adaware uninstall problem

csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
edited September 2003 in Science & Tech
ok ...first of all I've tried the adaware uninstall and the add/remove method and each time I get the same "cannot open install.log" error ...any ideas?

csimon

Comments

• SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited September 2003
    Try re-installing the program on top of your current installation, then try uninstalling it again.

If that doesn't work, post back mate.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    why didnt i think of that? !:banghead: ...thanks spinner I'll give that a try first thing when I am back at work!
    edited September 2003
    ok ...I re-installed and tried uninstall and the same problem exists ...I hate software that does this.
    edited September 2003
    ok ...I did a search and found that at the lavasoft forum there is a link to a file that fixed the uninstall problem ... http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=9599
    check out the second post for the link

From the readme file:

"Lavasoft Ad-aware v6.0 Uninstall Fix 1.0 By Shaun Janzen of Definition Software

NOTE: This fix is not by Lavasoft and has nothing to do with them. Do not ask
    Lavasoft for technical assistance regarding this fix. If you have any
    questions please E-mail me at: definitionsoftware@shaw.ca

This program fixes the problem in Ad-aware v6.0 that doesn't allow you to
    uninstall the software if it has been installed in the default folder.

Simply run "AA6UnFix.exe" and click Next. Now you should be ablt to uninstall
    Ad-aware v6.0 as usual. (From Add Or Remove Programs and from the Start Menu
    using the "Uninstall Ad-aware 6" shortcut.)

This fix requires the Visual Basic 6 Runtime Library files. If you receive an
    error when using this fix, please download the appropriate drivers. Here is a
    direct link to the English version. Other languages can be found on microsoft.com.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/vb60pro/Redist/sp5/WIN98Me/EN-US/vbrun60sp5.exe

What exactly does this fix do?

When you click Next to start the fix, first the Uninstall section of the Windows
    Registry is checked to determine if there is a listing for any edition of
    Lavasoft Ad-aware. If a listing is found, the path to Ad-aware is extracted
    from the Uninstall String.

Next, a copy of the INSTALL.LOG is made and put into the detected Windows
    folder on your system (named AA6INSTALL.LOG).

Now the Uninstall String in the registry is altered and pointed to the new
    location of the AA6INSTALL.LOG file. It is changed to this because the syntax
    required by Add Or Remove Programs is not possible with the default Ad-aware
    setup. (Due to there being a " " (space) in the Ad-aware program path and no
    equivalent DOS 8.3 filename.)

At this point your harddrive is searched for the "Uninstall Ad-aware 6" shortcut.
    If found, this shortcut is removed and a new one is put in it's place that points
    to the new AA6INSTALL.LOG file. (This step may take a few minutes on some systems;
    on my system the entire search of 20GB takes about 1 second.)

Upon completion, and if everything worked as intended, you should now be able to
    use the Uninstall shortcut and Add Or Remove Programs to properly uninstall
    Ad-aware."

The reason I installled adaware in the first place should be obvious ...the reason I wanted to uninstall is because the IT guy here told me that spybot found spyware by adaware that adaware wasn't reporting. Dunno if that matters or not but frankly this whole thing is just going too far.

Thanks Spinner!!!
    csimon :fold:
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    A simpler way is to just delete the files and use a registry program like reg cleaner and delete the program's registry entries.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    I run both spybot and adda, they find different things.
    It doen't matter which I run first, the other finds more.
    I still have one damn add popup that I am trying to kill.
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited September 2003
    Black Hawk said
    A simpler way is to just delete the files and use a registry program like reg cleaner and delete the program's registry entries.

Well either way, it's nice too know there is a couple of ways to remove it. I can't stand programs which don't uninstall properly.