Must renew norton - should i keep systemworks

EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
edited May 2005 in Science & Tech
It's that time now, time to renew my norton licence. Since i only use antivirus and sometimes speeddisk i've been wondering if the rest of the apps are of any use to me.

Sure i run one button checkup but i know that it doesn't really clean my registry that well. Windows defragmenter at least in the past didn't really finish, though that could be because of the old computer i then had. NAV isn't going anywere. It might be bloated but haven't done anything to me so i'm keeping it, the rest of the apps i'm wondering about.

So in short:
Should i continue to use speeddisk or are there a better apps for deframenting harddrives.

Is onebuttoncheckup needed or are there other apps that would be better.

I don't use cleansweep nor ghost. I use sygate PF so i dont want nortons firewall.

I know that i don't have to upgrade any software to renew my licens but then i would get some newer software too. I'm kinda late to this though to my now solved internet problems so please don't wait to respond, i have till may 16 to renew my licens.

Comments

• Lord_NightLord_Night Piqua Ohio
    edited April 2005
    Keep Norton Anti-Virus

chuck the rest of it.. the Anti-Virus part is the only part I use, have never used any other part of a nortons program. never needed it...

just my two cents..
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited April 2005
    Lord_Night wrote:
    Keep Norton Anti-Virus

chuck the rest of it.. the Anti-Virus part is the only part I use, have never used any other part of a nortons program. never needed it...

just my two cents..

I'm going to keep norton antivirus. What other programs do you use instead.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I would chuck anything Norton. While their products used to be top notch, they've become bloated and slow. I would go with another antivirus product. There are a bunch of excellent pay products with very small memory footprints, and a handful of free ones that are also quite capable.

As for defragmenting, PerfectDisk and Diskeeper are two good names.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    I've been using MMH Cleaner for HD cleanup. It does a better job of cleaning out temp files and my browser cache than CleanSweep ever did.

Free is good, too.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited April 2005
    EyesOnly wrote:
    I'm going to keep norton antivirus. What other programs do you use instead.

email me. I have a solution for you.

Tex
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    If you wanna go the free route, you could always try AVG. NOD32 is really good if you plan on paying.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    AVG is great.
    edited April 2005
    Ditto AVG. Been using it for several years now and have never had a problem, either with viruses or (lack of) system resources.
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I have no idea why anybody really would pay for AV when there is AVG Free. :scratch: I've been using it ever since my McAfee sub ran out in 02/03.

I'm constantly cleaning machines that have Norton installed. In my opinion, their AV grossly underperforms in it's protection, uses too much system resources with load times at bootup and creates a noticable slowdown in the operation of Windows. It's a good thing Norton also bundles such apps as Speedisk in order to counter the performance depreciation it creates. Norton AV is sold at a premuim price but IMO does not come close being worth its sticker price. :thumbsdow

Stacked beside AVG, it's a no contest. Just for the lack of cost, it's performance and quality of protection, AVG is a superior product.

I do have to thank the Norton people though, they have provided me with lot's of work over the years and for that, is enabling me to make a half decent living doing what I love. :thumbsup:

My opinion on the question is to get rid of everything Norton, it's more trouble than it's worth. There are some great products out there that are already listed here that will help tuneup your system and largely for free. :)
    edited April 2005
    TBonZ wrote:
    ...It's a good thing Norton also bundles such apps as Speedisk in order to counter the performance depreciation it creates...
    I read somewhere that due to restrictions in WinXp, Speedisk now uses the MS Disc Defrag engine and merely dresses it up with a fancy interface and a few options like being able to place certain files first, etc.

The only thing I missed about Norton System Works was Cleansweep. Once I found MMH Cleaner (mentioned previously) I never even considered going back.
    edited April 2005
    Tex wrote:
    email me. I have a solution for you.

Tex

Done
    edited April 2005
    I'm surpriced. In the poll in the security forums NAV won straight down and now almost everyone thinks AVG as the best. Looks like i'm going avg then depending on what tex says. Can't argue with that price.
    edited April 2005
    I got you fixed. Check your email
  • edited April 2005
    dodgy dealings..... avast is good also from my experience. Howdever if tex has given you what i think he has you shoulkd be set. for the next 50 years or so....
    edited April 2005
    Tex wrote:
    I got you fixed. Check your email

Done, now check your's if you haven't already.
    -animal- wrote:
    Howdever if tex has given you what i think he has you shoulkd be set. for the next 50 years or so....

So indeed but i still switched. AVG is running a sweep now, on around 50.000 files and has been going for about 22 minutes. If it takes the same time as norton did it wont be finished for some time but i can wait. If it finds something i'll post otherwise asume it didn't. Symantec sure will be hearing from me if it does.

I've also gotten perfectdisk and MMHcleaner. cleaner did a sweep and removed some files but i haven't run pdisk yet. If the reviews from download.com are true the first time will take some time and i don't want to do that right now.

While i'm at it. Are the any good registry cleaners out there.My registry is a mess but if i can avoid going through it manually that would be great.
    edited April 2005
    Dude it might find something it thinks is a virus that Nortons didnt. Crap the differant VERSIONS OF NORTONS that I have don't all find the same thing. The Nortons 2005 finds a lot more stuff then a updated version of 2003.

And Nortons AV might of already cleaned out some stuff AVG wouldnt find. And two weeks later either one might be capable of finding what they missed two weeks ago.

Your not comparing two static products. Scanning with both might find differant files every day.

Tex
  • SpywareShooterSpywareShooter 127.0.0.1
    edited April 2005
    Haha, what a coincidence. I was reading through this topic and Norton started one of it's random virus scans and alerted me with a popup that said 'you free trial has run out'. I do agree that it hogs your system resources. Sometimes when I'm doing something else that uses a lot of resources I have to end up completely closing norton and all of it's components like the firewall and AV (my IP is 127.0.0.1 ;D lol) I'm glad that it still detects viruses though. Sometimes while I'm working on SpywareShooter I get popups that it blocked a virus. I've got the bought software somewhere around the house but never got around to installing it on this computer :shakehead. I probably should do it soon. Anyways, it's better than no protection, but I think I liked AVG better when I had it on my old computer. I don't think there were as many random virus scans and it didnt' use so much of my system resources.
    edited April 2005
    Haha, what a coincidence. I was reading through this topic and Norton started one of it's random virus scans and alerted me with a popup that said 'you free trial has run out'. I do agree that it hogs your system resources. Sometimes when I'm doing something else that uses a lot of resources I have to end up completely closing norton and all of it's components like the firewall and AV (my IP is 127.0.0.1 ;D lol) I'm glad that it still detects viruses though. Sometimes while I'm working on SpywareShooter I get popups that it blocked a virus. I've got the bought software somewhere around the house but never got around to installing it on this computer :shakehead. I probably should do it soon. Anyways, it's better than no protection, but I think I liked AVG better when I had it on my old computer. I don't think there were as many random virus scans and it didnt' use so much of my system resources.

If it's not Nortons 2005 then you too should email me

tex
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited April 2005
    Tex, I got Norton SystemWorks 2004.

I have a few months before my subscriptions runs out
    edited April 2005
    When did they come out with 2005? A few months ago best buy sold me 2003. (or maybe that was Word, I'll have to check it tomorrow)
    edited April 2005
    Once again i'm confused but i'll go with majority decission and stick with AVG. Actually i'm to lazy to reinstall norton. :) So what about that registrycleaner. I know there's an app called excactly that. Is it good or should i get something else. If there's anything bogging my computer right now it's the registry.

BTW AVG didn't find anything.
    edited April 2005
    Tex, it is 2005. I got confused between the Microsoft Word and Norton that I bought at the same time.
    edited April 2005
    I can't fix 2005. Any earlier version I can.

Tex
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    C'mon guys, we're all regulars here. The level of discretion is quickly dropping in this thread. We need more than lip service to the rules, please. :)

I use Norton still. AVG is nice, but they don't update nearly as fast. Maybe we should do another poll and see if opinion has actually shifted overall since then. I wouldn't keep Systemworks either. I've seen that as a n00b-paranoia product for a little while now, though I did have it on my parents some years ago. It just seemed like it was using up too many system resources running in the background for the little bit of good it did.
  • HeartSmasherEliteHeartSmasherElite Microsoft OS Tech Support
    edited April 2005
    What ever you do don't uninstall Norton or the other programs without following symantec's instructions
    I didnt follow them and my full system scan won't ever run again. :bawling:

Just be carefull :thumbsup:
    edited April 2005
    You can fix it. You just got to know what to delete manualy. i have done it dozens of times.

Tex
  • HeartSmasherEliteHeartSmasherElite Microsoft OS Tech Support
    edited April 2005
    if you uninstall it make sure you get rid of everything including the files it left behind so it stil wont slow your system down after you install it.
    edited May 2005
    There's an app called symclean by symantech that should clean out whatever the uninstallation didn't get. I ran it after i unstalled norton and it said that my system was clean.

What do you mean by manuall uninstall.
    edited May 2005
    that cleans registry entries. I clean all the program and data directories also
    edited May 2005
    Tex wrote:
    that cleans registry entries. I clean all the program and data directories also

Ok i see, looks like i've got some work cut out for me then.

Anyways since noone answered my question about a good registry cleaner i looked around and one app that people here recommended was Ccleaner so i tried it and it's nice. Removed so many entries i'm starting to wonder if i still have a registry. :)