UT2K4 Crash and burn

MountainDewMountainDew Kentwood, MI
edited March 2005 in Gaming
Hey guys, i have a little problem....

i recently reinstalled Unreal Tournament 2004 (ah, lan memories....)
Everything installed fine, but when i play the game, after about 30 minutes of fraggin, i get booted to the desktop with a general protection fault popup. i tried the new patch but it didnt help. anyone got any ideas?

i have all the settings on max, and my rig is as follows:

AthlonXP 3200+ @ stock
x800 pro 256mb
1 gig cosair value ram

Comments

• leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    have u tried different video card driver?
  • MountainDewMountainDew Kentwood, MI
    edited March 2005
    eh...i hate messing with video drivers, the drivers im using are what gave me the best performance, and note that no other game is having this problem.
    edited March 2005
    UT2004 Build UT2004_Build_[2005-02-15_17.02]

CPU: AuthenticAMD PentiumPro-class processor @ 2207 MHz with 1023MB RAM
    Video: RADEON X800 Series (6497)

General protection fault!

History: FOctreeNode::ActorZeroExtentLineCheck <- FOctreeNode::ActorZeroExtentLineCheck <- FOctreeNode::ActorZeroExtentLineCheck <- FOctreeNode::ActorZeroExtentLineCheck <- FOctreeNode::ActorZeroExtentLineCheck <- FOctreeNode::ActorZeroExtentLineCheck <- FOctreeNode::ActorZeroExtentLineCheck <- FOctreeNode::ActorZeroExtentLineCheck <- FOctreeNode::ActorZeroExtentLineCheck <- FOctreeNode::ActorZeroExtentLineCheck <- FCollisionOctree::ActorLineCheck <- CheckWithActors <- ULevel::MultiLineCheck <- ULevel::SingleLineCheck <- UObject::ProcessEvent <- (ONSHUDOnslaught ONS-CBP2-Brassed.ONSHUDOnslaught, Function Engine.HUD.PostRender) <- FPlayerSceneNode::Render <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level CBP2 - Brassed <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 676F4C57 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

theres the error in all its glory
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited March 2005
    i vote video card overheating
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Yep, that's my vote too.

There's always a quick memtest :D
    edited March 2005
    the real question is whether FMalloc is allocating space in the Video Card's RAM or the System's RAM. if its the system, then memtest is a good idea (its probably a good idea anyway...)
    edited March 2005
    thanks for teh input guys, i dont think its overheating...i have 4 120mm fans going, two in two out and my cpu temp is like 40C load.

i guess ill try the memtest... but wouldnt bad memory mess up other things too? i run 3dsmax 6 and CS:S and stuff, no problems there.

ill get back to you after i test
    edited March 2005
    congradulations prime... memtest found errors within 5 minutes of running

:respect:
    edited March 2005
    congradulations prime... memtest found errors within 5 minutes of running

:respect:
    well it was one of the two. btw, good airflow and low case temperatures dont mean a video card isn't overheating, those things put out a ton of heat in a tiny little area

what the hell crazy case do you have with 4 120mm fans? I salute that case
    edited March 2005
    btw, good airflow and low case temperatures dont mean a video card isn't overheating, those things put out a ton of heat in a tiny little area

i totally agree. im gonna go get UT2K4 running for an hour or so, we'll see how it goes

(switched out the ram with a freshly bought 512mb x2 :D)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    memtest strikes again! :woowoo:
    edited March 2005
    memtest strikes again! :woowoo:
    lucky biatch
    edited March 2005
    THE PLOT THICKENS! (well...kinda)

I ran memtest:thumbsup: with my fresh ramz0rs, everything went smoothly.
    Ran UT2K4....same error :shakehead

Im starting to think its a software problem, but this error happened as soon as i installed unreal, then i patched it and it still happened. i dont know what to try anymore....
  • NosferatuNosferatu Arizona
    edited March 2005
    I was getting it before in UT2004 but forgot what fixed it. I was also getting memory errors when playing CS: Source. I think the errors stopped after I removed my RAM and sprayed the entire case with some compressed air. Cleaned the dust out of everything, PCI slots, AGP slot, heatsink, videocard (was a lot of dust in the fan), etc. I don't recall any games crashing since the cleaning. I did run memtest for about 2 hours before I wanted to use my computer again and it didn't find any errors during that time.
    edited March 2005
    hmmmm....i guess its worth a shot, but only my cpu/heatsink have been in there long enough to gather dust...if that doesnt work ill just reinstall, see what that does for me.

EDIT: just thought of something...do you guys think installing a program with bad RAM could cause it to run improperly?
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    I don't think it could cause problems, because RAM is just that, randomly accessed quick storage memory, isn't it? The game re-routes info that way every time? And its flushed on every re-start.

Have you tried deleting a .cfg file and re-running the game? Like in the main folder? (I don't have the game so I can't give you an exact filename, but anything with a .cfg make a backup of and delete)
    edited March 2005
    well i just reinstalled it...it went fine for like almost 40 minutes, then it shot me to the desktop! no error messege either! im about to just forget about it and wait for 2k5