Whats wrong with my drives?

EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
edited April 2005 in Hardware
That's a valid question since when i scanned the L: (my newest harddrive) partition magic 8 ran into so many read errors it fanally gave up. This is very serious since i got that drive around christmas.

I then moved on the my other drive which i according to a guide by mediaman had devided into several smaller partitions. Non of the partitions reported any read errors so i went along to merge E: (programs) with F: (games). It went through most of the process and then reported a read error and claimed that it had completed the process!!

Knowing what happend last time i tried this i once again feared the e and f had gone poof. Luckly they hadn't. Last time also g and h had vanished and it was only through the miracle called partition recovery that i got them back. This time i used norton ghost to backup e and f before doing anything. All partitions were still there, unalltered when i got back into windows.

Before i did any of this i ran norton disk doctor as well as speeddisk. doctor found no errors.

For a while knowe i'ved been hesaring beeping sounds comming from the computer which i nor any of you were able to figure out. They might be a sign that something isn't right with my drives. But what is it and have do i fix it.

Some use speeddisk instead of asus pc probe to monitor fans so i tried it out. According to smart scan one of my drives is down to 43% fitness. That sounds bad to me. since it only shows 1 drive and not 2 something must be wrong with the connection but the cables sit fine. Is something wrong with the controller.

Now i've asked a lot of questions but i've like to answer somew myself but i lack the tools to do so. Therefor i want to know if there is any apps the can monitor smart, check my harddrives for errors, fix those errors, and if possible help me merge the parts without losing what's on them.

Both my drives are 160 gig seagates connected to an asus a7n8x e deluxe mobo using the sata wires shipped with the mobo.

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited April 2005
    I have had way to many problems with sata cables. Especially if they are pulled tight and zip tied etc.. to make a case look really clean.

Consider swapping them and see if the probs follow the cables.

Tex
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited April 2005
    Yah if the sata cables are bent the drive will start acting funny. My buddy got random bsod's turned out to be because bestbyte zip tied all his cables.
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited April 2005
    Switch cables. Ok. Sure wont cost as much as replasing the drives or what's on them. :eek:

Thanks for the ideas. :thumbsup: