Digital Cameras: Secure Digital or Compact Flash

iDunnoiDunno Dallas, Tejas
edited June 2003 in Hardware
Ok, im looking for a digital camera for my vacation this july 4th weekend.

I am kinda confused on what kind of media my camera will use.
If i get a compact flash camera, i can use my 512MB card from my dell axim pda, but if i use secure digital, i can put it in my dell axim and transfer the photos over to the compact flash but this means having to buy another secure digital card.

What are some pros/cons of using compact flash cards or secure digital.

Thanks

Comments

• CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    You can lock the SD card. And it's smaller. That's the only difference other than price that would be worth mentioning for what you're doing.
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited June 2003
    I would go for SD memory, its cheaper.
  • mcwcmcwc Vancouver, BC Member
    edited June 2003
    It is only a few dollars difference from SD memory to regular compact flash. The faster compact flash would obivously cost more. I would go with compact flash. You can get larger memory sizes with compact flash (up to 1G) over SD (up to 256MB) and if you want to upgrade your digital camera to a higher end one or even to a DSLR (digital SLR), they use compact flash. The big camera manufacturers like Canon, Nikon, and Kodak use compact flash. So, stick with compact flash, and save the extra $$ for a better camera or for something else.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    BUt on the other hand, SD is making headway into the arena.. It's a newer tech. True, 256mb is the limit ATM, that sucks, but it is cheaper and very small. I've been seeing more and more devices with SD slots, including a lot of non-camera devices. HP iPaqs have SD slots, Nintendo GC has adapters for them, etc. Their size is their biggest advantage.
  • edited June 2003
    Compact Flash is the only way to go. They've made CF type II (Microdrive) as large as 8 gigs! (I've seen as big as 2 gig type I.)

But, one thing I have discovered, is that its nice to keep all your portable devices using the same type of flash memory. It makes it a lot easier to drop some serious cheddar on a big card. For example, I have a CF MP3 player and my Canon S230, it makes it easier to consider a 512 card, because I can use it with either one, depending on the occasion.

Now I need to get a pocket pc with a CF slot....