How do I set it up as a service?

chipatkinsonchipatkinson San Antonio Texas
edited July 2005 in Folding@Home
I need some help setting up my daughter's computer to run folding as a service. I downloaded the program and installed it...but I can't remember how to set it up to run as a service.

Anyone out there who can offer some help?

Comments

• MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited July 2005
    I believe you just answer YES to "change advanced settings" (or whatever it is called) and when it gets to the part of asking if you want to run it as a service, say yes.

That's assuming you downloaded the Text Only Console Version and not the GUI.
  • chipatkinsonchipatkinson San Antonio Texas
    edited July 2005
    Not sure if its working or not.....the FAHlog still says configuring.....

How long does it take to configure and does it have to do a unit before I can set it up as a service? My other computer has cog icon that is visible when the service is running.

I answered yes in accordance with the set up guide provided in the sticky thread...but not sure it is working as intended.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2005
    Did you get the "No nonsense..." 5.02 console version?

The initial configuration window stays open until you close it. Assuming everything else went right, Folding should load automatically as a service on your next boot. If you right-click the Taskbar, then left-click Task Manager, you should see two items running which begin with FAH. One of them (the FAHCore_##) using a high percentage of the CPU. There will be no icon or whatever anywhere. If you want to monitor it, there are ways of doing that.

The service uses whichever folder it was in when you installed it as the place to store your current WU data, configuration file, etc. If you had it on the desktop when you first ran it you probably saw a boatload of new icons appear there soon afterwards. The best thing to do is make a new folder in Program Files (I like to name it FAH, but it doesn't matter) and run the service install from there.

Let us know what you've done up to now, and what Task Manager shows. we can advise you on the rest from there. :)
    edited July 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    Did you get the "No nonsense..." 5.02 console version?

The initial configuration window stays open until you close it. Assuming everything else went right, Folding should load automatically as a service on your next boot. If you right-click the Taskbar, then left-click Task Manager, you should see two items running which begin with FAH. One of them (the FAHCore_##) using a high percentage of the CPU. There will be no icon or whatever anywhere. If you want to monitor it, there are ways of doing that.

The service uses whichever folder it was in when you installed it as the place to store your current WU data, configuration file, etc. If you had it on the desktop when you first ran it you probably saw a boatload of new icons appear there soon afterwards. The best thing to do is make a new folder in Program Files (I like to name it FAH, but it doesn't matter) and run the service install from there.

Let us know what you've done up to now, and what Task Manager shows. we can advise you on the rest from there. :)

Yes, I used the no-nonsense version. When I look at task manager, the FAHCore shows using 99% but I don't see any service option.....the FAHlog still shows it trying to configure...doesn't show any w/u receipt yet. I installed it in a folder on the C drive called F@H.

Any ideas? I don't remember it taking this long to get a W/U when I installed it on my computer....but that was a while ago.

Thanks for the help y'all. We appreciate your patience :)
    edited July 2005
    Another question....why does one of my computers have a cog icon in the lower right of the screen that shows progress when you put your cursor over the icon and the other computer has no such icon?
    edited July 2005
    Try this:

1) Find the FAH502-Console.exe program in the folder from which you installed it.

2) Right-Click on it and create a shortcut.

3) Rename it FAH502-Console -configonly (This makes it easy to re-run the configuration program if you decide to change something later)

4) Right-Click on the shortcut you just made, then left-click on "Properties"

5) In the "Target" box add -configonly at the end of the ...Console.exe" Make sure there is a space between the last " and the -configonly part (See attached picture)

6) Click "Apply" then "OK"

7) Double-Click the shortcut you just made and re-run the configuration dialogue

8) Type in the items below when requested, hitting {Enter} after answering each question

9) The proper responses are these:

User name – be sure and type it exactly as you want it, including case sensitive

Team Number – 93

Launch Automatically as a service – Yes

Ask Before fetching/sending WU’s – No if on “always connected” broadband; Yes if on Dial-up.

Use Internet Explorer Settings – Yes

Allow receipt of WU’s greater than 5MB – Yes if 512MB or more of RAM; No if less than 512MB of RAM

Change Advanced Options – No

Restart the computer and check Task Manager to make sure it's running alright. :thumbsup:

:smokin:
    Another question....why does one of my computers have a cog icon in the lower right of the screen that shows progress when you put your cursor over the icon and the other computer has no such icon?
    The graphical client puts a cog in the System Tray down by the clock; the service runs "hidden" like any other Windows background service. :)

If you want to monitor the console (service) version you can use a program like EMIII. If you need help setting it up, just holler. :D
    edited July 2005
    Thanks I think it is up and running. This will be my third computer folding. I can see the first two on EMIII, but can't seem to see the third one. Can EMIII see more than two computers? If so, is there something special I need to do to see the third one? All three are on my home wireless network and I have the folding folders marked as shared.
    edited July 2005
    ...I can see the first two on EMIII, but can't seem to see the third one. Can EMIII see more than two computers?
    Absolutely. :D
    If so, is there something special I need to do to see the third one? All three are on my home wireless network and I have the folding folders marked as shared.
    Use the "Browse to the F@H folder" on the General Info setup screen in EMIII. Highlight the FAH executable file, then click "Add a box". If it complains that it doesn't look like the file you chose is the right one just tell it to use it anyway. :thumbsup:
    edited July 2005
    Works great! That computer is up and folding....working on my other daughter's computer...it was folding but quit.....not sure why....deleted the console, folder, etc. Downloaded the no-nonsense version....loaded as a service...hopefully it will turn in a work unit soon and I'll have three computers folding for the team!

Thanks all for your help and support :thumbsup:
    edited July 2005
    Sounds like you have it all going fine. :thumbsup:

One thing I should have mentioned is that if you click on the white icon in EMIII with the tooltip "View Change", you can set it to see more than one computer at once without scrolling. You probably already knew that, but just in case... :)
    edited July 2005
    Is there a way to have it default to view 3 so it shows the boxes without me having to scroll and without me having to change to that view each time I access EMIII?
    edited July 2005
    :scratch:

My EMIII always reopens in the same view configuration it was in when I last adjusted it. :confused:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2005
    Ditto.
    edited July 2005
    uninstalled and reinstalled.....it now opens in last saved configuration. :D