Scsi raid

HatopHatop Alabama
edited June 2003 in Hardware
Which is the best value/performance combo for a U160 Scsi Raid.Already Have the card and such, just not sure about the drives. Not sure which raid style I want either, as I've never really tried to make one. I currently have an IBM Ultrastar 15k drive(18.4 gig).
Should I just buy another and go with them?

Comments

• FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited June 2003
    Your Ultrastar is probably a 4Meg cache drive. If so, getting one with an 8 Meg cache would be a mismatch in a raid 0 or 10 or 50 setup with 3 or 4 others. Either get all 4 Meg drives or upgrade to all 8 Meg drives. The internal transfer rates of the later edition 8 Meg drives will make your IBM seem like an ide drive and frustrate your attempts at speed. You can, however, typically pick up those IBM's cheap at ubid.com brand new and therefore make a respectable raid 0 array with 4 of them. I have them myself and on an LSI 1600 Elite, in raid0, I got around 140 on ATTO after tweaking the crap out of it in an 64bit/66 Mhz slot. (In contrast, 4x15k3 Cheetahs on that same card will go over 200.) Shipping on the first drive is expensive, but at the prices you pay for the drives, buying 2 or 3 brings the shipping down to a reasonable number.

Good Luck,
    Flint:aol: