Options

Reinstalling windows and MANY files cannot copy!

edited May 2005 in Hardware
Ok i had the problem where the pc wouldnt detect ANY USB. I decided to reformat. So I do and when it copying files it said

for each one

Cannot find digiras.chm, dmutil.ddl, driver.cab, dvdplay.exe, hid.dll,

these where in the first 23%

Could i just copy the files from my PC and transfer them if I really need them?

Comments

• edited May 2005
    Without the driver.cab file it's possible your pc won't boot at all, personally I'd suggest pulling the cdrom out of another pc and trying that after looking closely at your windows cd for any damage, smudges, gunk on it, or scratches to the label side of the disk.

If it's smudged clean it with a lens cloth if you have one if not use an all cotton t-shirt and a bit of alcohol and clean it starting at the center and wiping across the surface towards the outside in a straight line. Cleaning it in a circular pattern can cause circumferential scratches that will cause errors in the laser's tracking whereas a scratch across the data goove is less likely to be of any harm to the laser's ability to read the disk.

If there's a small scratch on the label side you can try covering it with black marker, I know this sounds odd but it sometimes will work if the scratch is small enough.

If the disk is too messed up on the data side I suggest investing in a Disk Dr. and using it following the instructions to the letter, they do real decent jobs of saving damaged disks.

If there's no damage or smudges, etc. on the disk then try a different cdrom drive and see if it'll read the disk all the way through.

Good luck.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited May 2005
    Sounds to me like you have other problems other than the USB and now this.

Try what madmat suggested, also check for loose cables; cd, hard drive, board connectors, etc.

Can you check your PSU voltages in the bios? A flaky PSU will cause all sorts of problems.

New heatsink a couple weeks ago? definately check for loose connections.
  • edited May 2005
    Ok, I got everyting to work perfect including the USB. But I ... just got killed with spyware. INstead of trying to get rid of it I just formatted again

Minor edit - Prof ;)
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited May 2005
    Now I'm curious, How did you fix it?
  • edited May 2005
    THe USB? it just detected the hardware and i installed the drives.

After the first reboot the computer like would work. I couldnt click on STart after like the first 4 seconds. I couldnt do anything when I opened the recycle bin, only being able to righ-click. So after a few more restarts it worked finally :)