Nero: At my wits end here...

edited May 2005 in Science & Tech
I've got Nero 6.xx (the latest edition prior to this last update) and I am running XP Pro SP2. Ever since I put SP2 on my machine every time I attempt to open Nero it BSOD's on me.

Yes, I've considered my OC, ran the machine at the default FSB and still the same BSOD (all the stop errors were the same) and no, there's no new hardware in my rig other than a new water pump.

I've also considered the ram as being the culprit so I swapped the sticks from 1 & 3 to 2 & 4, moving the stick from 3 to 2 and the stick from 1 to 4 so that if it was the ram any (hardware) memory generated addresses in the stop errors would move but the stop errors remain unchanged down to the last hex-decimal.

Anyone here got any better ideas than I've got? I really don't want to rip out everything and start fresh. Nero is the only FUBAR program I've got and the rest of my system's purring like a kitten but I'd also like to gain access back to Nero if I can...prior to installing SP2 I never had issue with Nero and, yeah, I tried a re-install of Nero as well as a rollback of SP2 via a system restore point I created just for that purpose and neither has done a bit of good.

I'm totally bummed here guys, any help would be most welcome. Thanks.

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2005
    There were many documented problems with Nero & SP2. Subsequent releases of Nero fixed them. If you just installed SP2, I would suspect that it replaced a file it shouldn't have.

I'd try installing the latest patch for Nero as a start, it might just replace the file that boogered you. Judging by the size of their "updates" you stand a fair chance. :D
  • edited May 2005
    I had version 6.46 I think it was. It supposedly fixed the SP2 issues but if anything they're worse than ever now! It used to be that it only crashed after I opened Nero, now it crashes when I try to open Nero, it never even loads up. :bawling:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2005
    The version I have is 6.6.0.12, it was updated within the last week or two.

The problems with Nero & SP2 go back to the (SP2) initial release. I've been applying every Nero update since then w/o problem. If I've got you right, you installed SP2, then things went to pot. Have you tried a Nero update (even if it's a reinstall) since then?
  • edited May 2005
    Yeah, I had version 6.0 something or other and went straight from that to this last one before 6.6 and it still was fubared.

With SP1 6.0 ran right as rain but now with SP2 installed I can't use Nero at all and it really chaps me, I'm planning on getting a DVD burner (someday) and since I'm comfortable with Nero I'd prefer to keep using it but I really dread having to reinstall windows from scratch just to get Nero back in usable form, Thanks though, I'll try to figure something out and if not I guess I'll just do the three R's with SP1 and call it good.

(three R's, 1: Reinstall. 2: Repatch. 3: Resist using SP2 ;D)
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited May 2005
    I know you have done this but,,,
    http://www.nero.com/enu/Support_News_Service_Pack_2_Inquiries.html?NeroSID=1728e99a10e2720714eede4a62eb3a29
    Also, I have had a few probs with Nero and Sp2. If I try to open Nero via a desktop shortcut or quick start icon, it crashes, if I go >programes>Nero>smartstart, it runs ok.
  • edited May 2005
    A 32mb d/l with dialup is a big mess, I'll just bide my time until I get a DVD-RW drive then reformat and reinstall everything.

I have tried everything possible Sir bothered and it still blue screens my pc, I just know it never did it before SP2 so I'm basically up a stump I guess.
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited May 2005
    Odd...I've never had nero BSOD on me through the various upgrades. On 6.6.0.8 now with SP2.

hmmm...most likely it will take removing Nero and all files that hang about then reinstalling the software.