Problems with wireless network

CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
edited May 2005 in Science & Tech
I have a Linksys Wireless G router (WRT54GS) connected to my main computer via ethernet. My other computer has an Asus wireless network card jobby. I installed Windows XP Pro on the other computer & the wireless connection worked fine. I was using WEP security and the computer was connected to the Internet fine.

I downloaded SP2 and installed that... then restarted an no connection! Or should I say, there is a connection to the wireless network but Windows says that the network traffic is restricted or minmal or something. I think it wasn't assigned an IP address.

So I think the network card is connected, but why is there no traffic? Is it going to be the router (I reset it, configured it on my main machince)? Or the network card? Or SP2??

Please help as I only want to format as a last resort.

~Cyrix

Comments

• PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Cyrix,
    SP2 is typically much better at wireless connections than previous versions. It sounds like during the upgrade to SP2 though the laptop lost the WEP keys. Have you confirmed that they are still entered and correct?
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Yes Preacher, so I believe SP2. The other computer is in fact a desktop, but I re-did the keys as one attempt to sort it.. As far as I can tell the computer is connected to the network, just that there is 'limited or no connectivity'. I was using the Asus software that came with the network card at first, but I even tried letting Windows manage things.

I'm sure the computer connects to the network, but I do remember Windows saying something about not being assigned an IP. Sorry I don't have more details but it's late & the computer is in my mums room.

I just thought someone may be aware of the problem.

~Cyrix
    edited May 2005
    Are you using DHCP or static IPs on the router? And just to make sure I understand...the desktop is connected directly via wire to the WRT54GS and the laptop is using the ASUS connector?

Also, have you looked for new ASUS drivers certified to work with SP2?
    edited May 2005
    I'm using DHCP on the router. My own desktop is connected directly via ethernet wire to the WRT54GS, and I use this to cinfigure things.

The other computer, also a desktop, is using the wireless Asus adaptor. I haven't looked for new drivers yet for that, so I reckon that would be a good idea to try next...

~Cyrix
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited May 2005
    I had this problem with one of my machines when I installed SP2. Never found a solution, but did find a workaround: Use a static IP. For some reason that particular machine doesn't like DHCP with SP2, after setting a static IP it works fine.

Edit: Just thought I'd add a bit more detail, all my other machines use DHCP with no problems, but that particular machine won't get an IP from DHCP using any network card (wireless or wired). Also turned the firewall off, no joy. Setting a static IP is the only way I could get it to work.
    edited May 2005
    That's strange, Cyrix. I have the same router and setup except my roommate's desktop uses a Linksys 802.11g card. When I upgraded to SP2, I had no issues and it actually improved my wireless reliability.

Are there any other WAPs you can see in the XP "Wireless Available Networks" to see if your card is at least working correctly?
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited May 2005
    uninstall your wireless card software.

Then,

1. DISABLE windows 0 wireless networking services and then reinstall your card software.

or

2. just use windows wireless networking.

Most 3rd party software has issues with windows. I also have the same router sitting about 2 feet away. I spent 8 hours figuring this out.
    edited May 2005
    Nope preacher, there are no other WAPs. Gobbles I'll try that thanks.

~Cyrix