Now i know what a hd crash feels like

EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
edited June 2005 in Hardware
Well i've had some issues with my computer. While some has been troublesome like the read errors i've written about or getting empty pop ups from ie, other where just annoying like the beeps. Now i know that the beeping and the read errors was caused the same thing.

About a month ago after finally having found the solution to the empty popups i got ready to replace the satacables to the hds hoping it would fix the beeping s and read error i thought was caused by them. So i shut down the computer and went for lunch. Afterwards i opened the case and yanked the cables then spend some time cursing my big hand as well as the display card for being in the way.

After i got the cables on i turned the pc on and heard an alarming sound. It sounded like the hds was trying to spin up but couldn't, even worse bios didn't find them. A few reboots later i realized that fixing this was over my head. I needed a pro and fast, my hds was
failing badly. The next day i took the pc to the local computer store and explained the
problem.

Needless to say i didn't sleep well that week. A couple of days later i tech guy explained that he had been able to save the data :) so then it got time to rma the drives. He noticed that the drives had gone bad yet not because of rough handling. Since i got the first drive last march and the second in December they just couldn't be to old so the only theory i had then was that i'd gotten bad drives. I've heard people here talking about it just didn't
think one could be so unlucky to get 2 of them purchased at different occasions. Oh well.

Through some mistakes i mae regarding how the store i got them from (komplett) should give my the rma numbers it took a while before i got the rma-numbers but at least at Wednesday 3 weeks ago i sent the hds to them. Since shipment would take a few days i expected to hear from them the next week. I idn't know if they would contact me or just send my the new
drives. The did the latter las Monday i got a mail saying i had something to pickup at the post office. The sender was komplett. :) I got it and delivered it straight to the computer shop.

The next day i got the computer. Then the tech guy had done some more testing and figured that the psu was failing too. He thought this because after installing the new drives they sounded just like the old ons yet when he switched psu they worked just fine. He though
that heat was the cause of this, more on that later. I got a new psu, made
by fortron and headed home. Since i had other thing i had to do it wasn't until 2200 that i uninstalled the old psu. Next day i installed the new one only to find that the power plug for the mobo was too large. Unfortunately this was around 8 and they didn't open until 10. When the did i went there bringing the psu. The only model with enough power and correct plug they had in
stock was an 480w antec. Since i really didn't want to wait i got it even though i knew it was way to powerful for my needs.

A few hours later it and all the other cables was installed and the pc running with no noise from any drives. I thought the the new psu would be everything but quiet but the computer even now under fah doesn't sound more then the old psu. :scratch::thumbsup:

Anyways if heat got to it then how will i know if it happens again. Many of you warned about the sonata yet i figured that since i wasn't going to oc i would be fine. According to asus pc-probe i still am but it doesn't measure at the top of the chassi where the psu is. Since the psu has 2 fans it should run cooler and i think it does. When touching top of the chassi
before i could feel quit a lot of heat but i just touched it again and it's barely warm. This must mean it's cooling the top better ie drawing more air.

So what should i do with the psu, rma it. If so must i include the chassi. I really don't want to take the pc apart again. Sorry for the long post. BTW you really shoud run a spell checker on your posts. I ran my through openoffice and my god did i find some errors. Just a hint. :D

Comments

• EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited June 2005
    Some input please. If i'm to rma something it prolly can't wait too long.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited June 2005
    Do you really have to include the case if you RMA the PSU? :scratch:

I guess you just have to ask yourself if it's worth the hassle, I mean it sounds to me like your just happy to be up and running.
    edited June 2005
    Donut wrote:
    Do you really have to include the case if you RMA the PSU?
    :scratch:

That's what i'm trying to find out.
    Donut wrote:
    I guess you just have to ask yourself if it's worth the hassle, I mean it sounds to me like your just happy to be up and running.

It is worth the hassle if i get something back but i don't know what that would be. The only thing they could do would be to send me a new psu, but then it wouldn't take long before the same thing happend again so i don't know. Perhaps i just have to move on.

I am happy to be back in business so i'll prolly not go any furter with this. I still would like to confirm that heat killing the psu was what happened. If that wasn't the case then there might be some other error i don't know about that needs fixing. Still though i'm just glad to have my computer back in one piece.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited June 2005
    Re: Now i know what a hd crash feels like .

You didnt have a hard drive crash. You has a psu die. Thats was misdiagnosed as a hard drive crash.

Tex
    edited June 2005
    Well actually it was both. The psu died and took the harddrives with it. Therefor i do know what a hd-crash feels like. If only the psu had died there wouldn't have been any read errors now would it.

BTW one of those errors manage to wipe out most of the Lego files i had. While i do care what happens to my computer it's more of an interrest rather than a hobby unlike some of you. My real hobby is building stuff with Lego. Therefor i'm really pissed over the fact that virtually every model i've ever built save for some files i kept at my homepage was deleted along with lots of ebooks and other documents. Of all the folder it could have wiped why did it have to be that one. I've downloaded some apps i lost but most of the stuff i wont even try to find again even if i did download it before, i'm just gonna move on.

I had plans to go into rc but because of a change in my economy i wont be doing that for a few months. This however might be good for me since it gives me time to sort out some stuff, for instance printing labels for the boxes and containers of Lego pieces.

Nothing has really gone as it should after my move in mid february. It took 3 or so months before i got internet working since i forgot to change my adress before i moved. During this time i couldn't really build anything because the inspiration for it was online. I did manage to build a small crane but the files was deleted in the crash. After that i only had the computer for a few weeks before the crash so i finally have it working again and can move on.
    edited June 2005
    EyesOnly wrote:
    Well actually it was both. The psu died and took the harddrives with it.

Since your new drives did the same thing and the problem was solved with JUST A PSU change. I suggest your old "BAD" drives were not actually bad either. You just needed a PSU swap and those old "bad" drives would of been magicaly cured.

Tex
    edited June 2005
    The scary thing is you might be right. But how does that explain the missing files. Why only from one folder.
    edited June 2005
    Thats not a HD crash. The drives were having trouble spinning up and you corrupted a filesystem. I could of recovered the data for you.

Tex
    edited June 2005
    Tex wrote:
    Thats not a HD crash. The drives were having trouble spinning up and you corrupted a filesystem. I could of recovered the data for you.

Tex

Too bad you didn't tell me that before, wait you couldn't have since my computer didn't work. If so how come everything was copied except those files. It wasn't even an entire folder just some subfolders. I take it that trying now would be pointless because i've run several restoration programs and none seem to find my missing files. I so wish i'd had a second computer because then i could perhaps have gotten it all but i don't and now it's gone.

There were prolly alot of things i could have done different but the only thing i could think of was to save the data and i thought that a backup would solve it. Didn't consider the possebility of a corrupted filesystem. Looks like it's back to moving on. Again. :(