Motherboard: Intel D865PERL
Processor: Intel Pentium 4/ 3.0 GHz
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 80 GB 7200 RPM
Sound Card: SB Audigy
Video Card: eVGA 6800 w/ NVSilencer 5
Power Supply: Ultra X-Connect 500/w
Memory: Crucial 1 GB (512 x 2) DDR 400 PC 3200 RAM

---

The main reason I'm looking to upgrade is because of my framerate issues in game. I frequently experience having a constant 60-100 fps and then for a few seconds (sometimes much longer) I will get this drop where it will lock at 15 fps. Not really sure how to fix it and I've adjusted my settings to try and handle it.

Here are my video settings:

settings3po.jpg

I changed Lighting to Low as well, and I still have FPS problems.

Any tweaks???

Comments

• qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited July 2005
    Are the spikes concurrent with any activity in the game? I don't play BF2 but I know others around here do and might have some advice on that. It is a new game as well .. perhaps its a known bug (have you checked the BF2 forums?).

Another possibility is that you have a process that's writing to the disk and hogging the CPU during these times. You might want to post a list of the running processes so we can look that over. If this was the case you would notice your HD activity light flashing when the FPS locks.

I also had a ton of problems with my audigy causing lagging me in various games (switching to onboard sound removed the problem) before I got rid of it. You may want to check that you have the latest drivers and, when other possibilities are exhausted, you could try removing the soundcard and going with no sound / onboard.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    It's a game bug I believe. I get about 60-100 FPS but once in awhile the game will be real jerky for a bit and you can't do anything about it. It seems like a connection problem but it isn't.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    I had problems till I played with the sound settings (HW/SW/EAX)
  • edited July 2005
    I'm using an original Audigy, do you think a new soundcard would make the difference? or maybe some in-game settings?

What would you guys suggest?
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    The game is buggy as hell, the patch should have been out Thursday, but it's an EA thing so maybe next month I don't know.

I do know that I play with my quality settings set to Medium, then I change the AA to 2x and my resolution to 1280x960 @ 75Hz w/ MAX view distance which seems to run great on my system. But I have:
    Radeon 9800XT
    Athlon64 3000+
    MSI K8TNEO FIS2R
    1GB PC3200 Kingston HyperX DDR
    Onboard Sound

BTW I would think you should check out, and everyone who isn't a guru with computers to go to tweakguides.com and check out the XPTC, either ATi or NVidia driver tweak guides, and then the BF2 tweak guide. The amount of performance gain I got from doing it was astonishing, though I stopped using F@H on tihs system too :p
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    FWIW, I believe there's a bug with the connection setting. Not sure what menu it is in but select DSL/Cable (or whatever is named similiar) instead of T1. Doesn't matter what connection you have. They say you get some lag spikes (or just general lag) if you select T1.
  • edited July 2005
    Yup, I have Cable selected.