Wierd internet problem - hate my isp

EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
edited April 2005 in Science & Tech
Well i've now sorta gotten my internet back. Sorta means that it works for about 2-5 minutes then i loose contact and have to wait untill the wan light on my modem stops flashing and just shines . Why does this happen. It began on friday even though i connected the modem on thursday but i didn't get a connection at all. In all faireness should mention the according to my isp my internet shouldn't begin working untill tomorrow but still it does work at times just not for a very long duration.

When i got it in october it worked about 2 -3 days before it was supposed to but atleast then it worked without problems, not like this. The last time i was online before moving was on 14 februari. Then i packed it down since the move was the next day. It tookuntill the 22 of mars before a temporary telephone wire could be draw to the basement where my computer is. There was a wire there before that ran up to one of the closets but if was broken.

After connecting the modem as before except a shorter cable between the splitter and wall i saw that it wasn't working. Since nothing had been changed as far as settings goes i figured that the problem wasn't on my side. The next day when i called my isp it was confirmed the adress hadn't been changed. For some reason the person i talked to said that i couldn't get internet at that adress even though i'd checked it earlier. After some argumet it was decided that i should call back ther next day.

The next they i didn't ask to if i could get internet where i now live i just asked them to change my adress so a letter was going to be posted to me which i should sign to confirm my new adress. I signed the letter and later i got a confirmation printed mars 8 that said that they now had my new adress and that in 2-8 weeks!! my internet would be back. I prayed they were joking but last wednesday when i got a letter saying the the final date would be april 19 (tomorrow) i knew they weren't kidding.

The main question i have is why is my internet doing like this. I'm no expert but it seems to me that either it works, or it doesn't. Any ideas.

Strangly i think it fixed itself as i was typing this. It hasn't disconnected for nearly 10 minutes. Hmm wonder what happens if i try to reboot. First though i'm installing the newest version of firefox and switching back to the logitech mouse since it's battery is recharched now. Good thing i still had that m$ wheel mouse optical so i could continue my work.

Comments

• EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited April 2005
    Problem kinda solved. After some tesst i noticed that internet was stable as long as no phones was connected. This lead me to suspect the splitter. This is also plausable since everytime someone pics up the phone, noice is heard and often internet is cut of.

Called support last night and they will send a new splitter. Hopefully that will take care of the problem. Untill then i'm not making any unnceccecary phonecalls that's for sure. :rolleyes:

Another reason i have for not liking my isp is that before i moved internet wasn't very stable. Often when i played AAO it crashed and so did internet. I always thought that it was the game crashing and it took internet with it, but it could have been the internet crashing that took the game with it. Then again this could also be because of the splitter going bad. We'll see in a few days.
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited April 2005
    Seems it wasn't my isp at all. it was the plug or whatever it's called. When i replaced i it worked.

Another thing that messed up was the cable going to the UPS. Apperently it only had 2 wires instead of 4. At the moment the UPS is not connected to the modem but i'm thinking of doing that again. Wouldn't want something busting up my modem nor having to disconnect if a storm heads my way.

But since there was lots of interference in the phones i'm not so sure i'm willing to do that without some testing. But how will i know if the ups isn't working. Prolly just by connecting it again. Perhaps i should let the splitter be at the unprotected side this time.