386 changing cpu problem

athalonheadathalonhead Member
edited July 2005 in Hardware
My parents have a old 386 computer.It had a 100 mhz pentium cpu. I found a old gateway computer that had a 120 mhz cpu so I put it in their computer. before I installed the cpu I went into bios and reset the bios to defaults because there was a post here about changing the cpu and that is what it said to do.
Now when you boot up sometimes it has a black screen or a bunch of letters. When it does boot up it stops and says push delete to setup or f1 to continue. If you push f1 it boots up ok. In system properties general tab It dosent say the mhz of the cpu like it did before.
I switched back the original cpu and it still has the same problem.
Do i need to do somthing In dos?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    A 386 and a pentium are totally different processors. So, actually your parents have a pentium computer, not a 386.

First of all, if it worked fine before the upgrade, chances are the 120mhz processor is bad or unsupported on that board. Second, a 20mhz upgrade isn't gonna do anything for you on that machine. What are they doing on that computer that requires an upgrade? If they need an upgrade that bad, spend $299 and go to best buy and buy them a modern computer.

Put the original processor back in, and then reset the CMOS. You do that by unplugging the computer, locating the CMOS battery (usually a 5v CR2032 lithium cell - the round flat silver ones), and removing it for 30 seconds. Reinsert the battery and try booting it up again.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited June 2005
    time to upgrade mom and dad.. you could put a P3 system together for probably less the a few hundred bucks. I built upgraded my mom and dad from a 400 celeron HP to a 1 gig amd duron. my dad was skeptical till I took it over on Christmas day last year and hooked it up. I got a call from him after a few days, wow is all he could say. The machine ran circles around his old box, it cost me 30 bucks to build cuz I bought some cheapo case, the rest of the parts came out of my home file server (sucked to give that up but was broke and needed a gift for mom and dad...)
  • athalonheadathalonhead Member
    edited June 2005
    They are ok with the computer even though it is really slow.They have alot of family pics and have it like they want it-you know they dont like change- I was just playing with it and now I just want to fix what I did. I will try reset the cmos by removing the battery.
  • athalonheadathalonhead Member
    edited July 2005
    I was at my folks house the 4th and there is not a cmos battery on the mb. In bios there is a reset cmos and I did that with the original cpu and it did not change anything. It still boots up ok sometimes and sometimes it boots up with a kind of triple screen where the start button still works to shut it down. When it boots up ok everything works normally/no lockups or anything. This is a real old custom built computer. It was a 100mhz cpu -40 mb memory. stands up like a normal computer. Any other ideas ?