WEIRD stuff in LCD Land...

PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
edited July 2005 in Hardware
Okay, how's this story for strangeness...

After finally getting my new DFI system up and running (changed memory and hard drive and replaced a dead keyboard), I'm downloading HL2 Bronze last night. I tried to start the game before it was fully downloaded and the computer hung. I tried CTRL-ALT-DELETE, but no joy. So I hit the reset button....computer screen goes into standby with no BIOS load.:eek:

After changing my underwear, I remember I still heard the hard drive thrashing even though there was no picture on my Dell 2001FP LCD. This time I start the computer and leave it alone....no picture and LCD in standby until the XP screen says "Loading your system settings." Now, I'm thinking I didn't change any settings, why would the LCD not display the BIOS booting, but would display the OS loading?

I tried switching to an old monitor and using a DVI-to-VGA converter on it's cable. Everything worked fine...BIOS displays and OS displays.
I tried using the D-SUB connector on the Dell with a DVI-to-VGA adapter on the 6800GT and again everything worked fine...BIOS displays and OS displays.

BUT when I use the DVI connection on the eVGA 6800GT to the DVI on the Dell, the monitor doesn't receive a signal until the OS loads. I have also reset the Dell to factory defaults.

Other than RMAing this monitor, does anyone have any ideas? I'm TOTALLY stumped by this :scratch: ...

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited July 2005
    I used to use old sun 20' fixed frequency monmitors that did the same thing. You never saw anything until the windows drivers took effect and set the frequency to match the monitor.

Tex
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Tex,
    The weird thing is it JUST started doing this. Until last night, the BIOS loading displayed fine....