wifi

edited June 2005 in Science & Tech
is using someone else's wireless connection illegal. like war driving. i mean not looking at what they are doing but just internet surfing. and it isnt enscripted.

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    It's as illegal as going onto someone elses lawn and using it to sunbathe. Technically it's probably not illegal, but it isn't something people are going to love you for...
  • edited June 2005
    Enverex wrote:
    It's as illegal as going onto someone elses lawn and using it to sunbathe. Technically it's probably not illegal, but it isn't something people are going to love you for...

It is more illegal than that, try going into your neighbor's yard, hooking up your hose and washing your car.

A commodity is being stolen; even though it is an intangible one.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    And people may get really upset if they have down/up limits for a given period of time.
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited June 2005
    I leave mine open just so visitors or neighbors can just hop on if needed. One of my neighbors also runs a open link, and I hop on it sometimes when I'm in the yard and out of reach of mine. I've never had an issue, but if I ever do it's not hard to filter out nasty stuff.

You might find some people are more sharing than others. If it is open because they are stupid, you might find yourself in a mess. Otherwise, try asking you may be surprized how many people run open networks.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited June 2005
    Rob wrote:
    I leave mine open just so visitors or neighbors can just hop on if needed. One of my neighbors also runs a open link, and I hop on it sometimes when I'm in the yard and out of reach of mine. I've never had an issue, but if I ever do it's not hard to filter out nasty stuff.

You might find some people are more sharing than others. If it is open because they are stupid, you might find yourself in a mess. Otherwise, try asking you may be surprized how many people run open networks.

A very interesting take on the situation Rob.

Not sure I want an "open" wireless network but I did offer to run cat5 network cable over to neighbers on both sides so they could get my highspeed internet. Thats about as friendly as I will get for neighbers though.

Tex
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited June 2005
    My opinion is that information should be encrypted on the client and server. If I were doing something like a VPN at the gateway it would be a problem. But, I just treat my own network as a hostile network (like in a hotel).

I am a service provider for commercial connections, so at home I guess I just am used to someone using my pipe ;)

If a abuse situation were to arise, and it hasn't in over a year, it is not that hard to do something about it. I would rather put in a little more work and share my connection. I guess I just have a geek friendly house.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    My friend has an open wi-fi signal going over to the neighborhood, and you can get it at my house, which is about three away?? eversince he bought a $10 antena off of ebay his signal strength is great??
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    My friend has an open wi-fi signal going over to the neighborhood, and you can get it at my house, which is about three away?? eversince he bought a $10 antena off of ebay his signal strength is great??

... is that a question?
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    there are 4 question marks, so yes, it is a question (or four).
    edited June 2005
    no...im not sure what it was, after i wrote that I crashed....into my bed, you never know what ill write when im tired and on the internet. LOL ;)
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited June 2005
    tefleming wrote:
    It is more illegal than that, try going into your neighbor's yard, hooking up your hose and washing your car.

A commodity is being stolen; even though it is an intangible one.

i agree. ive done it and wouldnt want people doing it through mine, but it's their fault they were noob enough not to secure it at ALL! :D
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited June 2005
    I personally would never leave my wifi open. As much trust as I have for those around me, there is a certain liability that you need to consider. I am not in the slightest bit concerned about someone compromising my home network, or using my internet access to check their email. Not everyone is going to simply check their hotmail on your access point. They can use it for all sorts of illegal or questionable activities. Ultimatly, it can be traced right back to you, and they'll come knocking on your door. Perhaps I'm a little on the paranoid side, but in this day and age, I'd prefer to play it safe.

I know a few people who actually have their APs on lamp timers to shut off at night. WEP as a bare minimum should be used, and SSID broadcasting should be disabled.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited June 2005
    lemonlime wrote:
    I know a few people who actually have their APs on lamp timers to shut off at night.

thats a great idea. i used to use a timer like that for a fan in my room; i can't sleep without at least 2 fans blowing one me, all times of the year.
    edited June 2005
    yeah, but most people in my town that have wireless are rich and just wanted something easy to install, me and my friend go driveing in the rich areas of town with his laptop, and open up his wifi finder program and multiple hotspots come up, only 1 or 2 have WEP enabled. and a few you can access all the computers on the networks harddrives....just about all of my friends have wired since its more sevue, aside from the one that lives down the street, but his is directional and you can only get is about halfway down the driveway, and a few houses down from mine, and the only people that live in the houses are old. so he's not worried. but the cool thing about it is that you cant get it from the street but we can get a good signal at my house.
  • redchiefredchief Santa Barbara Member
    edited June 2005
    Using a neighbors wireless without permission is probably not real kosher. Use with permission, then the network can be secured and still accessed. There are no less than 6 signals in my front yard. Tempting, but without permission, it wouldn't be right.

So, where's this great $10 antenna?
    edited June 2005
    got it of ebay, he just searched for "wifi antenna", not sure if they still have any on there or not, but if I had wireless id look for one. bad thing about it is that its directional., but that can be a good thing to
    edited June 2005
    i just went to his house and couldnt find any branding on it???? its white rectangular...beyond that I cant tell you much more :scratch:
  • redchiefredchief Santa Barbara Member
    edited June 2005
    I'll check, I had built one of the directional yagi's but had't finished it up yet.