Kazaa Lite help needed please

TrinityTrinity UK
edited September 2003 in Science & Tech
Hi Guys,
Wonder if you could help this damsel in distress :p

I used to use DC but cos I have to connect in passive mode a lot of the hubs won't let me in anymore :( And I've tried WinMX but all I'm getting is fake files :hrm:
So I thought I'd try Kazaa Lite.

This is where you lot come in ;)

I'm on 512k down/256 up - ADSL through a Nat Router.

I've tried to download but my download speed is never over 5kb.
I don't mind sharing but don't want 100 people uploading at one time. So I want to limit it to about 10/20
I've also noticed that when I am downloading my net is mega slow. It's like surfing on dial up!!!

Basically any tips or help you can give will be very much appreciated :D

Thanx in Advance

Trini xx

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    K++ ;)

You downloads are slow since you just started sharing. The more you share the higher rating you get and the higher in the queue list you are. With K++ you get a rating of 1000 and you're always on top. You can also disable uploading (although then what's the point of file sharing if you're not gonna share). As for DC and passive mode, just try DC++.
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited September 2003
    When I go to a computer that has Kazaa lite I'll answer your questions if someone hasn't already done so by then.

However, I do think you should post a pic of yourself in the members pictures thread. :D That way we can all see who we're talking to.

// Edit: Nice pic, Trinity! :D You definitely look different than I had imagined.
    /me had pictured a female Shorty with many very visible piercings. :)
  • TrinityTrinity UK
    edited September 2003
    a2jfreak said
    However, I do think you should post a pic of yourself in the members pictures thread. :D That way we can all see who we're talking to.

Done :thumbsup: ...Its on the yearbook thread!

Blackhawk! Thanx for the tip on DC & K++... I'll try that fo sure :D
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited September 2003
    use soulseek
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Since you're using Kazaa lite you don't have to worry about your rating. It will always read '1000- K-lite master'. If you go up to menu: (Options), (Kazaa lite Options), then click on the (Traffic) tab. Here, it will let you set how many simultanious uploads and downloads you will allow. It doesn't say it anywhere, but I've found that the settings in this pannel don't take effect until you restart the client.

Don't worry if the numbers in your Trafic window look kind of low. I'm on a 512k, and the most total bandwith I seem to ever get from and p2p program is 75k. Remember that your download speed is also effected by the other person's upload speed. It's very rare to find a user to download from that you can get more than 5-10k out of, because they are already uploading and downloading with others.

Also, don't listen to these guys. K-lite is the best p2p file sharing software. I've tried them all, and this is the only one that I don't absolutely refuse to use for one reason or another.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    You complain about fake files then switch to Kazaa? That like complaining about slow cars and buying a milk float.....

The best thing to find real files with is eMule (or some other eDonkey network client). It may be slower than the other networks, but you will more often find what you are looking for and it is rarely, if ever, fake.

NS
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Kazaa may be bad for fake files, but Kazaa Lite has very good filters. I have never once downloaded a file that turned out to be fake.
  • SlickSlick Upstate New York
    edited September 2003
    Neither have I. Make sure you block out the RIAA and bad IP ranges, also make sure all that personal info is removed from the dat files (its a k-lite option). Although I suppose you don't really have to worry because you are in the uk, but just wait, soon the RIAA will be filing law suites there.
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Hahaha, try downloading Dido - White Flag, and see if the songs you get back are real or 'fake'. Oh they play alright, but after about 10 seconds the songs starts going all horrible and scary.

~Cyrix
    edited September 2003
    Or - Black eyed Peas - Where is the love

What I was refering to on Kazaa (or Lite) was with Programs or Movies, 90% of them are fake or just wrongly named.

NS
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    I managed to get a real copy of B.E.P - Where is the Love from Kazaa. :D

Took forever though. :rolleyes2
    edited September 2003
    Yeah, just download a quality higher than 192, as 95% of the 192Kb files are haxed.

NS
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Kazaa is only good for really popular music that everyone has. For rare stuff you need winmx, emule and stuff like that. As for movies just use the preview program that comes with kazaa lite.
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited September 2003
    use soulseek
  • TrinityTrinity UK
    edited September 2003
    Bloody hell!! It's like a mothers meeting on this thread! ;D

Armogeddon! I think I got the hint :thumbsup:

Thankyou for all the help, but no matter what I do my speeds are staying low and its slowing my surfing down, which is definetly not on! :shakehead

So I've tried DC++ and having huge success :cool:

Thankyou for those of you that have offered help and advice. :D

Oh and for the record... I got Dido in perfect working order first time :vimp:
  • SouriatSouriat Nottingham, UK
    edited September 2003
    NightShade737 said
    The best thing to find real files with is eMule (or some other eDonkey network client). It may be slower than the other networks, but you will more often find what you are looking for and it is rarely, if ever, fake.

NS

So true, i use eMule and Bittorent pretty much exclusivly, not had any fake files since i stopped using Kazaa :)

True Kazaa did tend to get faster speeds but reliability is much more important to me and i find the Donkey network a pretty decent speed my download/uploaded data is around 50/50% which is very fair to me :)
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Soulseek is shut down. Can't get it anymore. Have tried many p2p prog's, and I use k-lite now too. But I will try out the D++. Haven't done that one yet. Hey Trinity, Glad to see you got one thats faster.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Anybody behind a firewall willing to share some DC++ tips? I've opened the firewall and done everything correct according to the FAQ. People are uploading like fiends from me, but I can't seem to get a search or a file list from anyone.

Is passive mode my only option?
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Preacher,

I forgot all about the DC++ guide I was doing for you. I will get it sorted for you tomorrow.
    edited September 2003
    Necro,
    Did I ever tell you you're one of my heroes? Especially for the fact that you have Judge Dread in your sig!

Trinity,
    I would also like to suggest WinMX, Shareaza, and BitTorrent for your P2P needs. Each has their own strengths and weaknesses. Although with Suprnova gone, BT has taken a hit in usefulness.
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited September 2003
    since when has supernova been down?

I was just there at like 4AM this morning.

It has like 6 mirrors, have you tried any of the mirrors?
    edited September 2003
    FF,
    Thanks for joggin' my old memory!

Found a working mirror here:

http://suprnova.web.siol.com/list_news.html
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited September 2003
    Even when KaZaA Lite K++ is using all my download bandwidth, which WebTemp on a logmarithic scale claims a total of 152KB/s (and which several downloads can equal), my surfing never slows down much at all.
  • TrinityTrinity UK
    edited September 2003
    a2jfreak said

// Edit: Nice pic, Trinity! :D You definitely look different than I had imagined.
    * a2jfreak had pictured a female Shorty with many very visible piercings. :)

I do have visible piercings ;) you just can't see them on there.

Preacher...I'm using passive mode in DC++ and doing brilliantly :thumbsup:
    edited September 2003
    Trinity,
    have you tried the Suprnova website and BitTorrent? While you can't search, they have some "amazing" stuff. I'll have to try passive mode for DC++ then. Although it will be hard, for those of you who know me, passive isn't usually in my vocabulary!:o :D
  • PowerMDPowerMD OR room #3
    edited September 2003
    bit torrent is all live albums from what I see. emule too slow
    used to use DC but no one shared crap and never had what I wanted
    hesitant to use k++......
    anything else?
    edited September 2003
    Go to:

http://suprnova.web.siol.com/list_news.html

I think you'll find more than just BT live albums.
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited September 2003
    With bittorrent, I am downloading a file with it, and everytime, it stops at 60%. What does that mean? That file out there isn't completed?
    edited September 2003
    Probably not enough seeds sharing the complete file. Use PTC for your BT client and it will tell you the number of people as seeds and peers.
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    I love BT, it's the best for getting your hands on some "trialware" :D as far as music, i usually go with K++ or winmx.