005
    That download file you referred me to doesnt work either :( it gives me a INF error and said the driver wasn't found :S but the other one i downloaded only gives me the first error i had.
    edited March 2005
    Are you running the setup.exe in the main folder?

If that doesn't work, try the .inf file in the "...\SP27459\Driver\2KXP_INF" folder.

Just to make sure, the message you're getting isn't that goofy "STOP! This driver is not signed..." error, is it? If so, ignore it and "Continue anyway".

You might also try checking your bios settings for anything pertaining to video.
  • edited March 2005
    yea even when i run the setup.exe it gives me that vga error, and no it doesn't give me the "STOP! This driver is not signed..." error...hmmmm
    edited March 2005
    The reason I asked about the wipe-and-reload (format) is that I was wondering why you needed to (re)install the driver. That might provide a clue.

Did you check through the bios for video-related settings?

If you just did a clean install it might be worth it to format and try again, or maybe try a repair install.
  • edited March 2005
    Ok thanks for the advice, i think i'll wipe the whole lot out and start again and see what happens.